IGNORED

U23s Today 12.00

bcfc01

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Thought our u23's are a pure reflection of the 1st team, slow, slow and slower with endless iverpassing. By my uncultured eye Barney Soady was very good, Duncan Ideho stuck to his task well, I doubt the rest will make it at championship level

Most of them were in and around the first team so that's probably why!

Enjoyable game and Ipswich were decent.  In fairness was disappointed by Benarous and Conway should have scored at least a couple.  Owers was steady and doesn’t waste the ball & Zak Bell looks a talent.  Best player for us was Soady who was bizarrely taken off.  I also thought Vince Harper another LB was great for us last season and look how that ended. Hope Soady doesn’t go the same way!!  

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Enjoyable game and Ipswich were decent.  In fairness was disappointed by Benarous and Conway should have scored at least a couple.  Owers was steady and doesn’t waste the ball & Zak Bell looks a talent.  Best player for us was Soady who was bizarrely taken off.  I also thought Vince Harper another LB was great for us last season and look how that ended. Hope Soady doesn’t go the same way!!  

Agree with most of this although didn't seevthe Zak Bell talent. Most bizarre to take soady off and thought Max o Leary was dreadfull

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Agree with most of this although didn't seevthe Zak Bell talent. Most bizarre to take soady off and thought Max o Leary was dreadfull

I think the players that disappointed me most were ironically those that have been in and around first team. Thought Zak Bell was decent and has good pace and actually covered round well when RB although seen him better but lots of potential.  Soady was head and shoulders above anyone else and never put a foot wrong and was as perplexed as everyone else when he was subbed.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I think the players that disappointed me most were ironically those that have been in and around first team. Thought Zak Bell was decent and has good pace and actually covered round well when RB although seen him better but lots of potential.  Soady was head and shoulders above anyone else and never put a foot wrong and was as perplexed as everyone else when he was subbed.  

Perhaps he was being rested so that he can travel with the first team for Friday's match.

• Hmmm 1

40 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Thought our u23's are a pure reflection of the 1st team, slow, slow and slower with endless iverpassing. By my uncultured eye Barney Soady was very good, Duncan Ideho stuck to his task well, I doubt the rest will make it at championship level

That’s the beauty of kids, they improve a lot. Lloyd Kelly, Semenyo, Reid and Bryan are just some of the players in the past who some said wouldn’t make it at this level 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I find it most bizarre that with all the names bandied around for a first team valley up, soady's is never one of them. Today is not a one off performance from what I've seen

Ipswich, clear way of playing, broke the lines….a typical u23 team and a pretty way of playing.

We are a generally a collection of players relying on individuals to spark us.  That’s a bit unfair (hence why I said generally), but I thought one of our recent games showed coherence as a team I hadn’t normally seen.

We play into the front players too readily.  We don’t play through the midfield often enough.  I certainly don’t think we over-pass, I don’t think we pass enough (besides amongst the defenders).

Edited by Davefevs

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Was surprised he was shown the door - felt he was worth a go.

I thought he had the requirement of pace and power / athleticism…but it’s always tough to judge ability level.  I guess the fact that he’s at Eastleigh might show they were correct.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he had the requirement of pace and power / athleticism…but it’s always tough to judge ability level.  I guess the fact that he’s at Eastleigh might show they were correct.

This is the crux, isn’t it?

No one can yet name a youngster we have released who has gone on to play at our current level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ipswich, clear way of playing, broke the lines….a typical u23 team and a pretty way of playing.

We are a generally a collection of players relying on individuals to spark us.  That’s a bit unfair (hence why I said generally), but I thought one of our recent games showed coherence as a team I hadn’t normally seen.

We play into the front players too readily.  We don’t play through the midfield often enough.

Same applies to the first team.  A consequence of playing a back 3, wing backs and 3 up front.  Means there are only 2 central midfielders and therefore there’s no chance of playing through midfield.

Everything is rushed.  We either hit long balls or try and play through the channels at warp factor 10.  No wonder we constantly cough up possession.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Malago said:

Same applies to the first team.  A consequence of playing a back 3, wing backs and 3 up front.  Means there are only 2 central midfielders and therefore there’s no chance of playing through midfield.

Everything is rushed.  We either hit long balls or try and play through the channels at warp factor 10.  No wonder we constantly cough up possession.

Other teams play that way though.

The number of times Ipswich passed into a marked player who turned it around the corner / passed first time on the angle to beat our press / break the lines was too often.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The issue is LB there is no pathway as last year we had JD, Pring and Nurse and Soady has two of them in front.  Shame as both are decent and wouldn’t surprise me if both stepped back to come forward like many previously released pros although concede @GrahamCpoint that not necessarily here.  Guess we can’t keep everyone and can be a ruthless business.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

How was Tanner? 

Was ok and better than last week but he was dreadful against Watford.  Played RCB in the 3 and certainly didn’t stand out and passing was careless on occasions but I’ll be amazed if he was considered ready for Easter games. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is the crux, isn’t it?

No one can yet name a youngster we have released who has gone on to play at our current level.

Maybe not championship division but we released a centre mid who got taken by Palace to play in their Cat 1 academy at 23’s level 

Just now, Lrrr said:

Maybe not championship division but we released a centre mid who got taken by Palace to play in their Cat 1 academy at 23’s level 

Saw that & he might be the exception but still a long way to go before he actually plays, isn’t there?

Not saying he won’t, of course.

Surely the Coaching of both the first  team and the Academy needs some serious attention?  I appreciate that I Am lacking in coaching knowledge at a Professional level.......but surely we are not getting the best out of our players?  It needs a shake up, with some fresh ideas, and some new young blood introduced, perhaps looking abroad might work, as long it's not SL doing the interviews?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Surely the Coaching of both the first  team and the Academy needs some serious attention?  I appreciate that I Am lacking in coaching knowledge at a Professional level.......but surely we are not getting the best out of our players?  It needs a shake up, with some fresh ideas, and some new young blood introduced, perhaps looking abroad might work, as long it's not SL doing the interviews?

I mean the Under 23s have hardly had a bad season to be fair... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, !james said:

I mean the Under 23s have hardly had a bad season to be fair... 

Top of the table going into this game whilst losing plenty of eligible players to the first team is pretty awful, to be fair ?

• Like 1