IGNORED

Our worst manager in the last 20 years …

Citychuds

I have a view on our current manager but I like good old fashioned stats so here are some about our managers which make some interesting reading. I’ve excluded temporary managers Coppell counts as temporary by the way. Millens temp stats only make him look better!

win rate ranked

Wilson 1, Cotterill 2, Holden 3, Gary J 4, Lee J 5, Tinnion 6, Millen 7, mcinnes 8, O’driscoll 9, Pearson 10 

loss rate ranked

Cotterill 1, Tinnion 2, Wilson 3, Gary J 4, Lee J 5, Holden 6, O’driscoll 7, Millen 8, Mcinnes 9, Pearson 10 

Points per game

Cotterill 1, Wilson 2, Gary J 3, Tinnion 4, Holden 5, Lee J 6, Millen 7, O’driscoll 8, Mcinnes 9, Pearson 10

Only one manager has a win rate at less than 25%, two managers have a loss rate over 50% and one manager has averaged less than a point a game!!

Admittedly some of these managers managed in league one however can we claim this is the worst squad we’ve had in comparison to the teams we play?

Interested in peoples thoughts and whether Mr Pearson wouldn’t be quite so popular if hadn’t had a successful period at one of his many clubs.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Mr Chappers said:

Has to be judged according to League, resources etc. Pearson inherited a mess, and has done well keeping us up (With help from point deductions). Personally, I rated Holden, undone by injuries and fan demands for a ‘big name’. 

Holden would have got more out of this squad than Pearson. LJ would have got more out of this squad than Pearson. Cotterill would have got more out of this squad than Pearson. Maybe only a couple of positions but every position counts when we are the team that would be scrambling for points to stay up had Reading and Derby not had points deductions. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Stats are not kind, but let's be fair, some of those managers spend millions.  Pearson has been lumbered with a weak squad and no money.

Tinnion & Wilson also didn’t manage a single game at Championship level with us.

Pointless comparison.

• Like 15
  • Flames 1

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Well according to your stats (Without any context of what League & what circumstances)

....... That has Danny Wilson as at least our second best manager In this period.....

Yep , ok

To be fair, Wilson was amazing if you never wanted to actually get promoted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well according to your stats (Without any context of what League & what circumstances)

....... That has Danny Wilson as at least our second best manager In this period.....

Yep , ok

They aren’t my stats they are the stats. They are facts. I agree they do need context but let’s not forget we’ve just drawn against a league one team. Are we basically saying this playing squad and our position is the worst we have been in for 20 years in comparison to those around us. I don’t want LJ back I don’t want Danny Wilson back, but can somebody tell me why Pearson is so popular? Is it because he is the hard man? I don’t know if anyone has noticed, it’s not working. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s face it all those managers failed in the end, and most of them spectacularly.  Not one poached by higher placed club.

Our recruitment of managers has generally been dire, partly because we have no professional recruitment policy - same with playing staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

LJ wins this hands down . Left the club with 38m debts and a squad that no one wants . Pearson is one of the best we have ever had . Created 40/50 m talent from the academy in 12 months . Extraordinary performance when dealing with the squad inherited . 

Um.........I believe  the talent was already present in the academy, he just played them in the first team?  He wasn't even manager when the trio you refer to signed for us?  When you say he created them?  He's not Dr Frankenstein ?...........   Anyhow, i don't believe so?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Citychuds said:

I have a view on our current manager but I like good old fashioned stats so here are some about our managers which make some interesting reading. I’ve excluded temporary managers Coppell counts as temporary by the way. Millens temp stats only make him look better!

win rate ranked

Wilson 1, Cotterill 2, Holden 3, Gary J 4, Lee J 5, Tinnion 6, Millen 7, mcinnes 8, O’driscoll 9, Pearson 10 

loss rate ranked

Cotterill 1, Tinnion 2, Wilson 3, Gary J 4, Lee J 5, Holden 6, O’driscoll 7, Millen 8, Mcinnes 9, Pearson 10 

Points per game

Cotterill 1, Wilson 2, Gary J 3, Tinnion 4, Holden 5, Lee J 6, Millen 7, O’driscoll 8, Mcinnes 9, Pearson 10

Only one manager has a win rate at less than 25%, two managers have a loss rate over 50% and one manager has averaged less than a point a game!!

Admittedly some of these managers managed in league one however can we claim this is the worst squad we’ve had in comparison to the teams we play?

Interested in peoples thoughts and whether Mr Pearson wouldn’t be quite so popular if hadn’t had a successful period at one of his many clubs.

I'm afraid its a bit like asking who's your best City 11. When you've got some of those managers playing the likes of Notts County and Hartlepool and others playing Newcastle and Wolves!

What I would add is I think if Cotts and Pearson had the funds that Lee Johnson was given it would read a totally different set of stats.

What we have to remember is that Pearson HAS done a remarkable job in slowing down the downward spiral with next to no funds. He's also hampered with a large wage bill and inherited players who he clearly doesn't want. Moving players on isn't easy. If I have a couple of reservations about him it's working with a smaller squad and that he doesn't suffer egos. Maybe that's a good thing as we have to get rid of this passive and soft culture that still pervades around the club.

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

LJ wins this hands down . Left the club with 38m debts and a squad that no one wants . Pearson is one of the best we have ever had . Created 40/50 m talent from the academy in 12 months . Extraordinary performance when dealing with the squad inherited . 

I assume this is a joke (but I  have been drinking)

3 hours ago, Citychuds said:

win rate ranked

loss rate ranked

Points per game

Idiot!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Says a lot about our club really that a fan can claim that a manager with a 25% win ratio is ‘one of the best we’ve ever had’. 

I think we should stick with Pearson (as realistically we can’t afford to sack him and replace him with someone better) but what’s he done thus far to be one of the best managers we’ve had in the last 20 years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Says a lot about our club really that a fan can claim that a manager with a 25% win ratio is ‘one of the best we’ve ever had’. 

I think we should stick with Pearson (as realistically we can’t afford to sack him and replace him with someone better) but what’s he done thus far to be one of the best managers we’ve had in the last 20 years?

If we stick with him then we are relegation certainties next season, he could barely be any worse, we can’t afford NOT to sack him

8 hours ago, Citychuds said:

win rate ranked

loss rate ranked

Points per game

Can we have a multi coloured spreadsheet on this please !!

24 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

What a way to get all the ‘happy clappers’ spitting feathers. How dare you attempt to show Pearson in a bad light

Facts are like Kryptonite to the sycophantic happy clappers.

They prefer some sort of misleading multi coloured spread sheet with certain stats missing.

I agree that some of the comparisons are with managers who were in a different league but it still doesn’t look good. The old trusty ‘he has a poor squad’ only stacks up when you play a team with a better one…. Peterborough do not have a better squad than us, so that excuse is taken away. We were still pathetic so it’s not all down to the squad. What a day to put in a performance like that when season ticket sales just up for renewal.