IGNORED

Matt James

Dredd

I haven't been particularly impressed by Matty James but i do wonder if he's another victim of the lack of identity we have as a team.

We don't play with any width and we tend to be under a lot of pressure in most games we play, so it can't be easy for our midfield to dominate a game.

Just like Joe Williams, he was highly rated by his previous club, so he may well be a better player than he's been able to show with us.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I haven't been particularly impressed by Matty James but i do wonder if he's another victim of the lack of identity we have as a team.

We don't play with any width and we tend to be under a lot of pressure in most games we play, so it can't be easy for our midfield to dominate a game.

Just like Joe Williams, he was highly rated by his previous club, so he may well be a better player than he's been able to show with us.

Exactly this! Don't become a bad player over night we seriously lack consistency in individual performances.

12 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

he was highly rated by his previous club, so he may well be a better player than he's been able to show with us.

And this is exactly the problem, we have a mid table Championship squad ability wise but the team constantly performs like a mid table League 1 side.

Wiemann is a notable exception and his performances (combined with points deductions) have kept us out of the bottom 3.

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

We are playing 3 at the back . When we go to a back 4 then the midfield will have a different look and feel . Let’s see how it goes  with James then . He’s not been at his best but I would like to see him in the set up he is used to . 

I tend to agree, I am assuming we plan to play 4-3-3 when we have the personnel.

Second half last week we paired Klose & Atkinson & that at least looked alright, but our lack of a natural RB with significant Championship experience (I’m assuming Vyner won’t get another go now) has really hampered our ability to try this.

• Like 1

As others have said, Matt James in a midfield two i.e. when we play 3 CBs, doesn't work for me because he simply does not have the pace to recover position when other teams break through us, nor does he have the legs to get up and down like Williams can (when fit). If we play 4-3-3 it would suit him much better, otherwise his slow play does not help at all. 

• Flames 1

On 09/04/2022 at 21:33, Dredd said:

First off, I’m not for one second pointing fingers at him for the way this season has gone. But…

As steady as he is in the middle, I don’t see him impact a game. He isn’t massively creative, he doesn’t break up play, I’ve never seen him control a game, he doesn’t dictate the tempo, I just genuinely couldn’t describe him as a midfielder if someone asked me to.

I would guess he’s on a decent wage so are we saying he’s been a successful signing or not?

It's a better midfield with him in it then without him in it,

But everything you say is true