IGNORED

Con Sullivan: 1928-2022

glynriley

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

@Ivorguy - you would have seen him play?

I saw him play but don't remember how many times. Visits to Ashton Gate were infrequent as school games on Saturday afternoon and all midweek games in the afternoon as no floodlights used for competitive matches til 1957.

As part of the transfer fee, Arsenal played a friendly with us at the Gate in March 1954. 28991 were there to see City win 3-1.Not Arsenal's strongest side.

The next season, we won the Third South title with a record 70 points and wearing red shirts with white sleeves, Arsenal style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As posted on the Supporters Club & Trust social media:

Con Sullivan's funeral will be taking place at 12:00pm on Friday 20th May at South Bristol Crematorium, Bridgwater Road, Bedminster Down, Bristol, BS13 7AS and you are welcome to attend.

Following the service, a wake will be held at Redcatch Community Garden, Broadwalk, Redcatch Park, Knowle, Bristol, BS4 2RD - near to his home.

Con was Bristol City’s oldest living former player when he passed away aged 93 on 14th April.

He had a remarkable goal-keeping career from the Bristol Downs League to City in May 1949 then on to Arsenal in February 1954 having made 73 City appearances.

With thanks to the family of Con Sullivan for letting us share these details.

On 14/04/2022 at 21:53, Red Shadow said:

Yes, if you enlarge the image and follow the strands of netting, the ball is definitely under the roof of the net and definitely inside the side of the net. Yet another City admin cock up?

I beg to differ, the netting is between the ball and the goal to my eyes.

image.png.37ddcb44bedd6a735442ae94deeeb760.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

Looks that way to me, but could it be the ball pressing down on the top of the net?

The strands of roof netting look like they're going over the top of the ball though. Looks a goal to me but I guess different people see different things in the same picture.