IGNORED

Jimmy Savile Netflix

East Londoner

Not easy viewing by any means but Netflix have dropped a compelling jimmy savile documentary showing how he was able to hide in plain sight 

Obviously it’s different watching it with the benefit of hindsight but it seems amazing how creepy the man was whilst on tv and being interviewed and seeming to imply things about his behaviour and yet people amusing he was joking and laughed. 

I’ve seen comments on twitter from those watching from overseas asking how people didn’t realise and that’s the fascinating part as it’s almost as if he groomed the nation including those at the top of the British establishment

Definitely worth a watch 

On 07/04/2022 at 09:21, East Londoner said:

Not easy viewing by any means but Netflix have dropped a compelling jimmy savile documentary showing how he was able to hide in plain sight 

Obviously it’s different watching it with the benefit of hindsight but it seems amazing how creepy the man was whilst on tv and being interviewed and seeming to imply things about his behaviour and yet people amusing he was joking and laughed. 

I’ve seen comments on twitter from those watching from overseas asking how people didn’t realise and that’s the fascinating part as it’s almost as if he groomed the nation including those at the top of the British establishment

Definitely worth a watch 

Amazing how he was lauded by many.  

Having had my own opinions about him back in the 80s (that he was a N***e) watched both parts and with the benefit of hindsight it was pretty clear by some of the comments he made during interviews that he was a wrong un! ….simply laughed off at the time ….many a true word spoken in jest eh? 

Edited by Slippin cider

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think it’s easy to look back at many of those convicted with hindsight and see they clearly were wrong uns. 

Stuart Hall was always the one that really disappointed me. I wouldn’t have picked him out. 

Hall , Harris,  Savile, Glitter the list goes on ….all given free rein back then and all very ‘influential’ to many . Fame hides a multitude of sins .

Edited by Slippin cider
  • Like 1

Currently watching this, really difficult to watch, was to young to really remember the height of fame Saville had, and only when he died did I hear rumours that people knew what was going on but watching that and the actual truth that he was questioned about it by police and it was quiet and open thing turns my stomach. 

I found it an interesting and shocking watch 

I’m of an age where I probably should have known more about Saville but probably just young enough that I missed his fame and to me he was just a creepy old bloke.

I must admit I hadn’t realised he’d done so much “good” (although clearly in hindsight it was with bad intentions)

I find it truly astounding though how people didn’t see through him. Far too close to people of influence and the royal family. Doesn’t sit right at all.

I’d imagine a lot of people knew and covered for him / turned a blind eye / too scared to speak out against someone so famous.

I guess in modern times it would be like someone trying to call David Attenborough for example, a wrong’un - a national treasure that everyone loves.

Jim’ll Netflix it! 
Echo the thoughts of many on here who found him creepy and bizarre.

I think what got him credit was his work for ‘ charidy ‘ . 
I remember reading a picture story in my cousin’s copy of Jackie where Glitter had a romance with a fifteen year old girl. It showed him meeting her parents to have the right to see each other. At the time I just thought it was some teenage girl’s fantasy. :shocking:

Have watched several documentaries about Savile, and I was far too young at the time to understand what some of the things he did were very creepy but amazed how so many people who would have known better just turned a blind eye.

I thought he was a dream maker when I was a little boy and I even wrote into jim l fix it a couple of times.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Jim’ll Netflix it! 
Echo the thoughts of many on here who found him creepy and bizarre.

I think what got him credit was his work for ‘ charidy ‘ . 
I remember reading a picture story in my cousin’s copy of Jackie where Glitter had a romance with a fifteen year old girl. It showed him meeting her parents to have the right to see each other. At the time I just thought it was some teenage girl’s fantasy. :shocking:

Oh, come on Major.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with reading girls’ comics, so there was no need to claim it belonged to your cousin ?.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2022 at 12:14, Slippin cider said:

Hall , Harris,  Savile, Glitter the list goes on ….all given free rein back then and all very ‘influential’ to many . Fame hides a multitude of sins .

And continues to do so.  There are well documented accounts of rock bands with under age groupies, but no one ever pursue those cases.  One member of a band strongly alleged to have had romps with underage groupies has even been on Desert Island Discs recently…

Of course it does reflect the age we lived in and it must be shocking for younger people to understand just what was tolerated in the 60s and 70s.  Even the alternative ‘Not The Nine O Clock News’ did a sketch (featuring Rowan Atkinson and Pam Stephenson) in about 1980 which made a joke about underage sex.

So while it is not really a surprise that celebrities were exploiting their status in the 60s and 70s, and got away with it at the time, Saville appears to be unique in  that his behaviour was well known right up until the 21st century.  It really does open up some very awkward questions as to who knew what.  Were the Royals really that naive?  

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

And continues to do so.  There are well documented accounts of rock bands with under age groupies, but no one ever pursue those cases.  One member of a band strongly alleged to have had romps with underage groupies has even been on Desert Island Discs recently…

Of course it does reflect the age we lived in and it must be shocking for younger people to understand just what was tolerated in the 60s and 70s.  Even the alternative ‘Not The Nine O Clock News’ did a sketch (featuring Rowan Atkinson and Pam Stephenson) in about 1980 which made a joke about underage sex.

They also did a sketch about catching children for the Rolf on Saturday show.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

This video is always being posted and I always point out that Lydon was never "banned" from the BBC, but appeared on it on dozens of subsequent occasions.

He does say for a number of years, which probably matched the number of years of frankly average output he produced which, even without that statement probably wouldn't have been aired anyway.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

He does say for a number of years, which probably matched the number of years of frankly average output he produced which, even without that statement probably wouldn't have been aired anyway.

The clip's from 1978 and he was on TOTP three times with PIL in 1979 and once as a [hilarious] guest on Juke Box Jury so if "banned" it was a rather short exile. 

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Average?

Metal Box?

Average?

Careering average?

No 1-4-5 progressions there.

Nothing sounded like that before. 

Poor Annie Nightingale never recovered from what Keith Levene did to that syth on the Whistle test.

The most powerful performance she ever seen she reckoned.

Wakes up in a cold sweat due to the torterous clanking. 

So do Prophet the synth makers.

Saville was no joke .. The BBC interview ...  The moral authority doctored it.