IGNORED

Stoke City away match day thread

Considering how depressing it has been lately can’t help feeling a bit more thrilled about that late win than an end-of-season dead rubber deserves.

Well done to all the City fans who travelled and sang their hearts out from start to finish. Never heard a squeak out of the oatcake scoffing peasants.

Hopefully that town brings us Reds further joy on Easter Monday… 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I Saw all but the 1st half hour.

Quire enjoyed it- good solid away win. Thought we put some good moves together in possession and quite solid out of it. Strong save by Bentley at 0-0 but I don't recall all that many moments of massive danger.

Talking of Semenyo, some things very good but some rusty moments too. I'm not worried. Could have squared/crossed to Martin but no worries.

Ref a bit fussy, seemed to lean towards Stoke if anything.

Near enough a full 90 for Williams, has to be a good sign.

DaSilva- did he mean it! I don't really mind either way but it looked good for sure.

Safety achieved. There a few  signs that improvement could come next year but am thinking more likely 2023/24 could be the big seachange. 

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Stats show Stoke had more efforts, but other than one really good save from Bentley, actually thought we were in the main pretty comfortable. Main frustration was our poor decisions in some great positions, so delighted to see that one go in. Love me a 1-0 away win.

Stats say they had more shots 12 but only 3 (a paltry 25%) were on target. We had only 6 shots but 4 (67%) were on target. That's a more effective effort. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Still don't understand when people don't rate DaSilva, the lads got so much talent. I know that's not a common thing but very much deserved.

Totally agree, he is quality...........but the one thing Jay cannot do is shoot?   So that is 100% a cross.........but who cares?

11 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Superb play from Antoine to set up JDaS for the goal. A few on here would have had him off the field. He’s the first name on my team sheet because he can lift us from the ordinary.

He couldn’t trap a bag of cement in the first half and the shot was, what it was! However he was much better second half. I guess he’s playing himself back in. 

Talking of playing themselves back in Williams and James put in excellent shifts. If we can keep them out of the treatment room we will start getting a return on investment there!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Totally agree, he is quality...........but the one thing Jay cannot do is shoot?   So that is 100% a cross.........but who cares?

It was a cross, I was already looking to see who was going to get on the end of it and it was in! Jay looked stunned and the great celebration afterwards with Williams picking him up and the joy on their faces shows what a popular player he is. Happy Days!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Second, tap in at Huddersfield last season.

A bit of end product over the past two months (see below), one of my criticisms of him in the past.

Worth listening to Nige’s BBCRB interview just now.

CC3CB9FE-F59D-45C1-A2F4-1E07B8932E92.thumb.jpeg.0b7a000948a6a335f4c6d25b57e2219f.jpeg

Pearson talked of frank discussions in December, but he’s worked his way back in…and he has been one of our most consistent performers in recent games.

We do need goals and assists from all over the pitch.  Atkinson’s couple of goals have breathed confidence into his game.

• Like 1
Just now, Davefevs said:

A bit of end product over the past two months (see below), one of my criticisms of him in the past.

Worth listening to Nige’s BBCRB interview just now.

CC3CB9FE-F59D-45C1-A2F4-1E07B8932E92.thumb.jpeg.0b7a000948a6a335f4c6d25b57e2219f.jpeg

Pearson talked of frank discussions in December, but he’s worked his way back in…and he has been one of our most consistent performers in recent games.

We do need goals and assists from all over the pitch.  Atkinson’s couple of goals have breathed confidence into his game.

We know his flaws, he struggles against diagonal balls & aerially he’s always going to be up against it.

Technically he’s very good though, excellent first touch & usually a very good distributor of the ball.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We know his flaws, he struggles against diagonal balls & aerially he’s always going to be up against it.

Technically he’s very good though, excellent first touch & usually a very good distributor of the ball.

The irony is Graham his first touch from the Semenyo pass was poor and forced him a couple of yards wider, which created the angle for the cross to the back post.  I think if he’d taken the ball in his stride he would have hit it low across the six yard line.

But that’s football for you.

Edited by Malago