IGNORED

On This Day 2015

Port Said Red

36 minutes ago, bbew said:

How can you say it has seen us decline from that moment- we finished consistently higher than we ever had in the past 40 years!

I don't understand how you can argue with fact - the league table does not lie!

Yes we are pants now, and the football may not always have been so exciting - but we are at a different level now - what did you expect that we carry on beating teams 6-0 in the championship?

We all look back at times in the past as being better, the Wilson era was one of the most exciting, but you cannot argue with the positions we have finished in the past 5 years or so.

Suppose it depends if you factor in resources or not. 

I can’t afford a Ferrari, but if you gave me £500k I damn sure could. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbew said:

How can you say it has seen us decline from that moment- we finished consistently higher than we ever had in the past 40 years!

I don't understand how you can argue with fact - the league table does not lie!

Yes we are pants now, and the football may not always have been so exciting - but we are at a different level now - what did you expect that we carry on beating teams 6-0 in the championship?

We all look back at times in the past as being better, the Wilson era was one of the most exciting, but you cannot argue with the positions we have finished in the past 5 years or so.

How can I say it? Because it’s my opinion, just as you have yours. 

You are clearly correct with the league positions, although the best finish over the last 40 years was in 2007/2008 under GJ, not under LJ, Holden or for that matter NP. Apart from league cup run I can’t really say I’ve enjoyed things that much since our promotion. 

LJ had periods of good spells, but also presided over the worst run in our history, and was backed like no other manager before or since. To what @Fordy62 was alluding to it would have been great for GJ or especially SC to have had the same backing. 

I’ve never understood the Wilson great football opinion personally. All I remember that tenure for is the LDV Final win, Mansfield away and a period of huge underachievement and disappointment. 

9 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I disagree

Our momentum into the Championship , with that trim and talented squad , was the hottest it’s ever been 

Burt and SCs recruitment was fantastic , even the loanees and the plan to bring in some quality to add to that squad was IMO absolutely the right one

McGuire and Gray were not unrealistic at that point in their careers , and it was IMO the right plan to maintain the momentum

SL has made two massive mistakes , amongst many , during his ownership , in not backing managers at the right time

#1 Not backing GJ post Plymouth ( I would have backed GJ and told the players if they wanted out , they could do go )

#2 Not recognising the job SC had done , and his and KBs record on recruitment , right before his eyes , and the momentum and golden opportunity we had

It was a time , particularly for a ‘intelligent businessman’ , to put aside any personality differences and back , and ride , on the back of what SC was doing - It was time for Bristol City to show some ambition and push the boat out 

We actually have dabble with ‘pushing the boat out’ at times , but regularly the wrong times

When there was a shining bright ‘right time’ we didn’t and ****** up.

Ive said on many occasions , the **** up and breakdown of relations with SC , and the subsequent appointment of LJ as a Personal Project , (And the gradual stall and subsequent decline to our current state)  rather than a astute footballing one , was

The missed opportunity of an era

For SL , The Club , and for all of us fans

Jamie Murphy was also a done deal before his contract offer was revised and he subsequently turned us down for Brighton

• Thanks 2

Right up there with United at home for the best City nights I’ve ever witnessed. Made a last minute decision to go at around 3:30pm after managing to finish work a little earlier that day!

The best decision I’ve ever made. What a night, what a season, what a team and gaffer to be proud of. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

You had to didn’t you? ?

What a squad, what a manager. 

Probably the best away day I’ve had following City. 

Also, is that video only available in 360p? Shocking.

There is a better quality version on you tube in 720p, look down the right hand side of the page when clicking on the original link.

Edited by pillred
Add comment

These one past manager v another past manager v another past manager etc etc posts are so tedious. They are full of hypotheticals and tell us nothing about our present dilemma. 

Like every City fan I loved the 14/15 season. I wish my dad had been alive to see it. But lets not pretend City weren't a well-resourced club in L1 that year, and let's equally not pretend we are well-resourced by Championship standards 21/22. 

Our present travails, having to rely on multiple youth players in the second tier, hoping we don't get a points deduction, make most previous seasons look rosy.  But there's nothing rosy about L1. Playing clubs with mainly <10K attendances. 

I like nostalgia about great matches. I just don't like pointless "if only" arguments. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

You had to didn’t you? ?

What a squad, what a manager. 

Probably the best away day I’ve had following City. 

Also, is that video only available in 360p? Shocking.

Type in on you tube Bristol City Vs Bradford City (A) 2015 it's in 720p.

I had a bottle of red bubbly on ice for weeks prior to this game, which I popped open in the wee hours of a freezing cold day in the North East of China! Usually with City, we do things the hard way and scrape over the the line, but this team was different. We were so organised, hard working, calm and collected and just head and shoulders above everybody else in that division. There was zero doubt in my mind from about February that we were going to comfortably be Champions. We’re unlikely to ever see a City team dominate a division like that ever again.

Edited by Wanderingred

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

These one past manager v another past manager v another past manager etc etc posts are so tedious. They are full of hypotheticals and tell us nothing about our present dilemma. 

Like every City fan I loved the 14/15 season. I wish my dad had been alive to see it. But lets not pretend City weren't a well-resourced club in L1 that year, and let's equally not pretend we are well-resourced by Championship standards 21/22. 

Our present travails, having to rely on multiple youth players in the second tier, hoping we don't get a points deduction, make most previous seasons look rosy.  But there's nothing rosy about L1. Playing clubs with mainly <10K attendances. 

I like nostalgia about great matches. I just don't like pointless "if only" arguments. 

How much did we spend that season?

People keep saying we bankrolled the league, but we only spent what we got for Sam Baldock and also released some high earners in the summer in Louis Carey, Sam Baldock, Marvin Elliott and Stephen Pearson.

It was a very good summer of recruitment, and seemed to follow a plan.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

How much did we spend that season?

People keep saying we bankrolled the league, but we only spent what we got for Sam Baldock and also released some high earners in the summer in Louis Carey, Sam Baldock, Marvin Elliott and Stephen Pearson.

It was a very good summer of recruitment, and seemed to follow a plan.

The very fact that we had a summer of recruitment then, is something we may not have this year. ?