IGNORED

Where do we go from here

Topper 123

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Nowt to do with the owner?

He’s the one who let that **** Mark Ashton create havoc with our club

This is solely down to the owner of this club 

........not only let Swiss wreak havoc but then told us fans what a great bloke he was and didn't know what we were talking about. Swiss, on the other hand, like all blaggers, knew exactly what was around the corner and couldn't wait to get out.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Tafkarmlf said:

Then simply we fail

We've been at the highest level we have ever been consistently or near enough in our entire history. 

It's not praise for covering losses its for us able to be here. 

There's loads of legit criticism but blaming him for managers messing up is not a yardstick id choose. 

I get why people do it, but I'd disagree massively. 

I just don’t get that. Do you mean praise for not allowing us to go bust? That’s obviously great, that’s all surely the actual bare minimum of owning any business, let alone a football club?

Being at the highest level in recent history isn’t really an argument when Lansdowns been at the club for such a long time, you’re then comparing to completely different eras of football to look at previous ownership. We’ve ultimately failed to do anything with it, and not really come close apart from one play off final (and no appearances in the playoffs since). We’ve definitely not got some right to be up there, but we’ve struggled to even be consistently competitive. For the money we’ve spent, which comes from the ownership, that doesn’t really seem to be good enough.

Of course he’s not responsible for the decisions made by managers, and there have been some monumental mistakes made in the dugout over the years. Ultimately, the blame lies with the ownership as they’ve consistently hired the players and set up the club to try and achieve success. I think it’s just more of a bigger picture view when you look back at the whole of Lansdown’s time with the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colemanballs said:

I was really excited by Pearson's appointment, but have increasingly become concerned by his apparent (lack of)  tactical nous. For the time being, I'm still in the 'keep him' camp because I can see that even though, in my view, he  has been underperforming with regard to results, he has been doing some positive stuff (promoting youth, clearing deadwood, etc.) under difficult circumstances that will benefit us in the long run. However, although I'm not yet ready to join the bedwetters calling for him to be sacked, I am becoming increasingly sceptical.

Not all of us Pearson out people are bedwetters, same as all those who want him to remain aren't that's a pretty childish statement, apologies of course if indeed you are a kid

I see zero progress in terms of team organisation, structure, performances or results, this is solely down to Pearson

If the fuhrer can find someone else to invest I wish he would step aside, although as derby are finding, selling a club without a ground is  a difficult if not impossible task

Pearson is being given a very easy ride, he would be gone otherwise, the only way we get out of this league with him is through the trap door

Anyone for a season ticket?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tin said:

The Lansdowns are entirely responsible for the situation we’re in — for sacking Cotts, for letting that crook Ashton have anything to do with the club, for appointing LJ, for taking six weeks to appoint Holden. 20+ years and what’s changed on the field? Very little. They refuse to structure the club properly, with a sporting director or DoF, no scouting network, no long-term plan at all, limping from one crisis to another. They are the problem and nothing will change — for better or worse — until they are gone. 

It’s this.

I used to like us having local owners but have come to the conclusion this year that aside from the stadium they have actually delivered bugger all & are far happier to have mates or people who would never get their current job anywhere else in post.

This explains why they fell out very quickly with Cotterill & don’t seem a natural fit with the equally spiky Pearson.

LJ, Tinnion & that bloke who is allegedly head of recruitment, absolutely no problem at all though..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tin said:

The Lansdowns are entirely responsible for the situation we’re in — for sacking Cotts, for letting that crook Ashton have anything to do with the club, for appointing LJ, for taking six weeks to appoint Holden. 20+ years and what’s changed on the field? Very little. They refuse to structure the club properly, with a sporting director or DoF, no scouting network, no long-term plan at all, limping from one crisis to another. They are the problem and nothing will change — for better or worse — until they are gone. 

The Happy Clappers will disagree but you are so right. Mistake after mistake. The facts speak for themselves as you rightly state.. People on here say we might get bought by a dodgy Arab (blah, blah, blah) but this club needs new owners with the correct pedigree quickly because Bristol City are heading for relegation next season.

Would not be surprised if Lansdown sells soon TBH.

Think most fans have woken up to the Lansdownes mistakes in recent seasons. Changing the manager will make no difference as the “problems at the top”will still be in charge.
Real shame, because if we kept some of our best players we would be in the top 6 - fact. No guarantee of promotion I know but we would be challenging.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, tin said:

Nailed it. Post of the day for me! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For me, I’ve said NP should have gone since January. 
Nothing has changed since his appointment, the football is poor. No real ideas, no pace in our play. 
The players are to blame too, but I cannot get on board with the “this squad is awful” etc

Bentley, Kalas, Atkinson, Dasilva, Massengo, Williams, James, Scott, Weimann, Semenyo, Wells are all arguably good enough to play in decent championship sides. Yes we have some garbage too, but when you have a striker scoring 20+ goals it shows there is a half decent side in there somewhere. 

I have zero idea who could come in and improve us but imo honest opinion NP has had a lot of time for a bloke who’s not even had a new manager bounce. 

I would be happy to just watch a team play with a bit of passion and organisation right now. 

• Like 3

Re this notion that Peterboro showed more desire or ‘wanted it more’. They are fighting for their lives, you would expect them to fight hard. 

There are many things wrong with our performances, personally I think fear and low confidence are the main reasons. Not sure if we employ a sports psychologist any more but perhaps we should. 

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Should Pearson request that the ref stops the game so that he can deliver a 20 minute training session before continuing with the match?

Choosing to criticise the manager for "just standing on the touchline" during the game is just strange. There are many problems at our club right now - how animated our manager is during the match isn't in the top 100.

Ironically, when Pearson sat in the stand to actively try to get an alternative view of the match, he was heavily criticised for that too.

While I’m no expert, I believe most team’s practice games with and against 10 men. It shouldn’t be too hard to change tactics mid match - most teams do this - why are you giving Pearson a pass on the basic requirements (to change tactics to counter the opposition)?

14 minutes ago, AirlieBeachRed said:

I think he had some better players to work with ?

He, Alf Ramsey, definitely had better players than the current City Squad, but if he couldn’t get excited about England winning the World Cup why should NP get excited about playing against Peterborough? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Playing against 10 men doesn’t entitle you to a win. From where I was sat they looked like they were trying. 

Do you think we changed our shape to exploit the opportunity, or did we keep on doing the same thing, with the same formation, hoping we might get another header on target?

2 hours ago, tin said:

:clap:

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

I’m genuinely open to anyone taking over. Again, it’s all well and good covering losses if the club does naff all. All that money spent keeping us afloat and what’s he got to show for it? Trophies from a division that he helped us fall into in the first place, and a carabao cup win over Man United. It’s not my money, but that seems like a pretty bad return on investment.

My argument is, Lansdown has bankrolled two decades of average at best football and has absolutely nothing to show for it. Either bring someone in who knows how to run a football club, or sell it to someone who does. Simply praising him for covering our losses, when he’s the person in charge of our finances in the first place, is kind of like congratulating someone for changing their pants after they’ve shat themselves. They’ve cleaned up the mess, but they also made it in the first place

Unfortunately Keg

Steve is still stuck with his Y-Fronts tangled around his ankles , where Swiss Tony and Steve’s Godson left them , when they pulled them down

Steve asked Jon to sort it out , but it got a bit complicated and Jon gave up and has gone back to his crayoning

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I can't agree with your post as it is about someone to blame despite us having success as a club over traditional standings 

What do you want, as your post appears to be anyone but Lansdown. 

Chester, Darlington, QPR and a myriad of others tried that and did not work out well. 

I did red card to russe and also was one of the first in East end on being reopened. 

So know my onions and can't help seeing this as myopic knee jerk. 

I get others will feel different, and respect that. 

Knee jerking to the chair because managers mess up isn't floating my boat tbh

the managers and players dont bring themselves here, they are selected by the real boss SL and son, therefore the fault is not the sh1te on the wheels. His club his managers his fault.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It’s never easy playing against 10 men for sure. Many times I’ve seen it happen at all levels but what was frustrating was City's lack of fluidity particularly the first 45. Scott was in the pocket of their full back Burrows all game. I don’t remember him getting past Burrows at all. Dasilva had the worst game that I can remember, kept  losing the ball and consequently rarely found a team mate.

The second 45 was marginally better but yet again piss poor defending cost us two points.

The booing at final whistle was expected and even when the players went to singing section to applaud them it never stopped.

Nige was spot on post match when he said we can’t wait until the end of the season.

But the Tannoy sounded a bit better I thought.

39 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Re this notion that Peterboro showed more desire or ‘wanted it more’. They are fighting for their lives, you would expect them to fight hard. 

There are many things wrong with our performances, personally I think fear and low confidence are the main reasons. Not sure if we employ a sports psychologist any more but perhaps we should. 

Constantly being belittled and slagged off by the Manager is not conducive to high confidence or morale to be fair.

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

So who would? 

Who'd cover the losses and invest 

Still wouldn't solve on pitch issues either. 

I'm not getting your argument tbh 

Lansdown needs to sell 50% of the club, we need more voices on the board,

Having a echo chamber that we currently have is the problem, we need fresh ideas at board level

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Respectfully gl2 will have to disagree, including stuff that wouldn't have happened if they'd not been in charge for you. 

I get the anger and i understand the frustration, but a catch all for blame because on pitch we're crap isnt washing here. 

Yes there are issues higher up but they dont excuse or negate failures lower down either. 

On the pitch we are rubbish because our owners selection of managers for many years has been poor.

The players need managers who are selected by SL so.... we are where we are because......the players selected by the managers that are selected by Sl are not good enough.:dunno:imo of course and I`ll leave it there.

If they were good enough we would be in the prem by now.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

He, Alf Ramsey, definitely had better players than the current City Squad, but if he couldn’t get excited about England winning the World Cup why should NP get excited about playing against Peterborough? 

Sir Alf saw himself as a cut above all that hullabaloo and a cut above the players and 'umble, track suited coaching staff. Alf was (trying to be) a Gentleman, he was in to climbing the social ladder. To have cavorting about would've undone that.

He never 'ad all them "helocution" lessons to go and blow it by jumping about like the serfs/players with the country watching just because we won a cup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Lansdown needs to sell 50% of the club, we need more voices on the board,

Having a echo chamber that we currently have is the problem, we need fresh ideas at board level

Ain't happening any time soon.

Prospective buyers are 'reconsidering' their interest in UK football, I'm led to believe. World financial / political turmoil isn't helping. The UK cost of living leaves very little for discretionary spending - IE - going to the Football and associated spending.

We may be stuck with them for one or two more years more than planned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

I was really excited by Pearson's appointment, but have increasingly become concerned by his apparent (lack of)  tactical nous. For the time being, I'm still in the 'keep him' camp because I can see that even though, in my view, he  has been underperforming with regard to results, he has been doing some positive stuff (promoting youth, clearing deadwood, etc.) under difficult circumstances that will benefit us in the long run. However, although I'm not yet ready to join the bedwetters calling for him to be sacked, I am becoming increasingly sceptical.

Same here, still with NP atm but this squad should be capable of better than 18/19th. How many of Luton's squad for example would improve our squad on paper? Lord only knows how much more we're paying the squad than they are but it must be obscene.

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Same here, still with NP atm but this squad should be capable of better than 18/19th. How many of Luton's squad for example would improve our squad on paper? Lord only knows how much more we're paying the squad than they are but it must be obscene.

And how much of those wages are down to Pearson? 
A few of these players have gone through 3 managers and you now have a manager openly telling you where the problem lies……yet you still think it’s the managers fault. 
Get rid if you want but things won’t change until we move on about 8 players so we will be having the same discussion in 12 months 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Rob k said:

And how much of those wages are down to Pearson? 
A few of these players have gone through 3 managers and you now have a manager openly telling you where the problem lies……yet you still think it’s the managers fault. 
Get rid if you want but things won’t change until we move on about 8 players so we will be having the same discussion in 12 months 

Can you not see who brought those "3 managers" here in the first place? then consider if its the same person as the one who brought in NP.

Also consider that his latest manager choice, has already in fact brought in his player choices from outside in the last 12months and those players have made the areas that they play in weaker. While also losing twice as many games as he wins.

Yet you seem to believe, somehow NP will be our saviour and somehow propell us towards the top of this div, based on a short spell at Liecs and not the sackings that followed at other clubs.

I find it unbelievable that NP has already had more time at this club in this div than the manager who actually got us here in the first place uniting fans/players and the club while doing so. :dunno:

Edited by gl2

Just now, gl2 said:

Can you not see who brought those "3 managers" here in the first place? then consider if its the same person as the one who brought in NP.

Also consider that his latest manager choice, has already in fact brought in his player choices from outside in the last 12months and those players have made the areas that they play in weaker. While also losing twice as many games as he wins.

Yet you seem to believe, somehow NP will be our saviour and somehow propell us towards the top of this div, based on a short spell at Liecs and not the sackings that followed at other clubs.

I find it unbelievable that NP has already had more time at this club in this div than the manager who actually got us here in the first place while uniting fans/players and the club while doing so. :dunno:

Read my other posts and you will see where i think the blame lays and it’s with SL

Why are you trying to put me in a camp where i think NP is a ‘saviour’? 

Perhaps i think that whoever is in charge with this group of players would be having exactly the same issues, some of these players have gone through 3 managers, so yes, i do see them as the problem.

we have the most important summer coming up for probably 10 years or so as if we don’t move a load on we’re down next season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Read my other posts and you will see where i think the blame lays and it’s with SL

Why are you trying to put me in a camp where i think NP is a ‘saviour’? 

Perhaps i think that whoever is in charge with this group of players would be having exactly the same issues, some of these players have gone through 3 managers, so yes, i do see them as the problem.

we have the most important summer coming up for probably 10 years or so as if we don’t move a load on we’re down next season. 

Sorry for any upset caused as I didnt read your other posts

15 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Hi guys (presume you're both guys, apologies if not) 

@Monkeh understand your point, what does it achieve for us. Just checks and balances?

@gl2 disagree. We've been crap because we've fallen in to the same trap we always have, even pre Lansdown in so much we hit this level, we panic, spend recklessly and wonder why it fails.

Managers  are always hit and miss and weve had some success amongst the mediocrity as this is basically or most consistent time at this level, ever. I've not checked recently, however we are definitely in the range of beating it. 

I've heard quite a few calls for Michael Duff should NP go and wouldn't be upset with that as follows your Cotterill style progession. 

Also sticks to my knows this neck of the woods captures the mood and does decent on a zero budget playing good football thing. 

Hopefully that makes sense. 

SL "He is the man to take us forward" Dawe "Prem manager" then giving SC 256days before sacking him, while def NOT backing him with any investment money to build on his record breaking L1 win with 99pts.

Since then SL`s choices of managers and their choices of players have got us to where we are today. His latest choice is close to getting us the least amount of points in this div and seems unable to organise jack sh1te