IGNORED

Matt James

Dredd

First off, I’m not for one second pointing fingers at him for the way this season has gone. But…

As steady as he is in the middle, I don’t see him impact a game. He isn’t massively creative, he doesn’t break up play, I’ve never seen him control a game, he doesn’t dictate the tempo, I just genuinely couldn’t describe him as a midfielder if someone asked me to.

I would guess he’s on a decent wage so are we saying he’s been a successful signing or not?

• Like 7

Very disappointing so far. Had high hopes.

His return to the side has also coincided with our rubbish form of the last 8 games or so. Probably played our best football this season when he was injured.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dredd said:

First off, I’m not for one second pointing fingers at him for the way this season has gone. But…

As steady as he is in the middle, I don’t see him impact a game. He isn’t massively creative, he doesn’t break up play, I’ve never seen him control a game, he doesn’t dictate the tempo, I just genuinely couldn’t describe him as a midfielder if someone asked me to.

I would guess he’s on a decent wage so are we saying he’s been a successful signing or not?

A shade below par overall.  Had some good games before his foot injury, which then hampered him.  Been indifferent since his return.

Personally think it's down to injury and quality around him like a couple of our players injuries interrupt form it's the same with Scott same with Dasilva etc etc James doesn't become a crap player over night he certainly has it but I don't think we will see it this season now unfortunately.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

Like many, I had high hopes when he signed in the summer. After a fairly promising start, his performances have unfortunately deteriorated as the season has progressed. Whilst injuries have undoubtedly not helped, he simply doesn’t look fit or mobile enough for me as a central midfield player in the championship. Needs to work hard on his fitness over the summer to have a better impact for us next season I feel.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Him and Williams were dreadful today both so slow.

I’m certainly with you re Williams today, he was absolutely terrible.

Gave the ball away repeatedly first half & was absolutely miles off the pace, they broke on us once & it was just Klose (who bailed us out twice to stop certain goals), Cundy & James back, Atkinson, who seemed to be really struggling first half & Williams were nowhere.

We have major issues in centre mid but compared to Williams & the player who replaced him, I thought James was borderline 6/10 today.

James and the Leicester connection have been unbelievably predictable:

James - injury prone career. Misses a large chunk of the season injured and not the same player since. 
Simpson - looked fat and useless on loan last season. Turned out to be fat and useless. 
King - nice bloke who’s made no impact anywhere for 2-3 years. Signs for City… turns out to be a nice bloke but made no impact. 
Pearson - nothing of note since leaving Leicester… nothing here… so far. 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

It comes to all players eventually - they can’t do it anymore and their best days are behind them. Unfortunately, I think this applies to James. The City midfield has been poor too often this season and it needs players with energy, not strollers   

All the Leicester recruits have been disappointing.   Two right backs have been recruited and one was past it and the other wasn't Championship ready. Nigel Pearson makes the point that the team isn't lacking technical ability but  lacks 'personality' and he'll replace the players with personality players.  That's a good sound bite but the reality is that his first effort at this approach has been a failure.  Simpson, King and James all have 'personality' but their contributions have been poor. Their injuries are also another red cross for Pearson's recruitment report.

The question then becomes will NP recruit more James' Simpson's and kings with 'personality' or pick out hungry first-team ready talent like Rob Atkinson.  I fear with the emphasis on 'personality' it might be the former.  If personality is synonymous with attitude and a never say die attitude, we do have that in Andi Weimann and Joe Williams and a few others. Maybe the manager needs to look in the mirror and ask if his tactics, coaching and man management are a factor rather than the 'lack of personality' issue that he perceives is the root of the problem.

Obviously I want Pearson to succeed but he will probably have a decent transfer budget from sell-on cuts from Kelly and Webster plus a decent fee for Massengo and potentially a substantive sum from either Semenyo or Scott being sold.   The summer recruitment is going to be crucial and, based on four out of five of his recruits so far, it's questionable whether Pearson will recruit astutely. He's a highly experienced manager but I hope he has learned from the recruitment errors he has made so far.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

All the Leicester recruits have been disappointing.   Two right backs have been recruited and one was past it and the other wasn't Championship ready. Nigel Pearson makes the point that the team isn't lacking technical ability but  lacks 'personality' and he'll replace the players with personality players.  That's a good sound bite but the reality is that his first effort at this approach has been a failure.  Simpson, King and James all have 'personality' but their contributions have been poor. Their injuries are also another red cross for Pearson's recruitment report.

The question then becomes will NP recruit more James' Simpson's and kings with 'personality' or pick out hungry first-team ready talent like Rob Atkinson.  I fear with the emphasis on 'personality' it might be the former.  If personality is synonymous with attitude and a never say die attitude, we do have that in Andi Weimann and Joe Williams and a few others. Maybe the manager needs to look in the mirror and ask if his tactics, coaching and man management are a factor rather than the 'lack of personality' issue that he perceives is the root of the problem.

Obviously I want Pearson to succeed but he will probably have a decent transfer budget from sell-on cuts from Kelly and Webster plus a decent fee for Massengo and potentially a substantive sum from either Semenyo or Scott being sold.   The summer recruitment is going to be crucial and, based on four out of five of his recruits so far, it's questionable whether Pearson will recruit astutely. He's a highly experienced manager but I hope he has learned from the recruitment errors he has made so far.

Fantastic post ?

49 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I’d take Marlon Pack back in the summer, on a free, and he would be far better. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Him and Williams were dreadful today both so slow.

Have to agree. I thought James was a steady acquisition who organised well until his injury, but since he seems to slow our tempo down without adding much value. 

Williams just looked like he didn’t want to risk full throttle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSN Red said:

It annoys me he takes all the set pieces when Scott’s delivery is much better

Did he complete a single cross today - seemed to want to play everything along the floor which was then intercepted?

He’s young and will have poor games, but today show’s he’s nowhere near the price bracket fans are quoting or PL standard- a move would just need another championship loan.

As others have eluded to, James looked a decent acquisition at the start of the season but overall he has been pretty average.

I struggle to see what his main attributes are? He tends to drop deep to get the ball off the centre half’s to ponderously play it side ways to the full backs. I wouldn’t mind if he could dictate the tempo like Williams can do on his good days but he can’t.

Games seem to pass him by & I have absolutely no idea why he’s on corners & free kicks when his delivery is poor. Agree with the OP as I genuinely don’t think I could describe what type of midfielder he is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’m certainly with you re Williams today, he was absolutely terrible.

Gave the ball away repeatedly first half & was absolutely miles off the pace, they broke on us once & it was just Klose (who bailed us out twice to stop certain goals), Cundy & James back, Atkinson, who seemed to be really struggling first half & Williams were nowhere.

We have major issues in centre mid but compared to Williams & the player who replaced him, I thought James was borderline 6/10 today.

Bentley was a 6/10 (his kicking was the usual snow and backspin rubbish otherwise worth a 7). None of the rest deserved a 6, quite a few deserved a 4. James and Williams would be lucky to get a 3 each on that effort today.

1 hour ago, MSN Red said:

It annoys me he takes all the set pieces when Scott’s delivery is much better

Agreed. Scott can deliver a decent ball whereas James literally just clips it in with no pace or whip whatsoever. His passes have absolutely zero pace on them as well.

Have not rated him all season. He just doesn’t have the mobility needed for this level. That is compounded playing in a 2. It winds me up he takes all the set pieces. Dasilva and Scott much better imo. He pulled out of two challenges that I remember too. One not long before the foul that led to their goal. Not blaming him but it stuck in my mind!

He does the tidy bits but someone like him should have more of an influence on the game and I just don't see how he can do it. He reads the game well but is so one paced. When you look at teams like Cov, Swansea & Huddersfield as examples they play as a unit, have mobility & have good movement & interplay across the pitch. 

When you look at the players who have left or were simply deemed not good enough like Pato, Korey Smith & Marlon Pack. All of those players would easily make today's team sheet. That's how much we have regressed.

• Like 5