IGNORED

Mike Gibson - Where does he rank in your all time top City goalkeepers?

Had it not have been for injuries that robbed us of his services I suspect that Billy Mercer might have proved our best. Of those that I saw that played a reasonable number of games I'd go for a top 6  in order of Moller, Gibson, Basso, Maanpaa, Cashley and Shaw. 

Gibbo was the 1st keeper I saw and rapport with the fans and his bravery at the feet of forwards was inspiring. The only mistake I can recall to memory was the Frank Worthington shot he let squirm under his body for a Huddersfield win en route to their promotion to the 1st Division. 

Basso was the keeper I thought improved most in his time with us, particularly his kicking, something which Frankie Fielding never managed. 

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

Loved reading that, and it's made me think of a couple of questions:

- In the 70's when I was growing up, the keeper shirts always seemed to be green or yellow. Was Yellow another option back then?

- I knew that City borrowed the Rovers kit for a few games, but has it happened the other way around? Have Rovers every played in City's kit?

I believe Mansfield once borrowed Rovers' away kit ?.

On the subject of yellow goalkeepers' shirts, I seem to recall the late, great Gary Sprake, who played for Leeds and threw the ball in to his own net against Liverpool, used to wear a yellow shirt when playing for Wales.

7 hours ago, beaverface said:

- In the 70's when I was growing up, the keeper shirts always seemed to be green or yellow. Was Yellow another option back then?

- I knew that City borrowed the Rovers kit for a few games, but has it happened the other way around? Have Rovers every played in City's kit?

Yellow used to be reserved for international matches, not sure when the rules changed

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down , especially short ones 

We’ve had about 30 keepers better than Bo

?

NO.  Bob Anderson. Over 100 appearances in 1950s!

How short are football fans’ memories compared to cricket fans

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It was also said Gibson had one mistake per game in him.  I don’t think that is a criticism though!

For me Anderson is tops

Bob Anderson was the first GK I saw when I started watching City. I was only about 8 but he seemed about 7 ft tall. My earliest memories are of him and Tony Cook in goal. Proper footballs in those days too, especially when wet!!  Gibbo probably my No.1 though.

11 hours ago, beaverface said:

The seventies was the beginning of relaxing these rules. In the 1950 and 1960 decades, only the international goalkeepers wore Yellow.

As for whether Rovers used City kit, I am not aware they did but maybe they did. Any visiting Gas know?

On 13/04/2022 at 01:11, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:
Mike Gibson - Where does he rank in your all time top City goalkeepers?

It's very close between Mile Gibson and Jan Moller as best all time goalkeeper. Gibby was a tremendous keeper but his kicking wasn't the best. He could barely reach the half way line from a goal kick and a lot less when kicking into the wind.

I would therefore give Moller the edge because he didn't have any weaknesses. For those who haven't seen him, he was a giant of a goalkeeper and really intimidated forwards in one-on-one situations.

On 13/04/2022 at 00:07, Davefevs said:

Moller for me.

John Shaw was the first City keeper I saw, I was too young for Gibson, or Cashley.

Really liked Keith Waugh too, and in recent years Niki Maenpaa.  Only saw Basso a couple of times, and Welch was decent too.

But Moller no1.

Moller, Waugh and Maenpaa in that order for me.

21 hours ago, 2015 said:

What about Goalkeeper back ups we've had?
Chris Weale, Mike Stowell, Stuart Naylor, Ronnie Sinclair, Luke Steele, Dean Gerken how would they rank as back ups? At least 2 or 3 of them had memorable moments in a City shirt

None of them come close to Dave Richards. 

Never conceded a goal for us, and won the title playing a key role. City legend in my eyes

17 hours ago, marmite said:

Proper footballs in those days too, especially when wet!!  Gibbo probably my No.1 though.

I remember vaguely, back in the 1960s when I was aged about 5 or 6, going for a walk in Eastville Park one rainy afternoon with my father, where a men’s football match was being played.

The match ball was kicked out and rolled in my direction.

My natural reaction was to run to kick the ball back, but, despite kicking with all my might, the ball was so hard it barely moved and I started crying as my foot hurt so much.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2022 at 00:07, Davefevs said:

Moller for me.

John Shaw was the first City keeper I saw, I was too young for Gibson, or Cashley.

Really liked Keith Waugh too, and in recent years Niki Maenpaa.  Only saw Basso a couple of times, and Welch was decent too.

But Moller no1.

For me he was way before my time never seen him play so cant judge, but Keith Welch I always liked he was my first keeper.

On 13/04/2022 at 11:52, Davefevs said:

Not Frank Fielding ???

Frank gave me one of my best recent'ish games of football I liked him.  2-1 away to the posh Al-Abd got sent off like a tosser Frank he saved everything.