IGNORED

Club captain

Robbored

Listening to Nige after the dismal showing against a 10 men Posh he reckoned that City lacked “personalities” amongst other things.

To me one of the main roles of the on pitch captain is to galvanise and motivate his team mates as well encourage the younger less experienced lads and with Bentley tucked away in goal he’s not able to fulfil that role for sometimes lengthy periods of the game.

Would it not be a better option to appoint an outfielder, preferably a midfielder to do the job? Possibly James or Williams both of whom are experienced in Championship?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Listening to Nige after the dismal showing against a 10 men Posh he reckoned that City lacked “personalities” amongst other things.

To me one of the main roles of the on pitch captain is to galvanise and motivate his team mates as well encourage the younger less experienced lads and with Bentley tucked away in goal he’s not able to fulfil that role for sometimes lengthy periods of the game.

Would it not be a better option to appoint an outfielder, preferably a midfielder to do the job? Possibly James or Williams both of whom are experienced in Championship?

They probably wont play half the games be out injured ??

Edited by RobintheRed Red

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Very surprised that it wasn’t James all along, realistically it couldn’t be Williams, he’s started 11 games for us of the 87 we have played since he’s been here.

Klose is the only other possibility for me.

James has started 26 of 41games and Klose is only been here a few months and will be gone in a few more, we lack a leader and a midfield

Andi seems to have taken on the role, every game he s screaming at the Ref. I don’t think he has ever been booked for it either so it appears he is getting his point across, not that it does us much good.

When he was officially the Captain when Bentley was out he played some of his best football for us. As someone says, he is Captain without the armband.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Both not regular due to fitness

11 minutes ago, Henry said:

I’d prefer Andy James. 

Matty king is better

nige goes on about the club being passive, and lacking leaders, well hes been here for basically 1.5 seasons, whats he done about it? as one of the most senior people in the club he should have come in, made us hard to beat and set us up properly yet we are being booed off and our fans chant we are embarrassing!

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, gl2 said:

James has started 26 of 41games and Klose is only been here a few months and will be gone in a few more, we lack a leader and a midfield

I know how many games James has played, thanks, since arriving Klose has a 100% availability record, so although I would pick James, he would be the obvious stand in, an experienced central defender who captained Norwich.

Happy to bet you that Klose is still here next season.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Has to be Weimann as vocal & certainly leads by example

Good points mate, the other thing is his favour is it wouldn’t be passed around the team because his ACL injury apart, the bloke is also always available to play.

Nothing against Bentley but I have found the captaincy decision one of NP’s stranger ones, I know people can cite Kasper Schmeichel but never been a fan of a goalkeeper doing it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

He was saying we lack leaders and personalities back in the summer. The fact we still havent got them lies firmly with  Pearson for failing to bring at least one in. Its like saying we desperately need a goalkeeper or a winger, then not sign one. He's just throwing the team under the bus again.

Does someone really have to explain, yet again, the constraints under which last summer's transfer business was done and the fact that this summer might just be the manager's first real opportunity to re-shape the squad - even that coming with the caveat that the necessary changes are all dependant on players leaving first?????? Do they? Do they really need to explain all that, yet again?????????? 

You can lead a horse with no name to water but you can't make it drink.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

18 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

He was saying we lack leaders and personalities back in the summer. The fact we still havent got them lies firmly with  Pearson for failing to bring at least one in. Its like saying we desperately need a goalkeeper or a winger, then not sign one. He's just throwing the team under the bus again.

What captains were available in the summer on a free?

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The only potential issue is that if AW was captain would that added responsibility detract from his game? 

It wouldn’t change him in anyway as he already plays and behaves like a captain.  Your either vocal or your not and he is irrespective of an armband

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Captain is largely ceremonial these days, deals with fines etc

In terms of leaders, we have lots, but if their playing to instructions then they have to do that to stay in the team. 

Blood, guts and thunder is actually a rubbish motivational tool and passion doesn't always show that way either. 

I hear this a lot, but is it true? Are there any articles, or places where this idea comes from? Genuinely interested. 

Just now, Rebounder said:

I hear this a lot, but is it true? Are there any articles, or places where this idea comes from? Genuinely interested. 

Bentley was interviewed by 20Man the other week, pretty much confirmed it.

Peter Crouch podcast too.

As others have said, there is no restriction to showing leadership if you don’t have the armband.

• Thanks 1