IGNORED

Parachute payments, the gap is growing

myol'man

EFL have been hitting out about it for 2 years, what can be done.

Independent Regulation aside of course. My proposed idea was allow an equal amount to Solidarity Payments to be included in the accounts ie through Profit and Loss and the rest as cashflow or similar.

Glad the article mentioned Fulham, they have since 2001/02 to present been in receipt of either PL cash from staying there or Parachute money and not having a season where it runs out- PL or Parachute funded for 2 decades!

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Easy, make FFP exclude trampoline payments. Even with a points deduction Fulham would still go up!

Agreed. Although would we also be willing to exclude solidarity payments- hence my bit about inclusion of an amount equivalent to the former included with the bulk excluded.

Solidarity Payments IIRC are between £4-5m per season for each club not in receipt of Parachute Payments.

Would they go up? In theory yes...but counterfactually would they have a) Been able to add Wilson b) Retain Mitrovic c) Perhaps Gazziniga and Muniz especially the latter for his fee would also come into question...may have had to sell more, sign less to avoid said points deduction and the same goes for many sides.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

It's hardly surprising, with all the money you get "awarded" from being relegated, all three of those teams should be favourites to go back up, with at least 2 being able to do it at the first attempt. 

You obviously get the odd screw up come down and struggle for a few years (and drop even further in some cases - Sunderland), and there's always the odd surprise package that manages to build a good squad up over time (Brentford), however it is getting increasingly difficult to break through that threshold.

Most clubs that come down, rather than try and make sure they are financially stable after being relegated (which I thought was the original idea of the payments), will just rebuild their squad with even better players at this level, in the hope that the next time they go up, the newer players will help them stay up next time. Clubs like Norwich, and Fulham are excellent at doing this - just look at Fulham this season, clearly a class above. It's a seriously flawed system, but I don't see it changing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, myol'man said:

How about allowing wealthy club owners (ie Lansdown) to match the spending of the parachute clubs?

That would then open up the floodgates for the next Bury or Portsmouth.

Can you imagine half of the league throwing millions away just for a chance to compete with the PP clubs. You're going to end up with a lot of clubs falling short, and consequently going out of business. You may as well just throw PP away if that were the case. 

Something needs to change, but there still needs to be rules and governance involved, otherwise all hell breaks loose.

This demonstrated how far away city are from the Premier League. Fulham are miles ahead this season, and probably the Premier League whipping boys next year again when they go up. 

The big 6 want to do away with parachute payments, but its teams like Crystal Palace, Newcastle that want to keep them. The types of clubs that could get relegated. Saving their own backsides basically, as they are shit scared of doing a Sunderland.

I Notice in the news, that our payments to intermediaries and Agent's   have gone down by a small amount in the last financial year...........strange though, that considering Pearson will have nothing to do with Agent's, that City paid out a fee to HIS Agent .......  when he signed a 3 year contract?

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Notice in the news, that our payments to intermediaries and Agent's   have gone down by a small amount in the last financial year...........strange though, that considering Pearson will have nothing to do with Agent's, that City paid out a fee to HIS Agent .......  when he signed a 3 year contract?

Players agents. 

48 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Meanwhile, back in the world where the money tree grows, premier League teams paid a total of £272 m to agents in 20/21 season. man City were up top spenders with £35m paid to agents.

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Meanwhile, back in the world where the money tree grows, premier League teams paid a total of £272 m to agents in 20/21 season. man City were up top spenders with £35m paid to agents.

It's all relative.........Man C received over £150 mill from the Prem alone.........and when u add on sponsorship, advertising Etc Etc, the figures are huge..............as I said, it is all relative.

4 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

He doesn’t deal with players agents which is what he said. He never said he didn’t have one.

It's a moot point,  because of course Mr Gould will now deal with players reps, it just makes me laugh when Pearson states   " I never talk to agents, never have done, and never will" while his own contract is negotiated by his agent.  I will come clean,   ......     I don't like Pearson, and I believe he will ultimately be a failure at City, so I am coming from a position of bias when I criticise a manager who doesn't coach, doesn't believe in the loan system, and   likes throwing players under buses.  I will always support my club and all the players who represent it.........  I  just look forward to the day when Pearson is gone.