IGNORED

On This Day 2015

Port Said Red

https://youtu.be/wu4aAteLWGc

When you consider the relevant positions of the teams and what was at stake, surely this was one of the best performances ever by a City team and for any team at that level.

So often teams needing to win to obtain promotion exhibit nerves and stumble across the line, but this group were at it from the off.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 12
  • Robin 2

40 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

A manager who deserved more than he got. Followed by a manager who got more than he deserved. 

And here we are. 

I disagree with both statements but I posted this to cheer people up, not to rake over the coals of a long dead argument.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

A manager who deserved more than he got. Followed by a manager who got more than he deserved. 

And here we are. 

You had to didn’t you? ?

What a squad, what a manager. 

Probably the best away day I’ve had following City. 

Also, is that video only available in 360p? Shocking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

Can’t help when I think about the 2014-2015 season how we totally ****** up our return to the championship by going for players way out of our league and not just adding to our squad sensibly. Our greatest momentum we’ve ever had ****** up the Bristol city way. 

I disagree

Our momentum into the Championship , with that trim and talented squad , was the hottest it’s ever been 

Burt and SCs recruitment was fantastic , even the loanees and the plan to bring in some quality to add to that squad was IMO absolutely the right one

McGuire and Gray were not unrealistic at that point in their careers , and it was IMO the right plan to maintain the momentum

SL has made two massive mistakes , amongst many , during his ownership , in not backing managers at the right time

#1 Not backing GJ post Plymouth ( I would have backed GJ and told the players if they wanted out , they could do go )

#2 Not recognising the job SC had done , and his and KBs record on recruitment , right before his eyes , and the momentum and golden opportunity we had

It was a time , particularly for a ‘intelligent businessman’ , to put aside any personality differences and back , and ride , on the back of what SC was doing - It was time for Bristol City to show some ambition and push the boat out 

We actually have dabble with ‘pushing the boat out’ at times , but regularly the wrong times

When there was a shining bright ‘right time’ we didn’t and ****** up.

Ive said on many occasions , the **** up and breakdown of relations with SC , and the subsequent appointment of LJ as a Personal Project , (And the gradual stall and subsequent decline to our current state)  rather than a astute footballing one , was

The missed opportunity of an era

For SL , The Club , and for all of us fans

• Like 11
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 1

22 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

Can’t help when I think about the 2014-2015 season how we totally ****** up our return to the championship by going for players way out of our league and not just adding to our squad sensibly. Our greatest momentum we’ve ever had ****** up the Bristol city way. 

Out of interest, who?

The only one I can think of is Dwight Gayle.

Gray and Maguire weren’t unrealistic, they were allegedly done deals.

That season we signed PL Baker, L.Moore on loan.  We signed Fredericks from PL. 

Later in the season we signed Tomlin and Odemwingie on loan.

We had momentum.  Those signings showed the others that didn’t happen weren’t unrealistic. 

• Like 4

A team that was more than the sum of it's parts.

Players where signed to fit the system, 

Dynamic and detailed coaching.

There was an actual game plan and style of play.

Motivated players enjoying their jobs.

Entertaining/attacking football.

The stuff that dreams are made of.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, who?

The only one I can think of is Dwight Gayle.

Gray and Maguire weren’t unrealistic, they were allegedly done deals.

That season we signed PL Baker, L.Moore on loan.  We signed Fredericks from PL. 

Later in the season we signed Tomlin and Odemwingie on loan.

We had momentum.  Those signings showed the others that didn’t happen weren’t unrealistic. 

Jesse Lingard presumably?

Obvious in hindsight but it started to go badly wrong in the following close season, apart from signing Kodjia no one else arrived until the season was upon us & rumours of interference by Pelling (who left not long after) in done deals, was a disaster.

I like Cotts a lot, wish he had been better backed but would also acknowledge that his record at Championship level across a number of clubs isn’t great.

The point about Wade Elliott is spot on, next time someone says don’t sign a bloke well into his 30s, just mention him & Wilbs, one size definitely doesn’t fit all.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

And here we are. 

Absolutely, well said. League Cup run aside SL’s nepotism and ignorance has seen us decline ever since. 

We can’t change the past of course but always feels like a sliding doors moment, albeit consequential. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I disagree

Our momentum into the Championship , with that trim and talented squad , was the hottest it’s ever been 

Burt and SCs recruitment was fantastic , even the loanees and the plan to bring in some quality to add to that squad was IMO absolutely the right one

McGuire and Gray were not unrealistic at that point in their careers , and it was IMO the right plan to maintain the momentum

SL has made two massive mistakes , amongst many , during his ownership , in not backing managers at the right time

#1 Not backing GJ post Plymouth ( I would have backed GJ and told the players if they wanted out , they could do go )

#2 Not recognising the job SC had done , and his and KBs record on recruitment , right before his eyes , and the momentum and golden opportunity we had

It was a time , particularly for a ‘intelligent businessman’ , to put aside any personality differences and back , and ride , on the back of what SC was doing - It was time for Bristol City to show some ambition and push the boat out 

We actually have dabble with ‘pushing the boat out’ at times , but regularly the wrong times

Ive said on many occasions , the **** up and breakdown of relations with SC , and the subsequent appointment of LJ as a Personal Project , (And the gradual stall and subsequent decline to our current state)  rather than a astute footballing one , was

Totally agree.

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, Waconda said:

A team that was more than the sum of it's parts.

Players where signed to fit the system, 

Dynamic and detailed coaching.

There was an actual game plan and style of play.

Motivated players enjoying their jobs.

Entertaining/attacking football.

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Great at set pieces!

I disagree

Outstanding post, nails it for me on every point. 

In appointing Pearson after the Holden shit show I thought SL has finally learnt his lesson. We shall see, though it’d never surprise me if he sacked NP and brought LJ back in. 

• Robin 1

…. SL has made two massive mistakes , amongst many , during his ownership , in not backing managers at the right time

That’s any interest suggestion that’s not raised very often, if at all. I suppose it depends on how many players wanted GL out. If it was one or two, SL could have supported GJ. If was most of the team it would have been difficult to keep the manager and sell a lot of players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s any interest suggestion that’s not raised very often, if at all. I suppose it depends on how many players wanted GL out. If it was one or two, SL could have supported GJ. If was most of the team it would have been difficult to keep the manager and sell a lot of players. 

Get rid of the main rebels , club ‘legends’ or not , and others would have got back in their box 

Whether GJ could have rebuilt and kicked on again is debatable tbf , but he deserved the backing and chance to do so IMHO

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

Once you lose the players you are finished, cannot come back from that. They have to believe in what you are doing and why.

That's why -  "respect needs to be earned and not just given"

The days of shouting players into compliance are long gone.

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I disagree

Excellent post. 

One thing I would contest, and I said at the time, was that as good as GJ was, I thought he’d reached his ceiling at the top end of the Championship. He struggled to manage players like Trundle, Noble, Sno and Hartley.

Once we’d got that high, I thought he was increasingly out of his depth. Not taking anything away from the job he did getting us there, though. Those were memorable times. 

4 minutes ago, tin said:

Excellent post. 

One thing I would contest, and I said at the time, was that as good as GJ was, I thought he’d reached his ceiling at the top end of the Championship. He struggled to manage players like Trundle, Noble, Sno and Hartley.

Once we’d got that high, I thought he was increasingly out of his depth. Not taking anything away from the job he did getting us there, though. Those were memorable times. 

Thanks Tin

And I do agree that there is a decent argument that he had reached his ceiling , and wasn’t necessarily a good fit for ‘upper market players ‘

I still think he had earned the right to / deserved the chance to continue , art that time , we weren’t in a relegation battle .

Fans getting ahead of themselves and expectations did him no favours 

I think he would have been better served to have relied on recruitment from L1 & 2 , hungry players on their way up.

• Like 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Loved that squad and loved that manager but at the end of the day they were taking us back down to L1. Far closer to relegation then we ever were under Johnson, Holden or Pearson

I will raise and remind , for the umpteenth time

Johnsons first full season , despite the various signings , and Tammy goals

We got safe in the penultimate game with a surprise away win at promoted BHA

So this,  regular posted myth , needs to be put to bed

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Absolutely, well said. League Cup run aside SL’s nepotism and ignorance has seen us decline ever since. 

We can’t change the past of course but always feels like a sliding doors moment, albeit consequential. 

How can you say it has seen us decline from that moment- we finished consistently higher than we ever had in the past 40 years!

I don't understand how you can argue with fact - the league table does not lie!

Yes we are pants now, and the football may not always have been so exciting - but we are at a different level now - what did you expect that we carry on beating teams 6-0 in the championship?

We all look back at times in the past as being better, the Wilson era was one of the most exciting, but you cannot argue with the positions we have finished in the past 5 years or so.

Edited by bbew