IGNORED

Warnock Retires

Super

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Said on radio this morning that he used to try and wind our fans up as he loved the banter and stick he got

Football will be a worse place without him IMHO

Absolutely - would've been really interested to see how he'd have got on managing us. He has a lot of respect for the club and fans. I know he joked about it, but he'd probably have huge demand if he did do some speaking engagements in Bristol. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Absolutely - would've been really interested to see how he'd have got on managing us. He has a lot of respect for the club and fans. I know he joked about it, but he'd probably have huge demand if he did do some speaking engagements in Bristol. 

I think if he had been our manager anytime in the last 10 years or so and had the backing that LJ had we would have had a season in the PL.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

I think if he had been our manager anytime in the last 10 years or so and had the backing that LJ had we would have had a season in the PL.

Agreed. He is the pantomime ‘villain ‘ but in reality, not only has he had a very good career I have it on good authority he is a decent bloke. That is from my friends back in my home town in Scotland where he has spent a lot of time in the past.

I have have spent many times watching his teams at AG and their’ professionalism ‘ I do wonder what would have happened with him here.

I cannot remember the season, but Neil was at Cardiff  and LJ  was our HC, and in the pre - match presser his comment stuck with me ‘ Lee talks a good game ‘ ......oh how true.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 5

Would of been brilliant here. When the gate is hostile we are unstoppable. 

think the atmosphere when we played Swindon at home under cottrell and they were sent packing, imagine that most weeks. He would of got the place going but lansdown wants his nice characters and that doesn’t make for success in this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant football manager. Some dark arts, but renowned for teams of winners, leaders and fighters. Some culture shift from Ashton’s failed teams of ‘good humans’.

Regrettably, not a manager of a sort that our Owners, or indeed, majority of supporters would have accepted. 

An opportunity lost imo, as I’m sure he would have relished the opportunity to bring this comatose Club to life again. Pretty sure he would have succeeded too. 

Hope he has a long and happy retirement, though wouldn’t be surprised for someone to entice him back. 

Edited by RedRock
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Brilliant football manager. Some dark arts, but renowned for teams of winners, leaders and fighters. Some culture shift from Ashton’s failed teams of ‘good humans’.

Regrettably, not a manager of a sort that our Owners, or indeed, majority of supporters would have accepted. 

An opportunity lost imo, as I’m sure he would have relished the opportunity to bring this comatose Club to life again. Pretty sure he would have succeeded too. 

Hope he has a long and happy retirement, though wouldn’t be surprised for someone to entice him back. 

Wish him all the best. It was an opportunity lost.

On 09/04/2022 at 13:06, GrahamC said:

He’s said this before (a lot), my take on this is that after doing badly at Boro the offers have finally dried up.

“Doing badly at Boro...” - when Warnock left Boro they were THREE points from the play offs - with 31 games left to play ... you call that “doing badly” ... ???? - most successful manager ever in our game (promotions) - he knows how to get out of the championship - every manager we’ve had since Steve Coppell doesn’t know how to get promoted from the championship, except our current gaffer - Neil Warnock, a national treasure, a top bloke, an extremely successful football manager, an icon who continually conned gullible, naive and hysterical fans with his media persona ... I’d have him at our club as a Consultant/director of football instantly - Warnock and Pearson - the partnership to strike fear into championship football clubs ... ????????✌️?

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Doing badly at Boro...” - when Warnock left Boro they were THREE points from the play offs - with 31 games left to play ... you call that “doing badly” ... ???? - most successful manager ever in our game (promotions) - he knows how to get out of the championship - every manager we’ve had since Steve Coppell doesn’t know how to get promoted from the championship, except our current gaffer - Neil Warnock, a national treasure, a top bloke, an extremely successful football manager, an icon who continually conned gullible, naive and hysterical fans with his media persona ... I’d have him at our club as a Consultant/director of football instantly - Warnock and Pearson - the partnership to strike fear into championship football clubs ... ????????✌️?

You are so right. If we really want promotion that would be the dream team.

• Flames 1

It's all about opinions and I'm glad he's retiring.

Having seen various sides managed by Colin and his brand of anti football over the years I am glad to see the back of him. I won't miss the "he hasn't trained all week" or  the equally impressive "we'll need a strong referee for this one" or who can forget the classic " I played against his Dad's sides" and plenty more of his little quips and put me downs all designed to undermine the opposition.

I Don't believe for one minute that the old dinosaur will retire as he'll be still appearing every Christmas in a panto somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Swede said:

It's all about opinions and I'm glad he's retiring.

Having seen various sides managed by Colin and his brand of anti football over the years I am glad to see the back of him. I won't miss the "he hasn't trained all week" or  the equally impressive "we'll need a strong referee for this one" or who can forget the classic " I played against his Dad's sides" and plenty more of his little quips and put me downs all designed to undermine the opposition.

I Don't believe for one minute that the old dinosaur will retire as he'll be still appearing every Christmas in a panto somewhere.

Pretty much sounds like every manager. His football wasn't great but he achieved more than most managers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I cannot remember the season, but Neil was at Cardiff  and LJ  was our HC, and in the pre - match presser his comment stuck with me ‘ Lee talks a good game ‘ ......oh how true.

He had him sussed didn't he, he was absolutely spot on about LJ.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

English football legend in my eyes. Any City fan who cannot see what he's done at numerous clubs is just bitter about the guy. 

I'd have loved him at this club. We're too nice

He’d have got us promotion or at the very least a shot in the play-offs had he been given the job instead of LJ and with the resources he had.

You right though we are too nice as a club, winning at all cost’s isn’t in the BCFC blueprint - winning with nice humans and with people who don’t upset the applecart is!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

He’d have got us promotion or at the very least a shot in the play-offs had he been given the job instead of LJ and with the resources he had.

You right though we are too nice as a club, winning at all cost’s isn’t in the BCFC blueprint - winning with nice humans and with people who don’t upset the applecart is!

The happy go lucky good lads, the losers basically

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bris red said:

The stats don’t lie, umpteen promotions from this level - he was an expert at it. His sides may have not played a great brand of football but it’s results and promotions that go down in history.

Exactly this. Trophies are the true barometer of football success. I would lap up the most turgid season of football ever played if it got us promoted (or better, the title). 

Just now, BCFCGav said:

Exactly this. Trophies are the true barometer of football success. I would lap up the most turgid season of football ever played if it got us promoted (or better, the title). 

Chelsea from 2004 - 2007 were one of the most boring sides you'd watch but they won 2 Premier Leagues, an FA Cup and 2 League cups. That's all people remember that era of Chelsea by, winning.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've always liked him. His book is worth a read, shows that he's a good man.

Lots of his persona is to deflect attention from his players, and he's very good at it. 

I’ve never believed that stuff for a minute. I think he was just a man of extremes - very pleasant when things were going his way and explosively unpleasant when they weren’t. Personally I don’t like people who can’t control their unpleasant instincts.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1