IGNORED

Champions League Tonight

Unan

16 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Disgraceful from the Spaniards

I was hoping Fernandinho was going to drop one 

Well done City 

Unlucky Atletico Ha Ha ha

I thought that was great fun.  You have to admit, when it all kicks off its great entertainment. When did we last see a genuine ruck down at Ashton Gate? Memories of Mark Aizelwoid head-butting someone in clear view of the Dolman.  Ah, happy days.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought that was great fun.  You have to admit, when it all kicks off its great entertainment. When did we last see a genuine ruck down at Ashton Gate? Memories of Mark Aizelwoid head-butting someone in clear view of the Dolman.  Ah, happy days.

It always makes me smile when the commentator states the obligatory “no one wants to see this”. I do. Very entertaining.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

It always makes me smile when the commentator states the obligatory “no one wants to see this”. I do. Very entertaining.

Exactly, tell me of anyone that didn’t enjoy the Norman Hunter/Francis Lee or Keegan/Bremner bust ups?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, harrys said:

Exactly, tell me of anyone that didn’t enjoy the Norman Hunter/Francis Lee or Keegan/Bremner bust ups?

Mary Whitehouse, she didn't. The Archbishop of Canterbury at the time, the Right Reverend Robert Runcie, he didn't enjoy it. Cliff Richard, another one. Two of 'Pans People' said they did not enjoy it. Percy Thrower, he didn't enjoy it. The 'Blue Peter' BBC team didn't like it, and recorded a short film to tell the children of this country that this was no way to behave, and Little Billy Bremner is sorry and would not ever do it again. Every rugger bugger in the country at that time scoffed at it. And Jimmy Hill, he didn't enjoy it. Oh, and one of 'Smash & Grab,' can't remember which one, he didn't enjoy it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm not defending AM but you do need different style teams. Football would be boring if everyone played like Man City do.

The defensive style is ....’ok’ , acceptable ,if it’s successful and there’s only the odd side to set up so 

Its the sly , nasty , cowardly physicality , the surrounding of referees, demanding of cards for opposition , the theatrics that are not acceptable

We do see parts of this in the English game , but they reminded me of Spanish sides of 70’s

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Handbags tbh. If someone really wanted a fight they could have had one. All posturing. Similar to the stuff you often see from hooligans.

The trouble with male footballers is they're too emotianal.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Top of the stairs? Can't see it, if it's the same incident, teammate/coach was directly in line and he didn't flinch

Yep, I think that is the same incident.

It certainly seemed to me that he spat - in Kyle Walker's direction, hence he (KW) was being held back from reacting further.

5 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Mary Whitehouse, she didn't. The Archbishop of Canterbury at the time, the Right Reverend Robert Runcie, he didn't enjoy it. Cliff Richard, another one. Two of 'Pans People' said they did not enjoy it. Percy Thrower, he didn't enjoy it. The 'Blue Peter' BBC team didn't like it, and recorded a short film to tell the children of this country that this was no way to behave, and Little Billy Bremner is sorry and would not ever do it again. Every rugger bugger in the country at that time scoffed at it. And Jimmy Hill, he didn't enjoy it. Oh, and one of 'Smash & Grab,' can't remember which one, he didn't enjoy it. 

Yeh, but you forgot Kendo Nagasaki, apart from all these losers everyone else loved it

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unsure about that. Thought Atletico fans very noisy 2nd half.

They adore Simeone. Despite his Latino attitude he’s turned them into a very decent team. The team is in his image and his and their antics piss off every other European club that they play.

I loved Peps comment post match ‘I have nothing to say’ - that says a thousand words!

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They adore Simeone. Despite his Latino attitude he’s turned them into a very decent team. The team is in his image and his and their antics piss off every other European club that they play.

I loved Peps comment post match ‘I have nothing to say’ - that says a thousand words!

There is that, but also possibly a misreading of Spanish football on my part but I've always had Atletico fans down as a bit different- a bit more blue-collar than say Barcelona or Real Madrid fans- the Calderon was a very noisy ground.

On the last 10 mins antics yes for sure, but otoh Atletico attacked with intensity for a lot of that half. Man City were clearly better over the 2 legs but they'll know they were in a match.

On 13/04/2022 at 23:16, frenchred said:

I was gonna say the same!

The support they had inbthat stadium tonight was fantastic

Don't get the plastic statement at all

100% and you can't appreciate how loud it really is in there on TV. At times you can't hear yourself think. 

And I can promise you, if atletico ever go down again, the following season they'll have more season ticket sells, not less. (this happened last time) it would be a call to arms. 

Atletico are many things, but plastic fans, absolutely not. 

• Like 2

On 13/04/2022 at 23:45, TomF said:

Yep. I mean what Simone has achieved there is impressive. Two titles in a 2 team league, 2 CL finals, a new stadium etc. But it does feel as if they need to change the way they play. They showed at end they are pretty good going forward when they need to.  If they’d attacked like that for 180 minutes over two ties I’m sure they may well have scored.. 

Though think Man C got away with a pen near end so somehow VAR did them a favour as well

It's been the same for the last few years. They keep trying to change, but when the results fade, or pressure kicks in, they revert to type. 

They were favourites for the league this year, they were no longer the underdogs, and it got to them. They tried to dominate but kept letting in sloppy goals. 

every year for the last few years, they'll stsrt with a possession based game etc, but the moment results fade, the term identidy crisis comes in and they revert to type. 

Thing is they no longer have to the players to just sit in, as they'll always give chances. 

But how to change the very fabric of a club, they are the underdog, they are against the world,  to change won't just happen in 5 minutes, or even a season. It has to be built on slowly.  It's for this very reason simeone will probably leave soon. He absolutely wants to be the one to change it, but every loss like that leads to massive reflection, and what he wants is atletico to succeed even if not him. He'll always be way beyond a legend there. 

And when simeone goes, who do you get in? They aren't absolute top year, nor are they second tier, they are a 1.5 level club. 

Managers see themselves as too good, or they see managers as a step down. Personally I think they'll go for emery as he offers them opportunity in the one tournament they truly crave. 

Edited by The turtle