IGNORED

Keynsham Town - An Unreasonable Journey?

Silvio Dante

I guess this is why for quite a period back in the day when I was playing WL, there were no Cornish teams in the league.  The WL had become quite Bristol-heavy and their travel was too much and one by one, they’d started to drop out.

The recent league restructures won’t help Keynsham’s case.  I think Brislington were moaning about the make up of the opponents, and wanted to go into the Hellenic?  I might not be 100% correct in my facts, but it was something of the ilk.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess this is why for quite a period back in the day when I was playing WL, there were no Cornish teams in the league.  The WL had become quite Bristol-heavy and their travel was too much and one by one, they’d started to drop out.

The recent league restructures won’t help Keynsham’s case.  I think Brislington were moaning about the make up of the opponents, and wanted to go into the Hellenic?  I might not be 100% correct in my facts, but it was something of the ilk.

It changed during my time.

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

KTFC have called their Toolstation game tonight off, citing cost and reasonableness of journey. Clearly there have to have been discussions prior to today - but at this level of football, who’s right?

I think KTFC are right. The football league don't seem to appreciate that the players have other jobs and it's not always convenient or possible, to take time off. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think KTFC are right. The football league don't seem to appreciate that the players have other jobs and it's not always convenient or possible, to take time off. 

Barnstaple on a BH Monday (Easter) for Les Phillips Cup semi was a lovely journey, with all that holiday traffic, I can tell you.

(got gobbed on by one of their fans as I warmed up)

• Haha 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

Barnstaple on a BH Monday (Easter) for Les Phillips Cup semi was a lovely journey, with all that holiday traffic, I can tell you.

Nice! 

North Devon is a bugger to get to, as well! Bad enough getting out of Weston, back in the day.

A few years ago I was working away in Birmingham and one Monday night went to take in Redditch v Truro, I think it was a Conference South fixture at the time. There were actually about a dozen or so Truro fans who'd made the trip but I remember wondering how on earth that had been scheduled for a midweek.

Just now, Northern Red said:

A few years ago I was working away in Birmingham and one Monday night went to take in Redditch v Truro, I think it was a Conference South fixture at the time. There were actually about a dozen or so Truro fans who'd made the trip but I remember wondering how on earth that had been scheduled for a midweek.

I’m going to use one of my touchstones here of Dover Athletic. In financial trouble, had a midweek FA cup game against Yate this season.

Floodlights failed meaning 7:45 k/o couldn’t be attained. Fixed up by (I think 8:30), with k/o proposed for 9pm.

Dover refused and drove home. Returned the following week and lost.

Dover-Yate - 190 miles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

How many others had to check that Manchester was closer to us than Mousehole?

Joe’s national chess tournament was split north and south.  South Glos is in the north….northern finals were Manchester, southern finals, Reading.  Great!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Joe’s national chess tournament was split north and south.  South Glos is in the north….northern finals were Manchester, southern finals, Reading.  Great!

I can’t believe Joe is into a game where an inordinate amount of statistical knowledge to try and work out the best outcomes is desirable….

• Haha 11
  • Flames 1

Wow, that’s a co-incidence. 

Was down there over the weekend and was surprised to see Bitton playing in such a ‘remote’ location. From the Exeter area it’s a trip and a half. From Bristol, struth! 

Don’t think those who plan these leagues have a clue of how far West Cornwall is away from Exeter, let alone Bristol. 

• Like 2

I have every sympathy with Keynsham Town and their anger at the lack of assistance with their predicament. As a supporter of Mangotsfield United there's every possibility that next season they'll be relegated to the Western League. Some have said that they would prefer the Hellenic League due to the Cornish and Devon clubs in the Western League. But those I've talked to who have watched the Hellenic League have said that the standard is crap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Was down there over the weekend and was surprised to see Bitton playing in such a ‘remote’ location. From the Exeter area it’s a trip and a half. From Bristol, struth! 

Don’t think those who plan these leagues have a clue of how far West Cornwall is away from Exeter, let alone Bristol. 

Fair point, everything from about Plymouth, maybe Looe is/can be a trek and a half. When you add in traffic disruption as well, especially around the holiday periods, a 3 hour trip from Bristol, can easily end up taking about 5 hours if you hit it at the wrong time. Somewhere like Mousehold, it's not going to be a quick or easy trip. 

This is where the FA should be helping out the lower league/grass roots teams. A bit more consideration should be put into fixtures, because things like having to take half a day off to go and play a game, is either going to add up on your annual allowance, or result in loss of income, maybe even a job if it happens too often (depending on your employer I guess).

It's one thing arranging a midweek fixture between us and Middlesbrough, where all the players are professionals and are paid a decent/obscene amount of money, but at that level it's stupid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Had a pint of milk launched over me at Bideford away once. Hair stank for a week.  Hated the fixture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

I live right on the Devon/Cornwall border and it took me best part of two hours to get to a job in St Buryan (six miles west of Penzance) a couple of weeks back and that was leaving home at 5am midweek.

I was sick of the sight of bloody daffodils by the time I got home mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin

The thing I find odd is why this all came about so late? 

I expect the home side have incorporated costs for the match day before now? 

Not sure the statement at the start is the best wording, nobody can second guess the weather and it almost implies the home side were somehow at fault for the downturn in the weather 

Out of interest are these the two furthest distant teams in that league? 

Here is the leagues reply to the original statement 

20220405_144244.jpg

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

KTFC have called their Toolstation game tonight off, citing cost and reasonableness of journey. Clearly there have to have been discussions prior to today - but at this level of football, who’s right?

Its a Western League. Keynsham enter this league each season understanding where teams play. They can choose to leave and join another league (the Hellenic) as other former Western league teams have.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its a Western League. Keynsham enter this league each season understanding where teams play. They can choose to leave and join another league (the Hellenic) as other former Western league teams have.

Wasn’t there some enforced restructuring that happened in the close season?

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

The thing I find odd is why this all came about so late? 

I expect the home side have incorporated costs for the match day before now? 

Not sure the statement at the start is the best wording, nobody can second guess the weather and it almost implies the home side were somehow at fault for the downturn in the weather 

Out of interest are these the two furthest distant teams in that league? 

Here is the leagues reply to the original statement 

20220405_144244.jpg

And there in blue and white are an out of touch administration who care for no one apart from there freebies