IGNORED

Matchday Parking Zone in and around BS3

CyderInACan

There’s obviously a lot of ifs and buts around this and it might just, of course, be some pre-election preaching to the converted, but it might actually be something that does happen with a significant number of locals fervently in favour. 

It’s well known that getting to AG is a bit of a faff and public transport options aren’t all that great, but I wonder how much of an impact it would have on attendances if you quite simply couldn’t drive to the games. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/council-finally-considering-funding-ashton-6896224?fbclid=IwAR31glsTEPFkxUUhqKhLfLDb2jCEIsxIoHafDZ2AaX_7ia7ENHxEcMyUczc

• Thanks 1

Throw in Marv's clean air zone and it's a perfect storm!

Wouldn't it be nice if from a wide range of places you could just jump on a bus and get taken to and from the games? Pretty sure they are/were doing busses down Gloucester Road for the rugby when that first switched to Ashton Gate.

Maybe it's time for the club to do a gurt big survey on how we travel, where we travel from and what alternatives we would like to see and support.

• Like 1

• Admin

“ When Bristol Sport were given the go ahead to rebuild Ashton Gate into a 27,000-seat capacity stadium around eight years ago, a Matchday Parking Scheme was written in as one of the conditions of getting planning permission.

The condition stated that Ashton Gate Stadium would fund a parking scheme if one of two things happened - Bristol City won promotion to the Premier League, or attendances at City home games rose to a certain level.

That condition would be triggered if three out of five consecutive Bristol City home games saw an attendance of more than 25,000. There was no provision for Bristol Bears matches written into the planning consent, because at the time the rugby hadn’t switched to Ashton Gate.“

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/council-finally-considering-funding-ashton-6896224

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never understood why anyone that buys a house near a major sporting venue is surprised that a large number of cars appear on event / match days. Surely if you buy a house in that vacinity then you surely accept a degree of disruption. No different than living next to a school and constantly having your driveway blocked or cars parking on pavements as close to the school gates as possible. Parking issues have been raised in and around Ashton Gate since the First division days when restrictions first started appearing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Never understood why anyone that buys a house near a major sporting venue is surprised that a large number of cars appear on event / match days. Surely if you buy a house in that vacinity then you surely accept a degree of disruption. No different than living next to a school and constantly having your driveway blocked or cars parking on pavements as close to the school gates as possible. Parking issues have been raised in and around Ashton Gate since the First division days when restrictions first started appearing.

It's completely different to living near a school. If you're dropping a child off you're being an asshole for 5 minutes. If you're doing the same thing at football, you're doing it for hours. Something should be done to ease the congestion but there's never a good excuse for parking illegally nor price gouging on parking facilities.

Edited by Sleepy1968

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

What would a parking scheme actually entail?  

I'd imagine it would mirror the existing schemes on the other side of North St. ie it will be parking for permit holders only between certain times on matchdays specifically 

For the more enterprising residents of BS3 I guess it could be a nice little earner . . . 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I imagine stopping football fans parking!  Which doesn’t feel like a parking scheme to me?

Well it is, it's just a parking scheme that doesn't favour the football supporters....

• Like 1

Coming from Yate to games, this would be more than awkward. Long Ashton P&R is the wrong side, and you’re then starting to think of the centre of the city from the direction I come in from. The car parks a bit further out but Ashton side like off Malago before they butchered it don’t offer parking for long enough.

On a related note, Bournemouth on Saturday was perfect. Parked at the ground for £1. 

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Coming from Yate to games, this would be more than awkward. Long Ashton P&R is the wrong side, and you’re then starting to think of the centre of the city from the direction I come in from. The car parks a bit further out but Ashton side like off Malago before they butchered it don’t offer parking for long enough.

On a related note, Bournemouth on Saturday was perfect. Parked at the ground for £1. 

can you use the P&R on the Portway?

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Oh, how good would it be if we had a proper regional authority and mayor that could do some proper joined up planning. You could call it Avon…..

Which everyone hated, not saying you’re wrong (WECA should be it, North Somerset should be allowed to join) but we don’t have any sort of track record for ever getting this right.

Edited by GrahamC

I haven’t driven down for either football or rugby since the Bris Park&Ride service was stood up. I really can’t fault it, and although there were some teething issues it seems to work much better post match now.  

Problem is though, expanding that service from other locations costs money, and it’s pretty clear that no one involved really wants to fund an expansion. This may force the issue.

As it is there is a new P&R site at Yate, with one planned for the M32.  They could easily be serviced by a single route on matchdays.  

48 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It's completely different to living near a school. If you're dropping a child off you're being an asshole for 5 minutes. If you're doing the same thing at football, you're doing it for hours. Something should be done to ease the congestion but there's never a good excuse for parking illegally nor price gouging on parking facilities.

How is parking legally near a football stadium for hours being an asshole ? Imo anyone parking illegally for even 5 minutes should be ticketed..my point being what are the council doing in other areas of the city where there is even more 'illegal' disruption and on a daily basis. 

55 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'd imagine it would mirror the existing schemes on the other side of North St. ie it will be parking for permit holders only between certain times on matchdays specifically 

For the more enterprising residents of BS3 I guess it could be a nice little earner . . . 

The area around Ashton Gate already has the highest prices outside London on those ‘park on my drive’ websites. 

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Possible - it’s a bit wrong side again and makes the journey back that bit longer.

If I didn’t have two kids who had an aversion to using their legs things’d be do much easier!

my journey time has increased quite a bit by not driving to AG but there isn't really any other option than to use public transport.

I use a mixture of Firstbus and AG buses. It's not really that far for kids to walk from the car to the bus, to the stadium

Edited by exAtyeoMax

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I imagine stopping football fans parking!  Which doesn’t feel like a parking scheme to me?

Exactly that Dave. It feels very much like simply parking restrictions. A parking scheme would offer a solution to those wanting or needing to park in the area to attend an event. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

How long did it take you to get away afterwards SD? We parked on a nearby street and it was without doubt the worst ground for getting away from this season. We moved 50 metres in half an hour then just turned round and drove 10 miles in the wrong direction before switching the sat nav back on! 

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Which everyone hated, not saying you’re wrong (WECA should be it, North Somerset should be allowed to join) but we don’t have any sort of track record for every getting this right.

I guess there’s no perfect solution! I remember Avon, but not really well enough to know whether that judgement is fair. I know Mrs Thatcher hated it because it elected Labour administrations that covered otherwise true blue parliamentary constituencies. 

WECA doesn’t really work. Not just the N Somerset issue, although that’s a big problem, but also - I think - a more fundamental one which is that it still plays second fiddle to Bristol, Banes etc.

The regional authority that’s arguably most successful is Greater Manchester. They are very clear that when members - elected or otherwise - meet they are acting for Greater Manchester, not for Rochdale, Wythenshawe or whatever. And they have far more buy in to this from their members than many others manage. Too often people at WECA see their role as representing Banes, Bristol, Yate, whatever at WECA.

Its always easier to focus on the micro - 200 residents around Ashton Gate can organise a far more effective campaign that 20,000 people from across the region who’ll be affected by the same issue. 

Tough one, I don’t really know what the answer is!