IGNORED

Mike Gibson - Where does he rank in your all time top City goalkeepers?

My nearest to Gibbo is Tony Cook. Whether Cook or Gibson is number one is difficult to say. Both were so consistent over a ten year period that I won't make a choice.

PS. They may, in some peoples opinions, not be the most talented keepers since early 1950's. For example Jan Muller, but I base my choices on players who had a decent portion of their career with City. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

The keeper when I first started going as a kid. The thing he used to do with the crossbar when the team ran out towards the East End as I stood behind the net clinging to the railings endeared him to me so, for me, the best.

Watch the clip on twitter to hear him talking about that…

• Robin 1

48 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My nearest to Gibbo is Tony Cook. Whether Cook or Gibson is number one is difficult to say. Both were so consistent over a ten year period that I won't make a choice.

PS. They may, in some peoples opinions, not be the most talented keepers since early 1950's. For example Jan Muller, but I base my choices on players who had a decent portion of their career with City. 

I'd love to have a Jan Moller type keeper now. Huge guy who totally dominated his penalty area.

Otherwise Gibson would be my number one.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

The keeper when I first started going as a kid. The thing he used to do with the crossbar when the team ran out towards the East End as I stood behind the net clinging to the railings endeared him to me so, for me, the best.

Same here. Real rapport with the fans.

Agree with the comments about his bravery. 

I can only add one trivia note. Occasionally he wore a blue top instead of the standard green of that era. My heart sank when he did that. We always lost. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

I'd love to have a Jan Moller type keeper now. Huge guy who totally dominated his penalty area.

Otherwise Gibson would be my number one.

Moller for me.

John Shaw was the first City keeper I saw, I was too young for Gibson, or Cashley.

Really liked Keith Waugh too, and in recent years Niki Maenpaa.  Only saw Basso a couple of times, and Welch was decent too.

But Moller no1.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Loved Jan Moller, but in more recent times Sieb Dysktra (albeit he was only on loan) was very good as well.

Strange really when you consider the promotion teams of the last 45+ years, that the keepers haven't been more of the standout players.

Basso always got a lot of press, but for me with him it was more about personality; than actual skill levels.

Edited by NcnsBcfc

10 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Same for me, Gibbo, Gibbo.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HomerRed said:

Same here. Real rapport with the fans.

Agree with the comments about his bravery. 

I can only add one trivia note. Occasionally he wore a blue top instead of the standard green of that era. My heart sank when he did that. We always lost. 

@HomerRed

In those days, the keepers were only allowed to wear four colours.

GREEN; which was the standard because only one side in the League wore green shirts - Plymouth Argyle.

RED / BLUE / WHITE; White was never seen until Peter Shilton wore it for Leicester City in the early 1970's.

So when any side wearing RED played against Argyle, the only one used was BLUE

Also in those far off times, in FA Cup matches, both sides, in the case of a colour clash, had to change shirt colours. Many teams used white shirts as their second colour, so clubs tossed a coin to be able to use white shirts. The losers had to find another colour.

In the 1950's it happened three times with City.

1954 at home to Rotherham and Accrington Stanley 1958, away and the reply at home. For those games City wore Rovers Blue/White Quarters.

In 1959 against Blackpool home and replay away aginst Blackpool, a set of kit from Cardiff City

Nobody got uptight about City wearing blue shirts. City's change colours were normally White but in the early 1950's they used BLUE as first change for League games. Both City and Rovers had reserve teams in the Football Combination and the Western League. Rovers Western League side wore RED and White quarters. I never saw their First or Combination teams play so don't know if they wore white as a change or the red/white quarters.

Here endeth the Prehistoric history lesson!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Moller for me.

John Shaw was the first City keeper I saw, I was too young for Gibson, or Cashley.

Really liked Keith Waugh too, and in recent years Niki Maenpaa.  Only saw Basso a couple of times, and Welch was decent too.

But Moller no1.

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I did see a Cashley a few times though.

I also rarely saw Basso and a few of the times I did he made mistakes that cost goals but I know he was a favourite with many.

Jan Moller was, along with Mick Hartford, a beacon of light in a dark time. Sadly for us neither player stayed for long.

A shout out for John Shaw who was with us through promotion to the top and 3 relegations to the bottom. No wonder his hair fell out.

• Robin 1

11 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

That’s one of my first and is a lasting memory of watching City, the team running out and was he going to do it? “Gibbo, Gibbo….. Gibbo Gibbo Gibbo!”

If it had been raining, as much water would come off the goal posts and net as the Alan Walsh shot which hit the post against Forest! ?

Wonderful memories! 

• Like 1

Great to see all the praise for Moller who only played 48 times for us when we were in an awful spell but is rightly remembered as being top notch.

I go all the way back to every keeper post Gibson, so Cashley onwards & despite his short spell with us would still pick Moller as the best, you don’t play in a European Cup final (when it was a proper competition) by luck.

Think the criticism of Basso is harsh, he was a very different type of goalkeeper (Swedes & Brazilians play football very differently) but he was an inspirational figure.

Cashley was brilliant in the promotion season but found the top flight a struggle, indeed Shaw had a far better time of it there.

Like Fevs I really liked Maenpaa but his injury record wasn’t the best.

I’d probably go Moller, Cashley, Shaw as my top 3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@HomerRed

In those days, the keepers were only allowed to wear four colours.

GREEN; which was the standard because only one side in the League wore green shirts - Plymouth Argyle.

RED / BLUE / WHITE; White was never seen until Peter Shilton wore it for Leicester City in the early 1970's.

So when any side wearing RED played against Argyle, the only one used was BLUE

Also in those far off times, in FA Cup matches, both sides, in the case of a colour clash, had to change shirt colours. Many teams used white shirts as their second colour, so clubs tossed a coin to be able to use white shirts. The losers had to find another colour.

In the 1950's it happened three times with City.

1954 at home to Rotherham and Accrington Stanley 1958, away and the reply at home. For those games City wore Rovers Blue/White Quarters.

In 1959 against Blackpool home and replay away aginst Blackpool, a set of kit from Cardiff City

Nobody got uptight about City wearing blue shirts. City's change colours were normally White but in the early 1950's they used BLUE as first change for League games. Both City and Rovers had reserve teams in the Football Combination and the Western League. Rovers Western League side wore RED and White quarters. I never saw their First or Combination teams play so don't know if they wore white as a change or the red/white quarters.

Here endeth the Prehistoric history lesson!

Loved reading that, and it's made me think of a couple of questions:

- In the 70's when I was growing up, the keeper shirts always seemed to be green or yellow. Was Yellow another option back then?

- I knew that City borrowed the Rovers kit for a few games, but has it happened the other way around? Have Rovers every played in City's kit?

• Like 1