IGNORED

FBC PODCAST: Peterborough [H] reviewed..... are you with the in corwd?

headhunter

We recorded this morning with 100 listening live on the Podbean platform:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/peterborough-h-reviewed-are-you-with-the-in-crowd/  [also on Spotify, Google & Apple]

Ian, Neil, Mark and DaveP go through the match action as City failed to get max points against bottom of the table Posh who were a man down for the final third of the game.

Is it player mentality, coaching or both that are the root cause of the problem or does it go right to the top and the benevolent and benign dictatorship that is life under the Lansdown dynasty - SL is undoubtedly a winner in business but not when it comes to running a football club; others have achieved a lot more with a lot less.

Are NP's veiled criticisms of policy and attitude evidence of him trying to orchestrate his own sacking [he's ain't walking away from the £2M balance owed on his contract] and if that happens who would we be happy with to lead us forward into 22/23

• Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

We recorded this morning with 100 listening live on the Podbean platform:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/peterborough-h-reviewed-are-you-with-the-in-crowd/  [also on Spotify, Google & Apple]

Ian, Neil, Mark and DaveP go through the match action as City failed to get max points against bottom of the table Posh who were a man down for the final third of the game.

Is it player mentality, coaching or both that are the root cause of the problem or does it go right to the top and the benevolent and benign dictatorship that is life under the Lansdown dynasty - SL is undoubtedly a winner in business but not when it comes to running a football club; others have achieved a lot more with a lot less.

Are NP's veiled criticisms of policy and attitude evidence of him trying to orchestrate his own sacking [he's ain't walking away from the £2M balance owed on his contract] and if that happens who would we be happy with to lead us forward into 22/23

I doubt Pearson is on £1m p.a (£20k p.w).

20 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Yeah I thought that. They usually earn less than the top players (however nonsensical that seems!!!).  
And I doubt he’s be entitled to more than a year? Surely we write that into contracts??? 

Was that given out as fact on the pod?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I doubt Pearson is on £1m p.a (£20k p.w).

Given Gould is on £350K (a £150K reduction on what Ashton was paid) it would be surprising if Pearson was on more than Johnson or Holden were on.

Finger in the air guess would be something between £400K and £500K basic. Then a tapered bonus based on league position, and hefty promotion bonuses.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Given Gould is on £350K (a £150K reduction on what Ashton was paid) it would be surprising if Pearson was on more than Johnson or Holden were on.

Finger in the air guess would be £500K basic plus a tapered bonus based on league position, and hefty promotion bonuses.

Sounds about right to me.

The assertion by the OP that NP is trying to instigate his own sacking is scandalous but considering the history of his comments, I’m not exactly surprised.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The assertion by the OP that NP is trying to instigate his own sacking is scandalous but considering the history of his comments, I’m not exactly surprised.

Agreed. Been discussed elsewhere but imo the guy is frustrated, perhaps a little jaded, perhaps feeling a little mis-sold on the kind of support he'd get. I think he has some ideas that he's not been allowed to implement, and he is annoyed. That's fair.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed. Been discussed elsewhere but imo the guy is frustrated, perhaps a little jaded, perhaps feeling a little mis-sold on the kind of support he'd get. I think he has some ideas that he's not been allowed to implement, and he is annoyed. That's fair.

I think he's ran out of ideas and is just a shite manager

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

@GrahamC

I get where @headhunter is coming from, don't actually think NP is trying to instigate his own sacking though.

What i do think, is NP is aware that really we need a revolution, rather than an evolution in all departments over the summer to remain in this division next season.

He's starting to call out the club hierarchy, and obviously was somewhat terse about Jon Lansdown's comments 6 or so weeks ago.

He right about what he says, but i feel he has put himself on somewhat of a collision course with the Lansdowns over it.

Financially we've made mistakes, i'm sure the SL would want to make up for those mistakes; but the current FFP structure doesn't allow us to do that.

Everybody is frustrated, and now NP has turned on pretty much everybody at the club in calling for change.

Ultinately though, how much can we change without either selling our saleable  players, or hoping for the trio with sell ons to move on (outside of our control).

Moving the high earners would be great. But realistically no-one other than Kalas would move for a fee, and we have to subside so many of others, what's the point in moving them on, unless they get completely off the balance sheet.

I have this sense of dread about the summer. If like myself and @GrahamC were talking about yesterday there's only marginal change, then let's face it; we are in a relegation battle next year, deep in the mire.

Otherwise for me regretably sell Scott, Semenyeo, and HNM; take the money and reinvest in 7-8 players that uplift the squad as a whole.

There's no point in holding onto your "gems", if the rest of the squad isn't up to it. Look what's happened this season with them in it. They've all tailored off due to the demands of the Championship, and we are in the bottom six.

There's no point holding onto prospects on the basis of another relegation battle.

I fear though that this will be a battle that NP ultimately knows he won't win; and we're have to restart the managerial 3 year nonsense all over again.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Quite simple really,

If people are honest avoiding relegation was the major (if only) goal for this season - Done 

The squad that remained to start this season was lacking depth,  experience and was unbalanced. Compared to other previous managers there was very limited funds to balance the squad. Players (particularly Fammy) were allowed to run down their contract and leave for nothing.

Despite this crock of shit he inherited, he managed to blood quite a few player's who had previously been loaned out or were still playing U23 football. Not only blood but we now have a brilliant crop of young players we can all get behind and be proud of.

He quickly sorted the wheat from the chaff. Players that didn't train well enough or give even a reasonable amount during games. Palmer will probably never play for us again but Desilva is testament to the fact that the door is never slammed shut.

Listen to some of the players. Wells - wants to remain and mentioned continuing to enjoy working with the manager.

Semenyo- it was stated that NP was the main reason he wanted to stay.

Pring, stated he felt settled here for the first time because NP made him feel part of BCFC.

Many of the young players promoted to the first team stated the positive influence NP had.

Lots of youngsters now have valuable first team experience and will only get better.

The club is, in my honest opinion, in good hands and he must be allowed to continue.

I recently renewed my season ticket and I, for one, will be really pissed off if NP is not the manager come August.

COYR!!!

Fair play mate, very well explained. I don't agree with lots of it but I respect your opinion.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Quite simple really,

If people are honest avoiding relegation was the major (if only) goal for this season - Done 

The squad that remained to start this season was lacking depth,  experience and was unbalanced. Compared to other previous managers there was very limited funds to balance the squad. Players (particularly Fammy) were allowed to run down their contract and leave for nothing.

Despite this crock of shit he inherited, he managed to blood quite a few player's who had previously been loaned out or were still playing U23 football. Not only blood but we now have a brilliant crop of young players we can all get behind and be proud of.

He quickly sorted the wheat from the chaff. Players that didn't train well enough or give even a reasonable amount during games. Palmer will probably never play for us again but Desilva is testament to the fact that the door is never slammed shut.

Listen to some of the players. Wells - wants to remain and mentioned continuing to enjoy working with the manager.

Semenyo- it was stated that NP was the main reason he wanted to stay.

Pring, stated he felt settled here for the first time because NP made him feel part of BCFC.

Many of the young players promoted to the first team stated the positive influence NP had.

Lots of youngsters now have valuable first team experience and will only get better.

The club is, in my honest opinion, in good hands and he must be allowed to continue.

I recently renewed my season ticket and I, for one, will be really pissed off if NP is not the manager come August.

COYR!!!

Don't disagree with your points there.

However have we ever heard the Lansdowns come out, and say NP is doing a good job; or has achieved their expectations?

To the contrary the Chairman expressed his own views that we should be doing better, on hisnfleeting visit. Cue NP's terse response.

That'a why i can't see them getting behind his comments from yesterday this summer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Don't disagree with your points there.

However have we ever heard the Lansdowns come out, and say NP is doing a good job; or has achieved their expectations?

To the contrary the Chairman expressed his own views that we should be doing better, on hisnfleeting visit. Cue NP's terse response.

That'a why i can't see them getting behind his comments from yesterday this summer.

If you read back what Jon said, it wasn’t actually that bad, but….he was answering like a fan, when he should be answering like a Chairman.  If that is what he really thinks as Chairman, then why no action?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you read back what Jon said, it wasn’t actually that bad, but….he was answering like a fan, when he should be answering like a Chairman.  If that is what he really thinks as Chairman, then why no action?

100% @Davefevs

A couple of months later, and results haven't got better; and response from the chairman is ......????

It's one thing being a fan, a whole different thing being a chairman getting called out effectively by the manager.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

100% @Davefevs

A couple of months later, and results haven't got better; and response from the chairman is ......????

It's one thing being a fan, a whole different thing being a chairman getting called out effectively by the manager.

Jon is chairman in name only. No power, no authority,  a chocolate teapot. 

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I wouldn't say it was an assertion but simply an opinion made to trigger debate. If NP starts "poking the bear" [in this instance the Lansdowns'] with truthful, provocative comments it will bite. Cotterill did similar and look how that ended.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I wouldn't say it was an assertion but simply an opinion made to trigger debate. If NP starts "poking the bear" [in this instance the Lansdowns'] with truthful, provocative comments it will bite. Cotterill did similar and look how that ended.

Fair enough but “he ain’t walking away from the £2m balance” is a statement that on two accounts you cannot possibly know to be true, isn’t it?

I doubt very much he is on anywhere near that sum (£1m a year) for starters, so that’s a completely made up figure & whatever your views on Pearson, he has implied this could well be his last managerial job & strikes me very much as the sort who would reach a stage where he went “**** it” and just walked, without giving a hoot about compensation.

I might be wrong there, but then again so might you, so really you’re just guessing, aren’t you?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough but “he ain’t walking away from the £2m balance” is a statement that on two accounts you cannot possibly know to be true, isn’t it?

I doubt very much he is on anywhere near that sum (£1m a year) for starters, so that’s a completely made up figure & whatever your views on Pearson, he has implied this could well be his last managerial job & strikes me very much as the sort who would reach a stage where he went “**** it” and just walked, without giving a hoot about compensation.

I might be wrong there, but then again so might you, so really you’re just guessing, aren’t you?

But I never said it claiming it to be right - just an opinion based on perhaps with hindsight an over inflated guess on NP's salary; somewhat different to Ian's assertion that "Mark Ashton told me" [that City don't pay loan fees]

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Well done @headhunterthought that was well chaired today. Much better balance with Neil on the show. 

Ian’s comment “when I spoke to Mark Ashton he confirmed there was no loan fee for Afobe”. Oh it must be true!!?

Is he still trotting out that?

Scenario 1: so Mark, are you doing something that might make you appear in a good light?  Well, it’s commercially sensitive, but yes I am!

Example: sell-on percentages

Scenario 2: so Mark, are you doing something that might make you appear in a worse light?  No!

Example: loan fees

Some interesting points made @headhunterand the conversation which Neil was driving around club mentality is and will continue to be a point of discussion for me & others.

I think a number of us for a while have thought there are a number of playing and non playing staff that have been stealing a living at the club for a while. I do think NP is trying to change that culture, but difficult to do if the men at the top aren’t supportive of that change.

This is why I don’t think any thought process around management changes are as binary as some fans think. Change the manager won’t address some the clubs underlying cultural challenges the club faces.

As Mark called out the last time we made the play offs was 2008 and we haven’t really got close since. Is this all down to the management on the playing side??

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Quite simple really,

True. But you could also achieve this goal - avoiding relegation - by getting 60 points and finishing 12th. Or 70 points, and just missing out on the play-offs. Or even by getting promotion  (this is a bloody great way of avoiding relegation).

We didn’t have to be almost exactly as shite as last season to avoid relegation. More than one way to skin a cat, as the lad at West 'am'll tell you....