IGNORED

Could it be LJ "unfinished business"

Waconda

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I really, really wouldn’t bet against it personally 

Worryingly nor would I. That would sum SL up for me. After the Johnson's have left the past twice, it has taken us time to recover and rebuild. Yes ok they were some of our best times in terms of finishing position but at the end of the day at what cost. 

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Another post that reverts to 'vendetta' and conspiracy theory nonsense because some posts and posters dont share your views

Your solution is to invade privacy because your post wants others to have the exact same view or else it's wrong. 

Amazing how rather than having a discussion posts like this adopt the same blinkered mantra that they accuse others of. 

Believe it or not, there's lots and lots of others here and elsewhere who are currently unhappy with NP. 

I spose you'll want their names and addresses or whatever too?

The entitlement of this place and our fans in general is somewhat baffling at times. 

Especially when others try and control what others think because they dont agree with it. 

It's possible to support the same club and have completely different views without being antagonistic or wanting draconian control methods either. 

I said yesterday that this whole NP situation is now weird, looks like some posts are also trying to join in that. 

For the record. zilch name changes, so kinda renders your  other discussion moot there too. 

@Silvio Dante exactly, but now I'll call it out. 

Invasion of privacy? ??

No no, just don't see why people push an agenda for X amount of time, then change their name, pushing same agenda, as make it out like 'wow, there's now loads calling for X person's head', trying to drum up whatever narrative they're trying to push. 

And you're a liar regarding name change/new account and have been called out on it previously, so let's not go down that road, or is it pure coincidence your letters stand for 'The artist formerly known as Ralph milnes left foot'? 

If you've got an opinion, great! Stick by your guns (and username) and own it, and when challenged, that's when a debate can be had. But if you get called out on it because you've had a vendetta against our current manager, because of us signing a player, which has triggered past experiences, then that needs to be owned aswell (and for the record, I wasn't happy with the signing either but I didn't want the manager to be ousted because of it). Since that signing, he can do no right, even when we win in some people's eyes.. 

Edited by Akira
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He didn’t. The one I know for certain is that prior to signing Nagy, we were about to resign Skuse. LJ was “given” Nagy and told he couldn’t have Skuse.

If that happened on that deal, you can bet it happened on others

Well why did he say he had final l sign-off? 
he could have said “I work with what I’m given and I’m happy to work that way”. 
Saying what he said was either true or shows him as a weak “yes” man or was just a downright stupid thing to say/a lie. 
Whatever it is, is a good reason never to hire him again. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Haven't said we should go back to him, but with someone like Ashton above him deny or refuse him too often and you'd be the one out of the job. Also know LJ wasn't allowed to recall players from loan that he wanted around the match day squad and told to leave them out on loan.

In fairness, Lee went along with the whole system/process for a long time…. Towards the end he started having a veiled pop at the way things were done… fast forward to NP… more veiled pops…

Do the Lansdowns strike fear into people to an extent that veiled comments/suggests are the best they can do?? I know it’s not popular on here but I don’t really blame Ashton, not a very likeable guy but for me he was only doing the job he was asked to by the owners… he was never sacked, they must have rated him. For me MA = SL. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Well why did he say he had final l sign-off? 
he could have said “I work with what I’m given and I’m happy to work that way”. 
Saying what he said was either true or shows him as a weak “yes” man or was just a downright stupid thing to say/a lie. 
Whatever it is, is a good reason never to hire him again. 

Pearson also said something along the lines, that Ashton was good to work with and had done a good job. Fast forward a season and he might say something different now. They say what they have to say at that point. LJ has also said he could write a book on what went on behind the scenes, there’s a reason he didn’t say it at the time, he liked his job! COYR 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Pearson also said something along the lines, that Ashton was good to work with and had done a good job. Fast forward a season and he might say something different now. They say what they have to say at that point. LJ has also said he could write a book on what went on behind the scenes, there’s a reason he didn’t say it at the time, he liked his job! COYR 

No wonder Warnock was never considered… can you imagine the home truths! 

I think, as a business, we’re now worryingly a combination of a family business and invited members-only club.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

No wonder Warnock was never considered… can you imagine the home truths! 

I think, as a business, we’re now worryingly a combination of a family business and invited members-only club.  

I remember. back in the day, coining a phrase about exactly this culture, when GL was manager, his brother was chief scout and his son was a player. I said that the time that the mentality was that of a corner shop proprietor. Now we have something that resembles a slightly larger enterprise - perhaps a small department store, say - a mostly absent proprietor and his son at the helm. Nothing much has changed, fundamentally, has it?

Edited by CliftonCliff
Afterthought
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

17 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Watched some highlights of us in 2018/19 the other day

Night and day better than any of the shit served up since he left

It’s wonderful what a bucketload of money gets you.

Magically the amount of turds he threw, a couple of them stuck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

In fairness, Lee went along with the whole system/process for a long time…. Towards the end he started having a veiled pop at the way things were done… fast forward to NP… more veiled pops…

Do the Lansdowns strike fear into people to an extent that veiled comments/suggests are the best they can do?? I know it’s not popular on here but I don’t really blame Ashton, not a very likeable guy but for me he was only doing the job he was asked to by the owners… he was never sacked, they must have rated him. For me MA = SL. 

I do, one of the key aspects of his job would have been maintaining the financial stability of the club, fans moaned when the Lansdown's did too much themselves as they're not football people so Steve employed someone to do it on his behalf to take the backseat. The remit Ashton would have been given would have been along the lines of 'make us a play off club capable of promotion'. Ashton then influences how we go about that such as his choice of ballooning the cost base of the club with wages after a significant sale or two and in so Ashton is the one responsible and the one who has hamstrung us as a club atm. Johnson would have just been told yes we can afford this player or not we can't afford that player, he's taking direction from the person who controls the finances of the club. Its not shock Ashton left the club just as the shit was hitting the fan in terms of finances, its only convenient for him that its Ipswich with owners he knows as a justifiable cover for leaving.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I remember. back in the day, coining a phrase about exactly this culture, when GL was manager, his brother was chief scout and his son was a player. I said that the time that the mentality was that of a corner shop proprietor. Now we have something that resembles a slightly larger enterprise - perhaps a small department store, say - a mostly absent proprietor and his son at the helm. Nothing much has changed, fundamentally, has it?

The irony is that set up got us far closer to the top flight than any other in the last 43 years & “Uncle Pete” unearthed some absolute gems..

I think GJ is probably our most under appreciated manager in recent times.

Of course it went South late on (what on earth were all those random striker signings about?) but 4th, 10th, 10th at a time we didn’t have the income from the stadium renovation or spend wildly (like we did under Ashton) really wasn’t too shabby.

Best since Alan Dicks for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The irony is that set up got us far closer to the top flight than any other in the last 43 years & “Uncle Pete” unearthed some absolute gems..

I think GJ is probably our most under appreciated manager in recent times.

Of course it went South late on (what on earth were all those random striker signings about?) but 4th, 10th, 10th at a time we didn’t have the income from the stadium renovation or spend wildly (like we did under Ashton) really wasn’t too shabby.

Best since Alan Dicks for me.

Agree

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.

Then again, even his son said “he’s just a lower league manager who’s a good man-manager” or words to that effect.  What were the exact words @Sheltons Army?

Very close to that -

When I met him I thought he had a real charisma , a real presence - I remember thinking ‘Id Want to play for you’

The side he put together , for relative peanuts was some achievement - I also thought he galvanised the whole Club better than anyone I’d seen

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Agree

Very close to that -

When I met him I thought he had a real charisma , a real presence - I remember thinking ‘Id Want to play for you’

The side he put together , for relative peanuts was some achievement - I also thought he galvanised the whole Club better than anyone I’d seen

He certainly did, a lot of bollocks gets talked about the side that got to the playoff final.

It had an inspired goalkeeper, a proper back four, two physical, tough full backs, an aerially dominant CB alongside a top, top central defender in Louis.

Marvin Elliott was absolutely awesome in midfield, McIndoe might have turned out to be a bit of a ***** but he was phenomenal that season & LJ, Sproule (brilliant outlet when we were under the cosh) both played their part.

Up front was clearly our weakest area, Trundle was a L1 player in truth but Byfield had his moments & Adebola significantly improved us.

We out ran, outfought & wore down so many good teams & as you say, the crowd was completely behind them.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He certainly did, a lot of bollocks gets talked about the side that got to the playoff final.

It had an inspired goalkeeper, a proper back four, two physical, tough full backs, an aerially dominant CB alongside a top, top central defender in Louis.

Marvin Elliott was absolutely awesome in midfield, McIndoe might have turned out to be a bit of a ***** but he was phenomenal that season & LJ, Sproule (brilliant outlet when we were under the cosh) both played their part.

Up front was clearly our weakest area, Trundle was a L1 player in truth but Byfield had his moments & Adebola significantly improved us.

We out ran, outfought & wore down so many good teams & as you say, the crowd was completely behind them.

I really liked McIndoe, oh for a left sided player of his ability and tenacity.  Macca at LB doesn’t get the credit he deserves…because we’ve had so many good LBs over the years!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I really liked McIndoe, oh for a left sided player of his ability and tenacity.  Macca at LB doesn’t get the credit he deserves…because we’ve had so many good LBs over the years!

Great combination, McAllister was first & foremost a defender, he (like Orr) hated getting beaten by his man, very similar in style to Martin Scott.

McIndoe gave him brilliant cover but was also good going forward & a goal threat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robin for life said:

Will it happen: Unlikely

Could It Happen: Possibly

Would he take the job if offered: Absolutely

Would the fans get behind him: Doubtful

Could he win them around: Maybe

Should he have been sacked: No Yes

Are we better since he left: No

Is his style of football entertaining: Yes No

Did we look better under him: Yes

Would I personally have him back: Yes Absolutely NO!

7 / 10

I can't go back to the David Brent style spin. I just can't.

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

Puts it brilliantly Dave.

MA was a finance director. What LJ needed was a director of football. 

I was about to suggest Pearson as DOF/Consultant and LJ as Head Coach.

Then realized if Lee said any kind of buzzword, Nige would probably sit there utterly stumped wondering what it was he meant and after the fourth would probably punch him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Great post….. we’re the new Grace Bothers (there’s one for the kids!). 
or maybe Woolworths…

Looks like all those pesky online retailers and out of town stores have pulled our pants down. 

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

I can't go back to the David Brent style spin. I just can't.

I was about to suggest Pearson as DOF/Consultant and LJ as Head Coach.

Then realized if Lee said any kind of buzzword, Nige would probably sit there utterly stumped wondering what it was he meant and after the fourth would probably punch him.

Get the popcorn out ? can picture Lee midway through an interview, seeing Nigel in the stands and changing tack quickly