IGNORED

Rob Atkinson

Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got his first goal today (assist last game), looks like he’s returning to the sort of form showed earlier this season.  Let’s hope he has a strong end to the season and builds his confidence for season number two at this level.

He, Cundy and Klose did very well considering the amount of times Bournemouth got into and around our box. Poor decision by NP to take off Cundy, although overdue chance for Conway - who could have a big future.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

He, Cundy and Klose did very well considering the amount of times Bournemouth got into and around our box. Poor decision by NP to take off Cundy, although overdue chance for Conway - who could have a big future.

Agree Cundy done well wtf was that sub about talk about knock a kids confidence was no worse than klose .

42 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Agree Cundy done well wtf was that sub about talk about knock a kids confidence was no worse than klose .

Must admit, as soon as I saw that sub I thought it was to protect him, he’s been booked and is he match fit yet at this level? I’d be more concerned about it if he didn’t start next week.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Must admit, as soon as I saw that sub I thought it was to protect him, he’s been booked and is he match fit yet at this level? I’d be more concerned about it if he didn’t start next week.

I doubt it was to protect him. NP has, several times this season bought on a 4th forward when we need a goal, like a kid playing football manager!

It has never worked once, sort of half worked today, but if he had bought on Conway and taken off Martin, I'd wager we don't concede the 3rd goal with Cundy back there, and still might have got that 2nd goal for an unlikely draw.  

PS. I was fully pro NP when he joined but have little faith left in him now, far too many tactical errors using subs and in team selections.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Cundy was taken off to stop him getting a second yellow and to move to a back 4 . Some fans really are devoid of any football understanding.

Did Pearson say that post match, I haven't bothered to watch yet . I didn't think he had looked in danger of a 2nd yellow though.

Anyway,

I said early on, Atkinson had a little bit of the Webster about him. Good on the ball, looks solid and can defend. 
I think he started to feel the step up and that with a drop in confidence and everything, his form suffered. I think he has everything to be a top player for us, him and Cundy look a proper defensive unit. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Agree on Atkinson , so good to see that early promise come back. He looks far more like his old self and great potential. 

I agree.

I know it sounds very much like Del Boy's 'This time next year', but if Atkinson continues as he seems to be doing now; Tanner recovers his fitness and pre-injury form; Matt James and Joe Williams get themselves physically and match fit and we hold on to the three young amigos, next year does seem very promising. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I agree.

I know it sounds very much like Del Boy's 'This time next year', but if Atkinson continues as he seems to be doing now; Tanner recovers his fitness and pre-injury form; Matt James and Joe Williams get themselves physically and match fit and we hold on to the three young amigos, next year does seem very promising. 

I’m still not sold on Matty James unfortunately.

Just not doing it for me.

18 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’m still not sold on Matty James unfortunately.

Just not doing it for me.

If I’m being honest, I’d rather have a fit King than James.  James has had a few good games, but I saw more from King in his small amount of minutes than James in terms of being a better fit for City.  Then again, James carried his foot injury for a while.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If I’m being honest, I’d rather have a fit King than James.  James has had a few good games, but I saw more from King in his small amount of minutes than James in terms of being a better fit for City.  Then again, James carried his foot injury for a while.  

James played injured for a fair while before he went on the injured list, officially. So credit there. needs to be a squad player next season if we are to improve IMO.

Would rather have Pack back for that position if we can make it work.

18 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I doubt it was to protect him. NP has, several times this season bought on a 4th forward when we need a goal, like a kid playing football manager!

It has never worked once, sort of half worked today, but if he had bought on Conway and taken off Martin, I'd wager we don't concede the 3rd goal with Cundy back there, and still might have got that 2nd goal for an unlikely draw.  

PS. I was fully pro NP when he joined but have little faith left in him now, far too many tactical errors using subs and in team selections.

Yeah you could be right there. He might have stopped Dembele but who knows. It was a very good goal. 

I cant disagree with Nige making an attacking substitution on 80 minutes at 2-1 down. It just makes it looks like he’s trying to get something from the game. I’m not sure it should matter if it’s against Bournemouth or Barnet either. 

I agree he’s made some bad calls especially at RB position this season. Bell at RB springs to mind, can’t remember who against, but he said that day the rest of the players weren’t protecting him and that looked like what happened with Dembele’s goal yesterday, he just skipped around multiple players. 

23 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Did Pearson say that post match, I haven't bothered to watch yet . I didn't think he had looked in danger of a 2nd yellow though.

Anyway,

I said early on, Atkinson had a little bit of the Webster about him. Good on the ball, looks solid and can defend. 
I think he started to feel the step up and that with a drop in confidence and everything, his form suffered. I think he has everything to be a top player for us, him and Cundy look a proper defensive unit. 

When Tanner is fit and available, I'd like to see us try Cundy and Atkinson as a partnership in a back 4 with either Pring or Dasilva on the left.  They won't be first choice ongoing but if they are good enough to do the basics at this level than that is promising ongoing.   We're looking a little bit better defensively at the moment.  I sense Kalas could be on his way in the summer with a leader being signed.  

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

When Tanner is fit and available, I'd like to see us try Cundy and Atkinson as a partnership in a back 4 with either Pring or Dasilva on the left.  They won't be first choice ongoing but if they are good enough to do the basics at this level than that is promising ongoing.   We're looking a little bit better defensively at the moment.  I sense Kalas could be on his way in the summer with a leader being signed.  

Guess that depends on his longer term plans for Klose & frankly the opposition, because a side like the one we faced on Saturday would relish facing such a totally inexperienced back four.

Said for a while that if the deal suits us & Kalas himself, he could well be off (I actually think we have given him a rest to see what our other options look like).

Obviously we also have to resolve the situations of Moore, Baker & Vyner, too.

Easier said than done, though at least all of them are going in to the last year of their contract & in Baker’s case this is a medical rather than a playing career decision.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Obviously we also have to resolve the situations of Moore, Baker & Vyner, too.

Easier said than done, though at least all of them are going in to the last year of their contract & in Baker’s case this is a medical rather than a playing career decision.

36 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Baker has year I believe, so unless the medical advice suggests retirement he's here unless he wants to leave. But at 30 he will want to earn a wage I imagine.

Taylor Moore's time must be up, looks like he's OOC. Must be off.

Vyner. Well I still think there is a player there. Been given no chances lately, suffered a lot from being able to cover a few positions. Has a year left I think, but seems completely off RADAR. Could be off, small fee ?

Atkinson must surely be part of the plans for next year.

Cundy has to be worth a contract , even if only a couple of years. Looks a proper defender.

Kalas, year left on £27k PW. No incentive for him to move, I doubt anyone will match that wage. I can see reason for offloading a high wage, but not an easy thing to do. If we can negotiate a new deal, then maybe it could work. We will need experience defenders alongside Atkinson & Cundy. So ....

Klose could well be in the plans. Had a decent run & is a good talker. Something we have desperately needed for some time.

We need 4 Cb's whatever way we set up. I'd say Klose, Cundy & Atkinson could be 3. Kalas depends on a few things.

For the tail end of the season, I'd be happy to give Cundy & Atkinson a go as a pair. Risky, but not much to lose. The now thing against it is not having a genuine RB. If Kalas is fit, I'd go that way, just to see how we look.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re Baker, I read some stuff last week that impairments / losses due to permanent injury / retirement can be offset against FFP.

Is there any tax benefit to the club or player if a lump sum is paid immediately instead of weekly/monthly pay. May reduce our total payment? Every saving will help us.

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Is there any tax benefit to the club or player if a lump sum is paid immediately instead of weekly/monthly pay. May reduce our total payment? Every saving will help us.

I can only guess it’s all PAYE and taxed the same, but I’m no payroll expert.

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I just can't see it. Seems to be a never-ending cycle of get fit/manage minutes/play well/get injured again and repeat to fade. Unfortunately. 

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I just can't see it. Seems to be a never-ending cycle of get fit/manage minutes/play well/get injured again and repeat to fade. Unfortunately. 

Absolutely, he’s started just 10 games out of a possible 86 since joining us & even under Dave Rennie, where his availability has massively improved, he hasn’t made it on to the pitch (as starter or sub) in even 50% of this season’s games.

Planning on having him as an integral part of next season’s team is either super optimistic or ridiculous, depending on your point of view.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, he’s started just 10 games out of a possible 86 since joining us & even under Dave Rennie, where his availability has massively improved, he hasn’t made it on to the pitch (as starter or sub) in even 50% of this season’s games.

Planning on having him as an integral part of next season’s team is either super optimistic or ridiculous, depending on your point of view.

Have to agree, what a shame, but its one of so many that have been brought in for big fees and salarys and just havent been worth it.

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@1960maaan Moore still has another year, same position as Vyner.

Baker will presumably come down to the insurance situation & what he chooses to do, in theory he could see the year out, I guess.

Tough one.

Fair cop, I miss read it on Transfermkt, I was looking at his current loan contract.
We can only hope he's made an impression up there (depends what you read TBH), and they take his contract over. Either that or lower club in England.

Maybe more hope than expectation, but after reading how much they had improved hamstring strength throughout the squad, maybe there is hope for Williams. 
I agree it could be a risk to pin our hopes on him, but a fit Joe Williams would be a big asset . They will have a full summer to work on strengthening, and he will be fit enough to do any exercise needed. Plus a full preseason to come.
Optimistic I know, but I think he's a player we could really do with.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Fair cop, I miss read it on Transfermkt, I was looking at his current loan contract.
We can only hope he's made an impression up there (depends what you read TBH), and they take his contract over. Either that or lower club in England.

He’s made an impression, unfortunately a bad one.

Been an unused sub now for loads of games on the spin, he couldn’t even get in a few weeks ago when they had 7 out injured.

Have to be another club that takes him off our hands, I think.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s made an impression, unfortunately a bad one.

Been an unused sub now for loads of games on the spin, he couldn’t even get in a few weeks ago when they had 7 out injured.

Have to be another club that takes him off our hands, I think.

Quite a quick change of opinion, as he was receiving rave reviews when he first arrived.

• Thanks 1