IGNORED

Paul Weller

AppyDAZE

Went to see this guy and his band in Cheltenham on Friday night. At first it felt a little like I was being dragged along by my other half (she is the big fan), because I've not really been much of a fan of his music. TOTALLY won over. At age 63 the bloke has just got it, and his band is so tight and professional. The lead guitarist I am told, started off playing in Ocean Colour Scene and he was amazing. The whole night was brilliant and I would DEFINITELY go to watch one of his gigs again. To have that commitment to music for so many years, and to still perform to perfection (and it was total perfection, no bum notes, nothing awry all night, and it's a big set list too) ...  well, I now know that PW is a British music legend.  Fair play, Paul. I now look forward to checking out your big back catalogue.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

The lead guitarist I am told, started off playing in Ocean Colour Scene and he was amazing

Steve Craddock I believe - simultaneously lead gutairist for Weller's solo career and OCS. He did a some solo work a few years back as well. Not sure how well received it was, but watched him on the Grain Barge and he was excellent. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

Steve Craddock I believe - simultaneously lead gutairist for Weller's solo career and OCS. He did a some solo work a few years back as well. Not sure how well received it was, but watched him on the Grain Barge and he was excellent. 

Yep, Steve Craddock, been playing guitar for Weller for a while now, with Steve White on the drums.

• Like 2

Check out ocean colour scene live with Chris Evan's Virgin. They are criminally underrated. Steve Craddock lives in devon I think ,Hes a great guitarist

I love Paul weller and have got most of his albums but I must admit I'm not sure on some of his new stuff when I've bought it although Saturn's pattern was good. I'm pretty sure he married a lady from frampton cotterill,Someone told me .

20 hours ago, When the river runs said:

Check out ocean colour scene live with Chris Evan's Virgin. They are criminally underrated. Steve Craddock lives in devon I think ,Hes a great guitarist

I love Paul weller and have got most of his albums but I must admit I'm not sure on some of his new stuff when I've bought it although Saturn's pattern was good. I'm pretty sure he married a lady from frampton cotterill,Someone told me .

I’m fairly sure he has connections to the area. A few years ago he was having a few drinks at the Squire in Sodbury and posing for photos with regulars. I arrived too late!

As for Wellers music, I think the thing for me is that he releases so much that there are invariably peaks and troughs in quality, particularly as he does experiment (within reason). I find there aren’t great albums currently but are great tracks (example - Shades of Blue from Fat Pop!). Seeing him live is a great experience though, done it three times (Westonbirt, Downs, Colston) and fantastic shows.

At heart, I don’t think he’s bettered the Jam (I don’t think there’s a better “story” song than Tube Station), but I can certainly listen to the 40 years since they split up and there aren’t many musicians who can go for that long without turning completely dire or just becoming a nostalgia act.

• Like 2

I saw him at the Colston Hall in the mid 90's, shortly after Heavy Soul was released.

It was absolutely bloody awful. One of the worst concerts I've seen.

He was in the middle of his "I'm not playing anything I wrote before last year" phase and Heavy Soul was not a great album either.

He was in a crap mood, said bugger all and just arsed his way through each song.

It's a shame because the blokes music from In the City all the way up to today is mostly incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Weller married a lass from Yate. They often come back to see family. Frampton, Coalpit Heath, Sodbury and recently Stanshawes and Birdcage in Yate.

Met him a few times. Great guy. And total professional musician.

Fantastic live.

yes she took him to see her brother playing football in Longwell Green. There is a team photo with him in it

• Like 2

Glad I started this thread. Never been his biggest fan, either in The Jam, The Style Council or solo (nothing personal, just not my own personal music taste)

But that night in Cheltenham certainly made me realise the guy is hugely talented, a British icon.

From start to finish it was very, very impressive. And that goes for all the members of his band.

In fact one of the best music gigs I've ever been to.

Interesting to hear people talk about his connection to the west country, and the Yate area in particular.

Maybe one day I might be lucky enough to bump into him  :laugh: 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Glad I started this thread. Never been his biggest fan, either in The Jam, The Style Council or solo (nothing personal, just not my own personal music taste)

But that night in Cheltenham certainly made me realise the guy is hugely talented, a British icon.

From 

You might want to hang around Lidl in Hanham.The little old one mind not the fancy new big one.If there is anything with a yellow sticker on he will be all over it.Dont try to get in first though. He will have your arm off!

5 minutes ago, Slacker said:

You might want to hang around Lidl in Hanham.The little old one mind not the fancy new big one.If there is anything with a yellow sticker on he will be all over it.Dont try to get in first though. He will have your arm off!

:laugh: Sounds like you have history?

8 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

From start to finish it was very, very impressive. And that goes for all the members of his band.

In fact one of the best music gigs I've ever been to.

Interesting to hear people talk about his connection to the west country, and the Yate area in particular.

He was in the Globe in Frampton Cotterill a couple weeks back. Being on tour at the moment I guess he won't be local for a while.

Loved the Jam, didn't bother even watching the Style Council (I've changed my mind a bit now) and started going again around Wild Wood.
I think a major change, and in interviews he's said he himself has changed and mellowed, is the fact he really enjoys it now.
I've seen him a fair bit and you can tell if you're in for a good night by how he looks. Usually good and professional , but get him on a night he's interacting with the band and having a joke, and he's brilliant.
I started picking and choosing Gigs, saw the acoustic tour where he played about 40 minutes (going through the motions), and others where he was great but I hadn't really enjoyed the albums as a whole.
Then the Mrs got us tickets for the Festival hall, turned out to be the one they filmed, I saw those recent albums completely differently and really liked them, plus he was excellent. Then saw his recent tour in Bath where he did something like 35 songs, around 2 hours, just superb .
Funny enough, just got back from Brussels. We were supposed to be seeing him there but he eventually cancelled after 2 years of postponements , at least we turned up .