IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth away match day thread

Good day fellow-Reds it’s good to be back with league action.

I will so regret this. Which English and Scottish league football teams name include a body part, where the word is not slang so not Arsenal or Scunthorpe, not extended so not Preston North Bell End or West Hamstring United and not misspelt so not West Bromwich Elbowion or Lincolon City. I can think of nine (listed at the end) but suspect there are more.

Looks like our visit to the south coast today will be the last one for a while.  The Cherries lost in the playoffs last season to eventual victors Brentford and so will be hoping to go one better this time around. Away tickets sold out in mid-March, as City supporters snapped up 1,318 tickets for the trip to the Vitality Stadium.

The last time the two sides met at their place was in October 2020, a goal on 81 minutes from Arnaut Danjuma was enough for three points in a 1-0 Cherries win. Their home league record against us is W 18, D 12, L 8.

Their league home form this season is played 18, won 10, drawn 5, lost 3 and their last five home games WWDWD. However, they were knocked out of the FA Cup after a 1-0 home defeat by non-league Boreham Wood in the fourth round. The winner came in the 38th minute, scored by 37-year-old captain Mark Ricketts. Bournemouth had 82% possession in that match but registered only two shots on target as they were embarrassed by a side four divisions below them.

Prior to the break they beat Huddersfield away 3-0 with Solanke involved in all three goals, he is their leading scorer with 23.

Over the years we have won 38, lost 29 and drawn 23 times against them.  At Ashton Gate when we played them in October we had just 26.8% possession when they beat us 2-0 to remain unbeaten, highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-0-2-afc-bournemouth/

They are on 69 points from 36 games and as mentioned look like they will return to the Premier League, having been relegated in 2020 after five years of playing in the top flight of English football.

Lloyd Kelly made the move to them from us in May 2019, Kelly joined AFC Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee, reported as £13 million, after eight years at Bristol City. https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/kelly-signs-for-cherries/

His story is remarkable, he:

spent 11 years in foster care

had three different foster homes

cannot remember exactly when he last saw his mother

made his debut for Bristol City in 2017

represented England at under-21s level

trained with Gareth Southgate's senior squad

has been made Bournemouth's captain

This is Lloyd Kelly's story: https://www.sportbible.com/football/bournemouth-captain-lloyd-kelly-has-an-inspirational-story-20220319?source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Lsn574_nqqQE9NQMp7hMT9540EjRXe8_b9_lZDVHiTKHf91jF7FFTkps

The media are touting that he is on his way to Newcastle at the end of the season, if he does move we stand to benefit from his sell on clause.

Mark Travers returned early from international duty due to injury, but Scott Parker has suggested he’ll be fine for today, on Thursday he said ‘he pulled out of the Ireland squad with a slight problem with his quad, but he seems all good now at this present moment in time.’

Sounds like Alex Scott will in the City squad, George Tanner is perhaps a maybe. However, the others who are injured are still returning to full fitness, so no Kalas, Williams, King, Semenyo or O’Dowda,

Stephen Martin from Staffordshire is the referee today he’s taken charge of 28 games and issued 86 yellows and four reds. He was in charge for our 2-1 home defeat against Nottingham Forest.

Pubs and grub

The Bell, 915 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH7 6AX. https://www.facebook.com/TheBellPubBournemouth/

Mello Mello, 677 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH7 6AA. The biggest pub in Bournemouth!

Cricketers Arms, 41 Windham Road, Bournemouth, BH1 4RN. Well preserved Victorian pub near the station; separate public and lounge bars, tiled fireplaces and lots of dark wood, etched windows and stained glass, Fullers London Pride and two quickly changing guests, food includes bar snacks (home-made scotch eggs), regular live music including folk, jazz and bands; children welcome, dogs in bar, picnic-sets out in front, open all day. http://cricketers-arms.edan.io

Best fish and chips Chez Fred, 10 Seamoor Road, Bournemouth BH4 9AN. https://chezfred.co.uk/

Bournemouth banter

• The first beach hut allowed to hold weddings and civil partnerships was in Bournemouth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-15405869
  • Bournemouth cleaned up with the record for the most people to shower simultaneously at a single venue in 2011. Wearing just bikinis and swimming trunks on a cold September day, the 152 men and women gathered under a huge shower that had been specially built on the beach. However, the record was smashed when 396 people took a shower at Irish Springs in Dover, Delaware, USA, on 15 June 2018.
  • Bournemouth used to be in Hampshire not Dorset. The town was part of Hampshire, until 1974 when it became part of Dorset as a result of a local government reorganisation.
  • Bournemouth has been home to some pivotal writers, such as JRR Tolkien, Enid Blyton and Mary Shelley, the creator of Frankenstein. Mary Shelley is buried in Bournemouth with her husband’s heart. Her grave is in the graveyard of St Peter’s Church in the town centre.
  • The first ever recorded mention of Bournemouth was in 1406 when an 18 foot fish washed up on its shores, although at the time, the area was called ‘La Bournemowthe.’
  • After Liverpool and London, Bournemouth was the UK town where The Beatles played the most concerts. In the summer of 1963, The Beatles were playing at the Gaumont Cinema, just a couple of doors down from their stay at the Palace Court Hotel (now a Premier Inn). Their manager asked photographer, Robert Freeman, to shoot some pictures of the band ahead of their album release ‘With the Beatles’. The photographer captured them in the corridor of the Palace Court Hotel where he was able to catch the iconic half-shadow shots.
  • Bournemouth's town hall, which used to be the Mont Dore Hotel back in 1885, held telephone number three, which was one of England's very first telephones.

Back to the teaser, the nine I came up with: Peterhead, Heart of Midlothian, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Colchester, Plymouth Argyle.

Enjoy the day and here’s to an upset and us returning with three points, COYR.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Robin 1

AFCB annoy me. Historically, a yo-yo club between L1 and L2 in much the same way as the likes of Crewe, Stockport or Port Vale. A small club that punches well above their weight due to foreign money. 

I’m not expecting anything out of today, but it also wouldn’t surprise me at all if this is one of the games we turn up in. COYR.

• Like 1

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/afcb-bournemouth-v-bristol-city-10-games-to-go.15638/page-3

waz has been on the BCFC training pitch all week as hired help for nigel pearson, sharing his profound knowledge of the five at the back formation with their defenders our forwards won't get a sniff this afternoon....

They played a four at the back at their place, they will inevitably play with a three today. Against a four we are able to create overloads out wide and Solanke doesn’t become isolated. Against a three/five neither is the case and we are often unable to threaten for large periods.

As per West Brom, Bournemouth have the better team and individuals on paper, but it is about our players winning as many of the personal battles as possible and showing total commitment.  Then you never know what can happen.

Another chance for Wells up top, be interesting to see where Weimann plays…maybe RWB?

Heres the kind of line-ups Bournemouth have been going with:

DA40684B-EDA9-42EC-810F-9A44C8EA074B.thumb.jpeg.3e374fb1683ee128c26c932eb4c4cc20.jpeg

613124AE-562E-43EE-8308-9A0B6F09C58A.thumb.jpeg.7ea0eb9a57cf300007745ce611785322.jpeg

Pretty settled CBs and left side, but a bit of rotation at RB with Stacey (very good imho) and Smith.  Billing glides around if you give him the chance, and I’d be very tempted to tell Massengo to man-mark him.

Christie is very good technically and finds space, but I think you can rough him up a bit though.  Pring at LWB over Dasilva today for me.

Martin will do well to get much change aerially out of Nat Phillips and Kelly, so will need Wells to pick up any loose stuff.

My eleven today FWIW:

Bentley 

Cundy | Klose | Atkinson

Weimann | Scott | James | Massengo | Pring

Wells | Martin

Subs:

O’Leary, Vyner, Dasilva, Benarous, Owers, Bell, Conway

(Changes from West Brom 18 - Semenyo out / Scott in)

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As per West Brom, Bournemouth have the better team and individuals on paper, but it is about our players winning as many of the personal battles as possible and showing total commitment.  Then you never know what can happen.

Another chance for Wells up top, be interesting to see where Weimann plays…maybe RWB?

Heres the kind of line-ups Bournemouth have been going with:

DA40684B-EDA9-42EC-810F-9A44C8EA074B.thumb.jpeg.3e374fb1683ee128c26c932eb4c4cc20.jpeg

613124AE-562E-43EE-8308-9A0B6F09C58A.thumb.jpeg.7ea0eb9a57cf300007745ce611785322.jpeg

Pretty settled CBs and left side, but a bit of rotation at RB with Stacey (very good imho) and Smith.  Billing glides around if you give him the chance, and I’d be very tempted to tell Massengo to man-mark him.

Christie is very good technically and finds space, but I think you can rough him up a bit though.  Pring at LWB over Dasilva today for me.

Martin will do well to get much change aerially out of Nat Phillips and Kelly, so will need Wells to pick up any loose stuff.

My eleven today FWIW:

Bentley 

Cundy | Klose | Atkinson

Weimann | Scott | James | Massengo | Pring

Wells | Martin

Subs:

O’Leary, Vyner, Dasilva, Benarous, Owers, Bell, Conway

(Changes from West Brom 18 - Semenyo out / Scott in)

Any possibility that they can all be yellow carded before the game , Dave?

6 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Good day fellow-Reds it’s good to be back with league action.

I will so regret this. Which English and Scottish league football teams name include a body part, where the word is not slang so not Arsenal or Scunthorpe, not extended so not Preston North Bell End or West Hamstring United and not misspelt so not West Bromwich Elbowion or Lincolon City. I can think of nine (listed at the end) but suspect there are more.

Looks like our visit to the south coast today will be the last one for a while.  The Cherries lost in the playoffs last season to eventual victors Brentford and so will be hoping to go one better this time around. Away tickets sold out in mid-March, as City supporters snapped up 1,318 tickets for the trip to the Vitality Stadium.

The last time the two sides met at their place was in October 2020, a goal on 81 minutes from Arnaut Danjuma was enough for three points in a 1-0 Cherries win. Their home league record against us is W 18, D 12, L 8.

Their league home form this season is played 18, won 10, drawn 5, lost 3 and their last five home games WWDWD. However, they were knocked out of the FA Cup after a 1-0 home defeat by non-league Boreham Wood in the fourth round. The winner came in the 38th minute, scored by 37-year-old captain Mark Ricketts. Bournemouth had 82% possession in that match but registered only two shots on target as they were embarrassed by a side four divisions below them.

Prior to the break they beat Huddersfield away 3-0 with Solanke involved in all three goals, he is their leading scorer with 23.

Over the years we have won 38, lost 29 and drawn 23 times against them.  At Ashton Gate when we played them in October we had just 26.8% possession when they beat us 2-0 to remain unbeaten, highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-0-2-afc-bournemouth/

They are on 69 points from 36 games and as mentioned look like they will return to the Premier League, having been relegated in 2020 after five years of playing in the top flight of English football.

Lloyd Kelly made the move to them from us in May 2019, Kelly joined AFC Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee, reported as £13 million, after eight years at Bristol City. https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/kelly-signs-for-cherries/

His story is remarkable, he:

spent 11 years in foster care

had three different foster homes

cannot remember exactly when he last saw his mother

made his debut for Bristol City in 2017

represented England at under-21s level

trained with Gareth Southgate's senior squad

has been made Bournemouth's captain

This is Lloyd Kelly's story: https://www.sportbible.com/football/bournemouth-captain-lloyd-kelly-has-an-inspirational-story-20220319?source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Lsn574_nqqQE9NQMp7hMT9540EjRXe8_b9_lZDVHiTKHf91jF7FFTkps

The media are touting that he is on his way to Newcastle at the end of the season, if he does move we stand to benefit from his sell on clause.

Mark Travers returned early from international duty due to injury, but Scott Parker has suggested he’ll be fine for today, on Thursday he said ‘he pulled out of the Ireland squad with a slight problem with his quad, but he seems all good now at this present moment in time.’

Sounds like Alex Scott will in the City squad, George Tanner is perhaps a maybe. However, the others who are injured are still returning to full fitness, so no Kalas, Williams, King, Semenyo or O’Dowda,

Stephen Martin from Staffordshire is the referee today he’s taken charge of 28 games and issued 86 yellows and four reds. He was in charge for our 2-1 home defeat against Nottingham Forest.

Pubs and grub

The Bell, 915 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH7 6AX. https://www.facebook.com/TheBellPubBournemouth/

Mello Mello, 677 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH7 6AA. The biggest pub in Bournemouth!

Cricketers Arms, 41 Windham Road, Bournemouth, BH1 4RN. Well preserved Victorian pub near the station; separate public and lounge bars, tiled fireplaces and lots of dark wood, etched windows and stained glass, Fullers London Pride and two quickly changing guests, food includes bar snacks (home-made scotch eggs), regular live music including folk, jazz and bands; children welcome, dogs in bar, picnic-sets out in front, open all day. http://cricketers-arms.edan.io

Best fish and chips Chez Fred, 10 Seamoor Road, Bournemouth BH4 9AN. https://chezfred.co.uk/

Bournemouth banter

• The first beach hut allowed to hold weddings and civil partnerships was in Bournemouth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-15405869
  • Bournemouth cleaned up with the record for the most people to shower simultaneously at a single venue in 2011. Wearing just bikinis and swimming trunks on a cold September day, the 152 men and women gathered under a huge shower that had been specially built on the beach. However, the record was smashed when 396 people took a shower at Irish Springs in Dover, Delaware, USA, on 15 June 2018.
  • Bournemouth used to be in Hampshire not Dorset. The town was part of Hampshire, until 1974 when it became part of Dorset as a result of a local government reorganisation.
  • Bournemouth has been home to some pivotal writers, such as JRR Tolkien, Enid Blyton and Mary Shelley, the creator of Frankenstein. Mary Shelley is buried in Bournemouth with her husband’s heart. Her grave is in the graveyard of St Peter’s Church in the town centre.
  • The first ever recorded mention of Bournemouth was in 1406 when an 18 foot fish washed up on its shores, although at the time, the area was called ‘La Bournemowthe.’
  • After Liverpool and London, Bournemouth was the UK town where The Beatles played the most concerts. In the summer of 1963, The Beatles were playing at the Gaumont Cinema, just a couple of doors down from their stay at the Palace Court Hotel (now a Premier Inn). Their manager asked photographer, Robert Freeman, to shoot some pictures of the band ahead of their album release ‘With the Beatles’. The photographer captured them in the corridor of the Palace Court Hotel where he was able to catch the iconic half-shadow shots.
  • Bournemouth's town hall, which used to be the Mont Dore Hotel back in 1885, held telephone number three, which was one of England's very first telephones.

Back to the teaser, the nine I came up with: Peterhead, Heart of Midlothian, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Colchester, Plymouth Argyle.

Enjoy the day and here’s to an upset and us returning with three points, COYR.

Brilliant preview as ever. I'm off to find my worry beads and prayer mat. COYR!!

• Like 1

Good afternoon all!  Nice sunny day here, but still very cold, only 2c atm and the forecast is not much warmer for all of next week. So much for global warming! Let's hope there's some warming up from the lads this afternoon, although, I can't really see us taking all the points, a draw would be great, but even that seems remote.  Who knows though, sometimes we play better against good teams and can hold out to win, I certainly hope so.  Come On You Red's.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2
7 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Good afternoon all!  Nice sunny day here, but still very cold, only 2c atm and the forecast is not much warmer for all of next week. So much for global warming! Let's hope there's some warming up from the lads this afternoon, although, I can't really see us taking all the points, a draw would be great, but even that seems remote.  Who knows though, sometimes we play better against good teams and can hold out to win, I certainly hope so.  Come On You Red's.

It was cold enough in Ashton for gloves (how do I know? - because I didn't wear any!) at 8am this morning, but at least the sun was out. Yeah, this afternoon is not really about the result. It's about how we play. Can NP set the team up properly with decent tactics? Can the team play to their plan? Can we be brave at the right times? Can we concentrate on set pieces?

Of course, I'll still be upset if we don't win :)

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It was cold enough in Ashton for gloves (how do I know? - because I didn't wear any!) at 8am this morning, but at least the sun was out.

It was the same here at 09H00 (08H00 your time).

I set off for the market in brilliant sunshine after yesterday's snow, and my (gloveless) hands were frozen as I walked back with two bags full of bread, fresh fruit and veg.

Hopefully, I shall be able to find a stream later and warm myself up with a nice jaeger tea whilst the goulash is slow boiling. 

• Like 1