IGNORED

Those Penalties we've not been given, a question.

1960maaan

Looking back at the one Saturday , easily given ? The more I watch the more I think not 100%. But from the other angle I think it is.

Anyway, can we make a list of the ones WE think should have been given, even could have been given, I have a shocking memory so I'm no help, but....

Martin away at Bournemouth.
Semenyo away at Fulham

I think there was a shout against WBA, Scott was brought down in one game, but as I say my memory is shite.

Can we put together a list, just for a laugh as I know every team could, but it would be interesting.

• Like 1

City have had a lack of penalties for several seasons. I remember LJ saying pretty much the same as Nige so it’s not a this season’s phenomenon only.

From memory I can only think of one penalty in the last couple of seasons and Wells promptly missed it……………………...:disapointed2se:

Edited by Robbored

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

City have had a lack of penalties for several seasons. I remember LJ saying pretty much the same as Nige so it’s not a this season’s phenomenon only.

From memory I can only think of one penalty in the last couple of seasons and Wells promptly missed it……………………...:disapointed2se:

Martin scored at Cov, of course he waited until almost half time when I was getting beer & food. Easy to miss that one obviously .

• Haha 1

Clear one on Dasilva at Fulham, Scott v both QPR & Forest, Coventry away when the keeper took out O’Dowda (should also have been a red), Massengo at Preston.

Handball v West Brom, Weimann also appeared to be tripped when through on goal in the same game, 2 claims for fouls on Semenyo at Preston (on balance you usually get one of them).

That’s off the top of my head.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Clear one on Dasilva at Fulham, Scott v both QPR & Forest, Coventry away when the keeper took out O’Dowda (should also have been a red), Massengo at Preston.

Handball v West Brom, Weimann also appeared to be tripped when through on goal in the same game, 2 claims for fouls on Semenyo at Preston (on balance you usually get one of them).

Cheers Graham, I was thinking about them and wanted to try and have another look in the cold light of day. Probably won't all be on Youtube, but worth looking . Thanks.

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Cheers Graham, I was thinking about them and wanted to try and have another look in the cold light of day. Probably won't all be on Youtube, but worth looking . Thanks.

Most of our penalty claims don't even reach the EFL highlights,

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Martin scored at Cov, of course he waited until almost half time when I was getting beer & food. Easy to miss that one obviously .

Our 1 penalty scored this season in the League I think.

Opponents have scored 7 against us, plus Bentley saved one recently v Blackburn.

Some of these examples there’s only been a token appeal on the pitch whereas other teams would’ve done more than throwing their arms in the air and then accept it.

There was no real appeal from Dasilva or any of the team at Fulham and the same could be said of the ones at home to forest and qpr. 

On Saturday other than Martin and Weimann nobody appealed. If the referee is swayed by player reaction that gives the impression that those two are appealing more out of hope than expectation 

37 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Just another conspiracy against us from the EFL because they want us relegated.......oh wait, no that was WRDC (and they have had at least 2 pens this season)

Points deductions are a form of penalty yes.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And saved one v Huddersfield too.

Thought there was another.

To be fair if the referee and his assistants are keeping up with the play, debateable in some cases?, and watching what's happening the players shouldn't need to appeal!

Would be interesting to hear a referees panel review the penalties that we haven't been awarded against the ones that have been given against us.There might be some interesting excuses!

9 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Some of these examples there’s only been a token appeal on the pitch whereas other teams would’ve done more than throwing their arms in the air and then accept it.

TBF, though I would like us to play the game and appeal more, I also want them to concentrate and not forget the ball when it's in play.

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

Would be interesting to hear a referees panel review the penalties that we haven't been awarded against the ones that have been given against us.There might be some interesting excuses!

I would love that. While some have been 50/50, some I have been able to see why it's not been given, there have been some blatant ones. I would love to hear the excuses for those. 

Just looked at some stats. You have to go back to 17/18 where we reached the giddy heights of 16th least awarded Pens , for us to get more than 2 Pens in a season.

This year

1702832910_Screenshot2022-04-04at14_09_11.png.256a9c5f7874df12c928a9727a7ee2fb.png

20/21

1813524515_Screenshot2022-04-04at14_09_41.png.ca515e7946f57e543c42d9831090d025.png

19/20

1554937679_Screenshot2022-04-04at14_10_08.png.06f167752e1c87b4c41b18a3b9504557.png

18/19

2018154385_Screenshot2022-04-04at14_10_32.png.a10a22d763f2ab3fd6abdf1d11aa936b.png

Now some can be explained away because we rarely got into the opposition area . But Law of averages seems to dictate you would have one season where you'd get more . 

17/18 - 4

16/17 - 8

15/16 - 5

Our promotion year we got 8, a year where we ran teams ragged and definitely got plenty of box entries. Swindon were top with 12 Pens.

Proves nothing, but interesting.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Semenyo at Swansea also - a pretty obvious penalty not given.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Other clubs have to do far less than us to get pens, even tiny teams like Preston so its not like its a big club favouritism.

Many of our non pens could have been given

Many of the pens against us might not have been given

All about bias' of referee's, also probably Ashton Gate too nice.

We are also lowest in the table of pens versus expected goals so its nothing to do with the old joke about having to get near the goal.

Are we too hated by refs or too nice? Tricky one.

I would also like to see a penalty conceded table... Must be top of that this season

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Semenyo at Swansea also - a pretty obvious penalty not given.

For me, the ones against Swansea, Forest, QPR, WBA (the lean-in arm ball one) and Bournemouth were definite penalties. The Preston ones - no. The Coventry one might have been outside the box but the ref didn't even give a foul. Ridiculous. The Fulham one - haven't seen. 

Part of the problem is that some of the fouls have been relatively innocuous and so easy not to give. Eg Saturday. (It was actually a really poor decision by Lloyd Kelly to challenge for the ball like that.) 

Sod's law when we do get one - in about 2026 - it will be  soft or the foul non-existent or when we are 3-0 down.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

League- penalties awarded across this and last season

2020/21

Swansea Home- Goal (Wells)

Norwich Home- MISS (Wells)

2021/22

Coventry Away- Goal (Martin)

That's it- although we got and scored 1 at Millwall in the Cup last season.

@cidercity1987

9 awarded against us in the League this season so far.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Other clubs have to do far less than us to get pens, even tiny teams like Preston so its not like its a big club favouritism.

Many of our non pens could have been given

Many of the pens against us might not have been given

All about bias' of referee's, also probably Ashton Gate too nice.

We are also lowest in the table of pens versus expected goals so its nothing to do with the old joke about having to get near the goal.

Are we too hated by refs or too nice? Tricky one.

I would also like to see a penalty conceded table... Must be top of that this season

I think were too nice, we need to get a nasty streak, Alex Scott is the best player we have at buying a foul he feels a player in his back and he just goes straight down, rightly or wrongly but the refs always give those, just never seems to happen in the box.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

TBF, though I would like us to play the game and appeal more, I also want them to concentrate and not forget the ball when it's in play.

I would love that. While some have been 50/50, some I have been able to see why it's not been given, there have been some blatant ones. I would love to hear the excuses for those. 

Refs forum basically backed the calls v Preston IIRC- Murray intimated Semenyo dived too in that game.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

League- penalties awarded across this and last season

2020/21

Swansea Home- Goal (Wells)

Norwich Home- MISS (Wells)

2021/22

Coventry Away- Goal (Martin)

That's it- although we got and scored 1 at Millwall in the Cup last season.

@cidercity1987

9 awarded against us in the League this season so far.

Crikey! I didn’t realise that we’d conceded 9 this season and only been awarded 3 in the last two seasons. That’s a remarkable stat.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Crikey! I didn’t realise that we’d conceded 9 this season and only been awarded 3 in the last two seasons. That’s a remarkable stat.

I forget how it went last season but get the feeling we had more than two awarded against us in the League- I know one of your favourites missed one vs us late last season or was it a Bentley save? Don't recall.

Just checked- we had 6 given against us in the League last season.

From the start of 2020/21 to present the awarded:conceded ratio in the League is 1:5.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I forget how it went last season but get the feeling we had more than two awarded against us in the League- I know one of your favourites missed one vs us late last season or was it a Bentley save? Don't recall.

Here you go, this year  - Given 1, conceded 9

981682468_Screenshot2022-04-04at16_42_16.png.673072d0fb2949e2c22cfb46725801a6.png

Last year - Given 2 , conceded 6.

1752847340_Screenshot2022-04-04at16_42_51.png.80e047043f1a7f00bb2bc860194fa78e.png

I don't think conceding Pens is a real surprise , and the only question is why we weren't top last year as well. We have spent a lot of the last 2 years on the back foot defending our area. Means a lot more opportunities for a risky challenge.

If the Semenyo one is the one I'm thinking of, I remember Murray saying it wasn't a pen. I still think it was as AS was in full flow when the defender runs onto his line and AS hits his leg. Interpretation I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Here you go, this year  - Given 1, conceded 9

981682468_Screenshot2022-04-04at16_42_16.png.673072d0fb2949e2c22cfb46725801a6.png

Last year - Given 2 , conceded 6.

1752847340_Screenshot2022-04-04at16_42_51.png.80e047043f1a7f00bb2bc860194fa78e.png

I don't think conceding Pens is a real surprise , and the only question is why we weren't top last year as well. We have spent a lot of the last 2 years on the back foot defending our area. Means a lot more opportunities for a risky challenge.

If the Semenyo one is the one I'm thinking of, I remember Murray saying it wasn't a pen. I still think it was as AS was in full flow when the defender runs onto his line and AS hits his leg. Interpretation I guess.

Thanks.

I assumed that there would be some kinda hefty correlation between dominance and penalties but seems a bit more random over the last two seasons! Yes being on the backfoot, forced back deep can make a side more susceptible.

Peterborough are porous as hell though, they must be better in and around the box penalty wise. Very open side...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

City have had a lack of penalties for several seasons.

Fifty years ago the EP commented that City had just two  penalties all season. Geoff Merrick suggested it was due to City not attacking enough, especially way from home.