IGNORED

Ray Cashley Testimonial announced

phantom

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He left City over 40 years ago, so a testimonial now seems a bit strange. Does anyone know the reason why? 

No idea, but I'm going to suggest that 40 years ago, there were bigger things to worry about at the club than a testimonial.....

Is a long time afterwards though.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

He left City over 40 years ago, so a testimonial now seems a bit strange. Does anyone know the reason why? 

They had to conduct a thorough process to appoint the right man to organise it. They ended up with the guy who organised Geoff Merrick's assistant.

Edited by The Horse With No Name

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

The rule used to be that to be eligible for a testimonial you had to have ten years with one club. Cash was 70-81 so I reckon the fella who said about righting wrongs is probably about right! I have expunged his games for the gas from my memory! 

Are sure it was a fella that said it?? 

I wonder if anyone else is waiting in the wings for a testimonial?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Agh yes I take your point. Apologies @RedM

Yes I wonder too. David Rogers must be eligible among many others. 

Yeah the AG8 did have a testimonial but it was when we were on such a downward spiral that not many were interested, I think they got £1000 each.

Anyone know why it was between Southampton and Ipswich and didn’t involve a Bristol City Xl? I can’t remember much about it at all.

24 minutes ago, Slacker said:

No offence meant to Weston but is the club involved in this?If so could they not have got a bigger draw than Weston?Maybe incorporated it into a pre season game?

My understanding is Cash has worked for them on the fundraising side for years, so I presume that’s why they are involved.

He’s 70 now I think so maybe about to retire from this work & it is being acknowledged?

First keeper I can remember, brilliant in the promotion season.

• Like 1

Cash left Hengrove just before I started there and I was in the same class as his nephew.  I can confirm his liking for the Baccy Jar and Platform 1. He was part of the team that took us to the promised land, but soon got found out when we got there.

Does seem strange to be giving him a testimonial now when there are a number of other players who are probably equally deserving.

I’d imagine all this is from City’s perspective is a pre-season friendly for the U23s that Weston have badged as Cashleys testimonial due to his involvement with that club. No more, no less. The “City XI” tends to be used for the U23s pre season, and I’d guess we’ll be starting earlier back this summer in view of the World Cup break.

Not begrudging him the day and the money at all, but we might be overthinking it when we talk of righting wrongs, who else will get one next etc