IGNORED

Ray Cashley Testimonial announced

phantom

• Admin

Weston-super-Mare AFC are delighted to announce more details about Bristol City legend Ray Cashley’s testimonial, with tickets on sale now.

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/wsmafc/707652/

The event will see a Bristol City XI take on a Weston-super-Mare XI at the Optima Stadium, with a 3pm kick-off time.

After the match, you can attend ‘An evening with Ray & guests’ where you will receive a one-course meal and watch an exclusive Q&A with Ray and some special guests.

Oli Bliss, Managing Director at Weston-super-Mare AFC, said: “I have known Ray for as long as I can remember.

“Ray joined Weston-super-Mare with my Dad (Paul Bliss) in 1986 as a player – Everyone knows what a good player he was, playing at the top flight with Bristol City.

“When his footballing career came to an end, he was looking for a new career and my Dad offered him our lottery and later on our striker draw collections.

“Ray has worked for the club ever since and has collected over £1 million over the 36 years he has been with us.

“He is such an easy man to work with. He just carries on with his work without any fuss. He is so reliable and is so down to earth.

“There are many times that people have asked me is that Ray Cashley because they see Ray as their hero from his Bristol City days. It is great to see these people then asking Ray about his career and Ray is always so happy to talk to anyone.

“He is not quite as fit as he used to be but he still managed to show us what he could do in goal at the age of 64 when he played in my Dad’s testimonial in 2016. He was able to save a penalty and get straight back up for the rebound!

“It is an honour for the club and our family to be able to organise this testimonial for Ray along with the support of Bristol City. He fully deserves it.”

MATCHDAY ADMISSION PRICES

£10 – Adult

£5 – Under 16s

£25 – Matchday admission & ‘An evening with Ray & guests + 1 x course meal

CONFIRMED PLAYERS

Weston-super-Mare AFC XI

Matt Lazenby

Paul Elson

Bristol City XI

Tommy Docherty

Rob Edwards

Joe Burrell

Colin Cram

Louis Carey

Clayton Fortune

Damien Spencer

Steve Phillips

Jamie McAllister

Gary Owers

With more players to be announced.. 

• Like 3

On 07/04/2022 at 21:32, RedLionLad said:

I can remember him collecting lottery money around Whitchurch and Hengrove many years ago.

Yes for Weston-super-Mare at the same time Mike Gibson was my postman, so had both the first two goalkeepers I saw playing for City knocking at my door.

I remember it was just as the law was introduced where keepers could no longer pick up a pass back and as Cashley started his career with City as a full back I said that he would be in his element if he was playing now. He totally agreed and said that he would've loved it.

• Admin
41 minutes ago, robofwells said:

never to be forgiven for kissing the gas badge in front of the East End.

Remember speaking to him after his testimonial at Clevedon, stood there saying he hated Rovers and would never end up playing for them

He signed days later lol

On 07/04/2022 at 22:16, gavlin said:

Remember his debut at the Dell , Southampton in a cup replay , City lost 3-0, don't think he was at fault for any of the goals. 

Ray saved a penalty that night, his debut. Coincidentally, Mike Gibson, Ray's predecessor saved one on his debut also.

30 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Think the lowest gate ive ever been at sadly was another goalies testimonial from that era, John Shaw vs west brom, around 1800, he saved a pen that night

I was at that match, very sad that testimonial matches disappeared as interest waned, despite players not earning big money back then. Nowadays people quite rightly wouldn't attend, as players earn many times what the average person earns.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 22:16, gavlin said:

Remember his debut at the Dell , Southampton in a cup replay , City lost 3-0, don't think he was at fault for any of the goals. Night match got picked up from school to go to the match , must have the programme somewhere!!

Pretty sure it wasn't a replay it was a rearranged game after the first one postponed .

4 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

I could be wrong ,it as a long time ago ,but from my spot in the east end I thought he ran forward and kicked a ball coming towards him,is there any old film of it as I was 100% there and that is my memory.

I was on the East End too that night. I remember it began as what you might call a normal drop kick punt up the field from the edge of his box. 

It was caught by the gusty wind and surprised Hull keeper Jeff Wealands, who left his line to collect but misjudged the bounce and got stranded as the ball sailed over him and nestled in the net. 

His startled stance in the aftermath linger in my memory as much as the City players  rushing back to mob stunned Cashley. 

I don't think it was recorded anywhere. This was before Jonathan Pearce's dad started filming matches for Alan Dicks to do analysis, as far as I know. 

I do recall Roger Malone trying to get Cashley recreate the moment the next day for HTV in broad daylight. Of course, the wind had dropped and Cash's attempts for the camera  got nowhere near. 

On 07/04/2022 at 14:20, East End Old Boy said:

Also, didn’t he get an injury due to not wearing shin pads and Alan Dicks fined him?

Yeah I remember that. It was in a home against Millwall when City were 2-0 up and cruising.......but then Brian Drysdale made a suicidal backpass.

Cashley saved a certain goal but was injured in a crunching collision with a Millwall player. He was taken off injured and John Galley went in goal. We quickly conceded 2 goals and ended up drawing 2-2 in a game we should have won comfortably.