IGNORED

U23s v Watford

bcfc01

Looks to me that Tanner will have some serious competition from young Zac Bell next season. He looks like he could be ready for something a bit more than U23 football to me given a pre-season with the first team squad.

Very disappointed with Janneh, he looks like hasn't progressed at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sitrom said:

Great corner at the end then.  Went into orbit.  Thought Vine looked alright.  Good game overall.  

I was disappointed with him (albeit watching out if corner of my eye)….not as good as Palmer-Houlden on that display.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe. Watching out of corner of my eye whilst doing some Visio diagrams!!!

It was Janneh.

Wood & Idenhen were very good and we need to get them tied up on contracts.  Morton was good and Janneh flatters to deceive as so quick and strong but over plays or over thinks it.  Tanner way off being first team ready based on that bu5 was a good game.  Surprised the likes of Owers ,Bell and Benarous not starting as surely it’s better to keep them match fit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

FFS it’s the same curse as afflicts the first team! 

1 hour ago, Sitrom said:

I don't know what the average age of their side is but it does look like our kids a playing a bunch of blokes.

Forget the curse. Second from Sitrom is accurate plus the wind speed toward our goal. The result is important but even more so is the experience gained by the really young ones.

Should Morton be a bench candidate for rest of the season?

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

It was Janneh.

Wood & Idenhen were very good and we need to get them tied up on contracts.  Morton was good and Janneh flatters to deceive as so quick and strong but over plays or over thinks it.  Tanner way off being first team ready based on that bu5 was a good game.  Surprised the likes of Owers ,Bell and Benarous not starting as surely it’s better to keep them match fit. 

I very much like Wood and Idehen too, very composed players. From the bits and pieces I've seen of Janneh I think there's a genuine goalscorer in him but he tries to do too much. As one of the senior players today perhaps he felt he had too. 

I like James Morton but I don't see a future for him at City and I expect him to move on. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I very much like Wood and Idehen too, very composed players. From the bits and pieces I've seen of Janneh I think there's a genuine goalscorer in him but he tries to do too much. As one of the senior players today perhaps he felt he had too. 

I like James Morton but I don't see a future for him at City and I expect him to move on. 

I like Morton who can hit a great ball but not sure how mobile he is for Championship. I spoke to an ex Bath City player last week who said that he was the best passer of a ball he played with but lacked that little bit of nastiness that all players need.  I think he can have a great career in league football but may need to go backwards to come again.

Im not sure Janneh has the composure to be a 20 goal plus striker but seen him a few times and he is lightening quick. Frustrating today but as you say was probably our most senior player and was certainly encouraging others.  Weird as it seems and doing a Pearson here with Bell, I’ve been most impressed when he’s played wide and as a wing back as his engine is top class. I don’t suspect he will be here next season though.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What is it with Morton - for those watching him live, rather than on Robinstv?  Is it a lack of that necessary yard of pace.  He looks so elegant at times.

In fairness to him he does read the game very well but imo not mobile enough for Championship. As I said, he’s a league player for sure & someone will be getting a good player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What is it with Morton - for those watching him live, rather than on Robinstv?  Is it a lack of that necessary yard of pace.  He looks so elegant at times.

It is odd, always been decent whenever I have seen him live, not far off First team (certainly at the moment).

Playing in front off the back four would negate the need for excess speed, perfect player for a 3-5-2 which we are currently playing - IMO.

No trouble off the field either I believe.

Edited by Waconda

1 hour ago, Waconda said:

It is odd, always been decent whenever I have seen him live, not far off First team (certainly at the moment).

Playing in front off the back four would negate the need for excess speed, perfect player for a 3-5-2 which we are currently playing - IMO.

No trouble off the field either I believe.

As a general point, none of the three great midfield players of the recent past, Xavi, Iniesta and Pirlo, were particularly fast.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The lack of pace is only thing I can think of that puts Pearson off, and yet there are those on the Transfer Forum suggesting he is thinking of bringing back Marlon Pack, to play in a similar style. If true, in our current financial situation, I hope he is encouraged to reconsider the cheaper alternative.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The thing with him is he had 3 loan spells (Forest Green, Grimsby & Gillingham) & none of them have really worked out.

He started 7 games & came on as a sub in 5 more at Nailsworth, which for a first loan was ok I suppose but came back from Grimsby (in L2 then) after failing to get a regular place even on the bench.

The Gillingham loan was just bizarre, he got on once as a sub in added time & although he was fit, never played again.

He was lined up to join MK Dons permanently last summer but that fell through when Russell Martin took over at Swansea.

James is 23 before the month is out so he really can’t be seen as a promising youngster now, as he’s nearly 5 years older than Scott or Benarous.

The comment about him being no trouble is spot on but sadly professional football is a tough world & as the MK business shows we appear to think he’s not good enough for the level we are at, bluntly if we did (& I know he has had injuries this season) he would have already featured for us by now.

I do hope he gets a chance somewhere else (not over the river, though) & is given a run in the team there.

He still has another year left on his contract but if all parties can find a deal that suits, expect him to move on in the close season.

• Like 1