IGNORED

5 SUBS.

pillred

Back to being allowed to use 5 substitutions in the Premier league from next season personally I think they have become too tactical and favour the bigger clubs with large squads which now give them even more of an advantage, I'm not advocating going back to the 70s when only one was allowed but think 5 is too many.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 4

Not a fan to be honest.  I found this tidbit interesting though....or erroneous...not sure which.

The Premier League was the only major competition to ditch the rule because some clubs felt it gave those with bigger squads an unfair advantage.

This suggests that we are still allowed 5 in our league, but that's not right is it? Or is the BBC now forgetting that the Premier League isn't the only one in the UK?

It's also unclear if the extra two subs are instead of or in addition to a concussion sub (therefore allowing more than 5)

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Back to being allowed to use 5 substitutions in the Premier league from next season personally I think they have become too tactical and favour the bigger clubs with large squads which now give them even more of an advantage, I'm not advocating going back to the 70s when only one was allowed but think 5 is too many.

I agree with you 5 is too many. 3 is more than enough in most matches.

The Rugby is impossible now with changes happening all the time I hope they don’t spoil the footy. 

• Like 3

Right, and this is from memory (which is shit). Didn't Klopp & Pepp bang on about needing 5 last year, then not even use the ones allowed ?

Anyway , I'd say 3 from 7 , or even 9 would be fine. Then the extra can be confusion subs or blood subs. 

Edited by 1960maaan

2 hours ago, westonred said:

I'm in favour of 5 subs, the youngsters on the bench might get some game time if 5 are allowed which can only be good for them 

I said make a rule where subs 4/5 can only be players who’ve played less than ‘x’ amount of first team minutes before the season begins as a way to encourage youth development 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not sure what the rationale behind it is either.

Big advantage for the big teams. The few at the top have probably 2 full XI's they could field, they can now change half a team if things aren't going their way. The lesser teams have may be a good squad , but won't have the depth. 

Many changes seem to be loaded towards helping the Bigger sides

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I said make a rule where subs 4/5 can only be players who’ve played less than ‘x’ amount of first team minutes before the season begins as a way to encourage youth development 

I like this.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Would not surprise me if EFL follow suit.

This still gets me why the top league and not others.

I mean the situation with VAR. It should of been used in championship and leagues 1 & 2 at same time. What ever ones feelings on VAR, and I am not totally convinced by how it works yet. There has to consistency across the professional game. I mean this early round cup game lack of it being used at some games and not others is total bollocks. No fair playing field for all teams. I know the cost of VAR is prohibitive esp. for League 1 & 2 clubs. So come on premier League. How much are you making. Let's see it distributed down the leagues. Therefore same with 5 subs across all professional leagues.

Just my opinion of course.

COYR

The problem isn't the number of subs, it's the number of matches a modern top flight player has to play in a season. The season never ends for some of these guys. An international player in the premier league is going to get about 3 weeks off this summer, that's off the back of a season that had an international tournament before it, and which itself came off the back of a season that started early.

Then this season coming up includes a "break" in November during which international payers will jet off to the desert to play in the world cup. These international tournaments are all in the process of being extended, both in terms of time and in terms of number of teams (and therefore players) involved.

It is concepts such as the Europa Conference League, pre-season tournaments, Scotland (and other teams) being asked to play Nations League games in June, and other madcap ideas, that then couple with squad limits to mean that payers are playing 50 - 60 competitive games every season, with only 3 or 4 weeks off inbetween.

Increasing the number of subs is a sticking plaster over that systemic problem with modern football. It does benefit bigger teams, who can afford greater depth of quality through their squad. But it is symptomatic of a much broader and deeper issue.

All of the above just costs clubs more money, as they need to employ more players, travel more, pay more bonuses etc, and so defeats the (supposed) point of squad limits anyway.