IGNORED

Those Penalties we've not been given, a question.

1960maaan

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Other clubs have to do far less than us to get pens, even tiny teams like Preston so its not like its a big club favouritism.

Many of our non pens could have been given

Many of the pens against us might not have been given

All about bias' of referee's, also probably Ashton Gate too nice.

We are also lowest in the table of pens versus expected goals so its nothing to do with the old joke about having to get near the goal.

Are we too hated by refs or too nice? Tricky one.

I would also like to see a penalty conceded table... Must be top of that this season

We have had issues with dodgy offsides and penalties for a while. I can remember Weimann being repeatedly flagged offside when he was clearly not and goals being ruled out because of it. 

The Peno thing this season is simply crazy. However I really don’t think it’s because anybody hates anyone else. 

Nevertheless I do certainly think despite everything we are still looked at as little Bristol City compared to many clubs in the division and what are perceived bigger clubs look like they get the benefit. Also as someone said up the thread, the only one that really gets in the refs face immediately is Weimann. We need our forwards to get at the ******* the moment of the foul/handball and be less ambivalent!

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Cardiff & Swansea not been given a penalty between them all season !!!

Bizarrely Cardiff had 8 last season & Swansea 6, though the latter stat can largely be explained by Andre Ayew being there then..

The ratio of goals scored from open play to those from penalties would make an interesting table - especially as we would likely be at the top this season and near the top last season, whereas some others would be much more dependent on penalties to boost their goal tally. One for you @Davefevs?

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

We have had issues with dodgy offsides and penalties for a while. I can remember Weimann being repeatedly flagged offside when he was clearly not and goals being ruled out because of it. 

The Peno thing this season is simply crazy. However I really don’t think it’s because anybody hates anyone else. 

Nevertheless I do certainly think despite everything we are still looked at as little Bristol City compared to many clubs in the division and what are perceived bigger clubs look like they get the benefit. Also as someone said up the thread, the only one that really gets in the refs face immediately is Weimann. We need our forwards to get at the ******* the moment of the foul/handball and be less ambivalent!

3 disallowed as I recall- in fact in one example it was that and a penalty albeit against! He had legit goals I think ruled out at Derby before Christmas- although never seen that one, at Nottingham Forest in Jan 2019 he was level and the one below was a double whammy...

The same game was a very important one- a) The disallowed when he may or may not have been on at 0-0 which would have changed the entire complexion of the game, at Aston Villa in the playoff race and b) Aston Villa were awarded a shocker of a penalty against us, also at 0-0.

They won 2-1, was a crucial game in the playoff race in 2019! Yes O'Leary had a fantastic game all told but goals and decisions can change games- perhaps change seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bizarrely Cardiff had 8 last season & Swansea 6, though the latter stat can largely be explained by Andre Ayew being there then..

Teams higher up the League tend to get more tbh, teams higher up the League can be more dominant although I seem to recall Swansea got a spurt of about 4 in 5 games or something. It's certainly not a straight line graph.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Blackburn & PNE have had 28 each in the last 4 seasons to our 8 !!!!
Managers who know the dark arts?

• Like 1

Is there not an opportunity for the club to put all of the clips together and paste it all over its socials to taise awareness of the situation?

If the club complains loudly enough refs will have it in their minds next season.

Is that ethical? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Is there not an opportunity for the club to put all of the clips together and paste it all over its socials to taise awareness of the situation?

If the club complains loudly enough refs will have it in their minds next season.

Is that ethical? 

On the other hand will the other clubs think they've a fair bit of leeway in their box! Also that any "falls" in our box will earn them a penalty!

21 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Here you go, this year  - Given 1, conceded 9

981682468_Screenshot2022-04-04at16_42_16.png.673072d0fb2949e2c22cfb46725801a6.png

Last year - Given 2 , conceded 6.

1752847340_Screenshot2022-04-04at16_42_51.png.80e047043f1a7f00bb2bc860194fa78e.png

I don't think conceding Pens is a real surprise , and the only question is why we weren't top last year as well. We have spent a lot of the last 2 years on the back foot defending our area. Means a lot more opportunities for a risky challenge.

If the Semenyo one is the one I'm thinking of, I remember Murray saying it wasn't a pen. I still think it was as AS was in full flow when the defender runs onto his line and AS hits his leg. Interpretation I guess.

Clearly no pen he kicks the back of his leg.

18 minutes ago, Super said:

Clearly no pen he kicks the back of his leg.

This is what I mean about interpretation. Semenyo doesn't change the line of his run, defender crosses that run with his leg and Semenyo's running action takes him into the defender. Or , as I like to say, trips him. 

It's all down to the Ref and how he sees it at the time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is what I mean about interpretation. Semenyo doesn't change the line of his run, defender crosses that run with his leg and Semenyo's running action takes him into the defender. Or , as I like to say, trips him. 

It's all down to the Ref and how he sees it at the time. 

Absolutely. VAR would look at that a couple of times and give that as a no pen.

12 hours ago, harrys said:

Blackburn & PNE have had 28 each in the last 4 seasons to our 8 !!!!
Managers who know the dark arts?

DC and GC on the dark side were two and the legacy carries on for a while after.

Haven't both those teams got players that play for pens?

Thinking of this Saturday's opponents; in October when City won at P'boro' their manager, players and fans were adamant that towards the end a City defender clearly committed a foul but the ref turned down their cast iron penalty appeal.

https://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/sport/20043957.warburton-sick-apologies-fulham-defeat/

Sorry Mark- you've done a fine job at QPR and everything, but what goes around comes around- remember that absurd set of decisions in your favour at AG in December!

I am sure a number of managers have been aggrieved in games v QPR this season refereeing wise- NP of course but a few.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 05/04/2022 at 06:44, Mad Cyril said:

True fact....Of the 31 professional football leagues across Europe, the team with the lowest number of penalties awarded since 2018 is..... Bristol City.

Incredible, yet totally believable.

I wonder how many teams there are in those 31 leagues?