IGNORED

Matt James

Dredd

Have seen him live twice now & my opinion of him from watching him on tv is the same, poor man’s Cole Skuse/Marlon Pack. Didn’t Pearson say he was one of the best midfielders in the Championship? Really don’t see it & hope in some ways he’s not fit/ carrying a knock, so he can prove me wrong. COYR 

I think Pearson’s faith in him will be his downfall. He’s a very good all round player but I’d say only at a lower level than the championship. 
I felt we played our best football without him . Our build up play was quicker and less predictable. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Did he complete a single cross today - seemed to want to play everything along the floor which was then intercepted?

He’s young and will have poor games, but today show’s he’s nowhere near the price bracket fans are quoting or PL standard- a move would just need another championship loan.

Scott’s best games were during the time James was injured.  I feel that James stifles Scott.  Our best recent performances were when we had Scott and Massengo as our central midfield. 

Edited by MSN Red
  • Like 2

Agree with a lot of what’s been said - and I think, bottom line for me is I’m not sure what he’s “for” in there. I don’t see a player who makes loads of tackles, who breaks the game up or plays through the lines to move us forward. He’s just “there” - not doing anything badly but not really doing anything.

Pearson said yesterday about passive players - I think James is absolutely passive and lets the game pass him by. Last week at Bournemouth he had a good last 20 when he had to be steady to balance Massengo but yesterday we didn’t even see that.

So, for me the question is that if at this stage of his career he’s a player who is 6/10 at a lot of things when playing well, but is seeming to dip below that, and not 7/10 or 8/10 at any point, is he any more than now a backup player?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with a lot of what’s been said - and I think, bottom line for me is I’m not sure what he’s “for” in there. I don’t see a player who makes loads of tackles, who breaks the game up or plays through the lines to move us forward. He’s just “there” - not doing anything badly but not really doing anything.

Pearson said yesterday about passive players - I think James is absolutely passive and lets the game pass him by. Last week at Bournemouth he had a good last 20 when he had to be steady to balance Massengo but yesterday we didn’t even see that.

So, for me the question is that if at this stage of his career he’s a player who is 6/10 at a lot of things when playing well, but is seeming to dip below that, and not 7/10 or 8/10 at any point, is he any more than now a backup player?

Excellent summary ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

We were playing much better a month or so ago with Massengo and Scott in the middle imo

Agree

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Scott is being wasted at the moment.

Also agree with this and I think we played better football with Max's distribution from the back although Bentley is the better shot stopper etc.

3 hours ago, Super said:

They def can't play in a 2 for sure.

Yes, it feels to me like our better performances have been with a central 3.

Can't be arsed to actually look through our results game by game to check if it's fact but that's how it feels at any rate. Plus Semenyo playing at his best up top.

James, Williams and Scott in midfield + up front Weimann and Semenyo either side of an upgrade on Martin (or at least someone to job share with him) should be good enough. Add Kalas, Klose and a couple of solid full backs and you'd expect us to be upper mid table next season.

But I'm beginning to doubt we'll ever see it, for all sorts of reasons. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

12 hours ago, Offside said:

I thought he played well at the start of the season. Since returning from injury he has struggled. His mobility is a problem and he does seem quite weighty. Both James and Williams were poor today. I expect more from them. 

Should never be in the same midfield, not dynamic enough. The shot from Posh on 28 mins was a prime example, far to slow to shut it down.

Look like they are running in tar most of the time.

You could get away with one alongside a more athletic partner.

The idea that the Manager thinks you can pair them in midfield is a mystery.

Edited by Waconda

16 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

He isn't very quick or mobile which is a big problem in the modern game. Cov fans raved about him, so not sure what has happened?

He doesn't appear to have a particularly good range of passing either, so unfortunately i have to agree with the OP.

Perhaps to do with legs around him at Coventry? Thought Hamer was superb in both games we played against them this season and their side is full of energy 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, it feels to me like our better performances have been with a central 3.

Can't be arsed to actually look through our results game by game to check if it's fact but that's how it feels at any rate. Plus Semenyo playing at his best up top.

James, Williams and Scott in midfield + up front Weimann and Semenyo either side of an upgrade on Martin (or at least someone to job share with him) should be good enough. Add Kalas, Klose and a couple of solid full backs and you'd expect us to be upper mid table next season.

But I'm beginning to doubt we'll ever see it, for all sorts of reasons. 

Although it is hard at present to see one, I think that’s the plan.

If Pearson had 4 defenders he trusted, I think a 3 man midfield of James, Scott & 1 other, plus a front three of Martin, Weimann & Semenyo is where we are looking to go.

Whether we ever get there, if players are sold, is as you say, doubtful.

On 09/04/2022 at 21:33, Dredd said:

First off, I’m not for one second pointing fingers at him for the way this season has gone. But…

As steady as he is in the middle, I don’t see him impact a game. He isn’t massively creative, he doesn’t break up play, I’ve never seen him control a game, he doesn’t dictate the tempo, I just genuinely couldn’t describe him as a midfielder if someone asked me to.

I would guess he’s on a decent wage so are we saying he’s been a successful signing or not?

On top of that he is slower than my Gran

On 09/04/2022 at 21:33, Dredd said:

First off, I’m not for one second pointing fingers at him for the way this season has gone. But…

As steady as he is in the middle, I don’t see him impact a game. He isn’t massively creative, he doesn’t break up play, I’ve never seen him control a game, he doesn’t dictate the tempo, I just genuinely couldn’t describe him as a midfielder if someone asked me to.

I would guess he’s on a decent wage so are we saying he’s been a successful signing or not?

Rather have Marlon if im honest!