IGNORED

Season Tickets 2022/23 (12,000 sold as at 10th May)

phantom

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Respect your view, but I don’t.

I just can’t see anyone else buying one who doesn’t already if they were the same price. On that basis why didn’t they do so for 21/22? After a year plus without anyone being able to actually go?

We know we are in a very difficult place financially thanks to Ashton & that Pearson is being asked to rebuild without any significant funds.

Next season is highly likely to see more of the same, plenty of youngsters & a few free transfers or lower league buys.

Sadly their best chance of keeping their income is to ask those already committed to pay a bit more.

Agree with what you say but I just get the feeling a lot of people have been in two minds lately whether to renew. Partly because of the football but mainly because of the cost of living, which has affected thousands more recently.

Its easy to say -yeah of course I’ll renew- when you can afford it but loads are really struggling and just seeing a slight increase may sway them.

I’m in the fortunate situation where I can afford it and might be worrying on others behalf unnecessarily. I don’t really know!

Eurgghh an already unattractive product becomes even uglier. 

It's a modest increase but not so much when you buy multiple STs. 

Unless I've missed it I also hate the way the club completely ignores it in its announcement, hiding behind the "good news" of the frozen children's ticket.

Really don't think these tickets are very good value for money particularly with the forseen future lack of investment in the playing staff and poor quality football. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Up about 3%. I know it’s a small increase but can’t help but think they’d get more people onside if they’d froze them and therefore taken more money overall.

I think all the historical statistics point to the opposite, most people make the decision based on if they want to and then find a way to fund it making cuts elsewhere.

I think we tried previously lowering ticket prices for games and you get a couple hundred but you lose out overall because the tickets are cheaper - I assume ST are the same.

18 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

I know that they need to balance the books, but some crude maths, based on an average increase of £10 for 10k tickets (kids prices frozen), then it's only an additional £100k of revenue. So you'd only need 250 fans (at an average ticket price of £400) to decide not to renew to actually be worse off than price freezing. Then there's the lost match day revenue.

Very crude maths I know, but it will be marginal the benefit to the financials from doing it.

Good numbers, I guess what the club are playing with is will 250 people make the decision based solely on financial matters. If people are just fed up with the shit football we've been playing for the last few years then they won't be renewing if it stayed the same price.

I think quality of football and atmosphere are bigger determinants than finance.

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Agree with what you say but I just get the feeling a lot of people have been in two minds lately whether to renew. Partly because of the football but mainly because of the cost of living, which has affected thousands more recently.

Its easy to say -yeah of course I’ll renew- when you can afford it but loads are really struggling and just seeing a slight increase may sway them.

I’m in the fortunate situation where I can afford it and might be worrying on others behalf unnecessarily. I don’t really know!

I’m sure there are & don’t disagree at all.

I said in a thread a week ago, football is in the midst of a cultural shift, when I was young you didn’t even find out the latest score of away games without a short time lag (Radio Bristol didn’t do commentary & would periodically say, “there’s been another goal at Fratton Park, let’s join our man at the game to see who has scored”).

Now plenty watch games online (legally or not) & the red button has decimated both midweek away support & those ST holders who live significant distances away or have work commitments.

I do think the pandemic will see a realignment of football finances beyond the obscenity of the Premier League but as a club that has made more mistakes than many we have further to go to correct the imbalance than most, hence this.

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Unless I've missed it I also hate the way the club completely ignores it in its announcement, hiding behind the "good news" of the frozen children's ticket.

Eh? It's in the very same sentence: "Under-12s will receive a Season Ticket, including a home outfield shirt, for as little as £55 in a price freeze that also includes Under-19s, while there has been a small price increase on adult tickets, which start from £365."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m sure there are & don’t disagree at all.

I said in a thread a week ago, football is in the midst of a cultural shift, when I was young you didn’t even find out the latest score of away games without a short time lag (Radio Bristol didn’t do commentary & would periodically say, “there’s been another goal at Fratton Park, let’s join our man at the game to see who has scored”).

Now plenty watch games online (legally or not) & the red button has decimated both midweek away support & those ST holders who live significant distances away or have work commitments.

I do think the pandemic will see a realignment of football finances beyond the obscenity of the Premier League but as a club that has made more mistakes than many we have further to go to correct the imbalance than most, hence this.

Fingers crossed for this realignment.

I’m just reading Geoff Merrick’s book where he says as captain of top tier Bristol City he was on about twice the average uk wage.

That would today be about £50k………….a year, not a week!!

I know that’s never going to happen and maybe quite rightly but it kind of shows how ridiculous it has got.

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Eh? It's in the very same sentence: "Under-12s will receive a Season Ticket, including a home outfield shirt, for as little as £55 in a price freeze that also includes Under-19s, while there has been a small price increase on adult tickets, which start from £365."

Thanks I did miss it

• Like 1

One thing the club could do - and I hope they are already working on it - is to try and work with First to increase the transport available to games.

Marvin is going to get his clean air zone at some point which will likely mean increased traffic in the areas not in the zone (which from memory includes BS3), so if there were more options for travel that meant people could leave their cars at home I would imagine that would prove popular.

And, if you haven't got your car, you can drink more booze!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Crikey, do you think so?

They're the games I struggle to get to because of work and motorways forever closing after 10pm.

What with that and the now ridiculous traffic on the M5 for the majority of months nowadays, it’s getting hard work.

I have similar challenges re midweek matches. As I understand it, the World Cup break for the Championship is three weeks so there will be a few matches to squeeze in elsewhere albeit I know we are starting a week early next season (30 July). 

Before I go any further, I won't be getting one purely because of not living in Bristol. If I did live in, or around the area, I probably would due to not having one since 2008/9.

Now that's out of the way, the increase is actually not bad at all. Yes it's an increase and people are struggling etc, but as a club we're facing another difficult year due to the finances, so with that in mind it would have been easy to hike the prices up even more!!

However, I think the club may have missed a trick here. What they could have done is said that as a thanks to all existing season ticket holders, the price will be frozen for 1 week. After that, the prices will increase to this, and then after that they will increase slightly again once they go on general sale. 

That way they are giving people the chance to renew at no extra cost, but would probably still make more by increasing the prices at the other times as well.

That being said though, I can't really fault them for the pricing that they have gone for. To be honest, that small increase will probably see a large majority of current ticket holders to still renew. For the ones that don't, it will probably be because they can't renew. 

I really want to pick holes in what they're doing, but there's not a lot to pick at to be fair.

53 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/november/efl-fixture-schedule-202223/

Season starts in July (it’s like we’re in Scotland!) and then EFL only postpone during the group stage of the WC, still means a month off. 
It’ll cover what was an international break this season but it’s 5 games to be scheduled elsewhere vs this season. 

Weirdly, the Championship restarts at the end of the group stage, as you say....there will presumably be lots of postponements with teams still missing players on duty.

Edited by Steve Watts

I’ll be renewing, but probably would have come what may, as I’m lucky enough for it to be something I can afford and adds real value as a family for myself and the kids. However, I totally respect anyone who chooses not to renew in view of the current economic circumstances.

I’d imagine the club have made the calculation that those who feel in view of the economy have to sacrifice a ST would do so in any event. I don’t think the increase is unreasonable (for me and the two kids, it’s £16 extra), and the club have probably come to a view that the modest increase won’t turn renewals off.

Bottom line - if you were going to not renew due to the economy, you likely wouldn’t renew even if we’d dropped 2%. If you weren’t going to renew due to the entertainment, you weren’t renewing whatever. If you intended to renew, the increase is small enough it won’t move that dial.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I’m happy to swallow the extra tenner on ticket price, but it’s the inevitable food and drink increases that will make it a more expensive day out

At least we have a choice of where to buy our food and drink in order to keep the costs down.

29 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I’m happy to swallow the extra tenner on ticket price, but it’s the inevitable food and drink increases that will make it a more expensive day out

Anyone who buys food and drink in the ground or fan village is mad when there is far better quality and cheeper stuff all around outside the ground so many good places to eat and drink that are a max of 5 mins walk away,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dredd said:

There's a B&M Bargains and KFC over the road... if you're THAT lazy to not walk two minutes before the game, that's on you.

47 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

hiding behind the "good news" of the frozen children's ticket.

As somebody with no kids and who never bloody wants them. I just don't wanna be contributing to kid's seats and shirts. Yeah, only £55 - great! But the cost is made up somewhere.

50 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It's an awful video though…they could have got some better music…it's a bit morose…I suppose it could be apt for the season ahead ????

Seriously? That's your complaint? The music in a video you'll only ever watch once. It's fine. What do you want it to be? Wurzels wouldn't exactly fit.

53 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I wonder how many of the current SC holders planning to renew won’t renew because of £10-20 rise?  If you weren’t gonna renew anyway, for whatever reason, the rise becomes irrelevant.  There will be a small number (???) who were hoping for a slight reduction to justify buying again, who now won’t buy.

My guess is that there will be a reduction of SC sales, and that reduction will predominantly be for other factors, not a price rise per se.

But we shall see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TBW said:

There's a B&M Bargains and KFC over the road... if you're THAT lazy to not walk two minutes before the game, that's on you.

As somebody with no kids and who never bloody wants them. I just don't wanna be contributing to kid's seats and shirts. Yeah, only £55 - great! But the cost is made up somewhere.

Seriously? That's your complaint? The music in a video you'll only ever watch once. It's fine. What do you want it to be? Wurzels wouldn't exactly fit.

Perhaps you're taking my comment too seriously?! ???

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder how many of the current SC holders planning to renew won’t renew because of £10-20 rise?  If you weren’t gonna renew anyway, for whatever reason, the rise becomes irrelevant.  There will be a small number (???) who were hoping for a slight reduction to justify buying again, who now won’t buy.

My guess is that there will be a reduction of SC sales, and that reduction will predominantly be for other factors, not a price rise per se.

But we shall see.

That’s what I said!

There are, and I mean this in the nicest way, some bloody daft comments on here. The price rise won’t stop those who were renewing anyway doing so, and anyone expecting a marked reduction just isn’t paying attention. We’re failing FFP. Money from season tickets helps that situation. We may want lower paid players, but that scenario can’t occur until contracts work out. 

My question for anyone bemoaning the cost is “What did you expect, and what would it have taken for you to renew?”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So one adult in the South Stand is roughly the same price as a season ticket at both Real Madrid and Barcelona combined. It's a complete rip off. How about spending less on players and being a community club, rather than wannabe plastics?

100%, my point earlier on the thread was that the meagre financial gains in increasing season ticket prices could easily be off set by not wasting money on players wages.  

15,000 season tickets increasing by £10 brings in an extra £150,000, a tiny drop in the ocean when compared to outgoings on players salaries.  How anyone can justify any increase blows my mind when looking at the bigger picture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

15,000 season tickets increasing by £10 brings in an extra £150,000, a tiny drop in the ocean when compared to outgoings on players salaries.  How anyone can justify any increase blows my mind when looking at the bigger picture.

E0obPTaXIAAMGzP.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s what I said!

There are, and I mean this in the nicest way, some bloody daft comments on here. The price rise won’t stop those who were renewing anyway doing so, and anyone expecting a marked reduction just isn’t paying attention. We’re failing FFP. Money from season tickets helps that situation. We may want lower paid players, but that scenario can’t occur until contracts work out. 

My question for anyone bemoaning the cost is “What did you expect, and what would it have taken for you to renew?”

You think an extra £150k will help with FFP when we lost £37m or whatever it was?  Do the maths, it won’t touch it