IGNORED

Worst city centre back I’ve seen-Sean Dyche?

HappyClapper

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Julian Watts

Correct answer. Heywood also a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Puckle_red said:

Dave Partridge, Matt Heywood. 

As was Partridge. Richard Dryden back in the day was pretty bang average too.

We’ve also had some very good ones though - Taylor, Carey, Bryant, Webster, Caulker, (second season on) Flint, Bikey. 

Sean Dyche was a very good centre back, albeit not for us. He played his debut whilst still not fully recovered from an injury & City fans got on his back.

morale is an important feature of football players. If we had got behind him & not got on his back, he would have done far better.

liam Fontaine is another centre back who lost form & confidence (it started after  he nearly went to Southampton on a large fee but had an injury so it was called off). A fine player for us in his prime but with fans  lacking in support he lost confidence.

it’s often said that fans who pay to watch are entitled to cheer  or boo as they feel appropriate- but we can be cruel sometimes, occasionally affecting players in the long term.

Dyche was excellent be for he came to us - he was excellent after he left. His time here wasn’t a success, but was in part due to us supporters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Dave Thompson 

Gets my vote, he was absolutely shit.

Denis Smith swapped Andy May for him as well, tidy midfielder.

When Smith bleated about getting sacked bringing in this utter **** & Brian Mitchell was why, pal.

Also Richard Dryden, not only shit but gas, just total rubbish.

McKop wasn’t a CB, a left sided player, LB or left midfield (he was shite too).

5 minutes ago, nick jones of hereford said:

Sean Dyche was a very good centre back, albeit not for us. He played his debut whilst still not fully recovered from an injury & City fans got on his back.

morale is an important feature of football players. If we had got behind him & not got on his back, he would have done far better.

liam Fontaine is another centre back who lost form & confidence (it started after  he nearly went to Southampton on a large fee but had an injury so it was called off). A fine player for us in his prime but with fans  lacking in support he lost confidence.

it’s often said that fans who pay to watch are entitled to cheer  or boo as they feel appropriate- but we can be cruel sometimes, occasionally affecting players in the long term.

Dyche was excellent be for he came to us - he was excellent after he left. His time here wasn’t a success, but was in part due to us supporters.

Dyche was also scathing of the medical treatment he received whilst at City, saying it was the worst he received in his entire career.

After us he then had a decent spell at Millwall, so as bad as he was for us (& he was) maybe he had a point?

3 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

To expand it slightly, my worst ever City back 4:

Nicky Shorey - Left Back

Richard Dryden - CB

Julian Watts - CB

Gerard Lavin - Right Back

Sorry, but no worst ever back 4 can be complete without Marvin Harriott. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

I appreciate he had injuries during his time with us but I’m struggling to think of too many who were worse. Any thoughts?

Julian Watts alongside him was worse. They both played in a season though when we missed Tommy D protecting in front of them. Gus 'Chicken' Caesar Salad was awful. Tasteless with no bite. 

3 hours ago, nick jones of hereford said:

I have it on very good advice that one of the reasons Dyche was bought was to try and shake up the dressing room. The usual City stuff, drinking, smoking, whining etc. 

8 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Adam El-Abd 

I’d managed to erase him from my memory. Just been re-installed, hard to decide between him and Watts.

No way Forbes, he was an absolute legend in Div 4, and made a massive difference when he signed. And let’s not forget, in those days we had a very limited budget. And once, the People gave both Phillipson and Masters a mark of 7. Clearly not paying attention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

I appreciate he had injuries during his time with us but I’m struggling to think of too many who were worse. Any thoughts?

My early days of watching City and he was always go down in memory as one of the worst. He can't have been much worse than low ebb Fontaine though surely? To be fair to Fontaine he was decent at one time...

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Gets my vote, he was absolutely shit.

Denis Smith swapped Andy May for him as well, tidy midfielder.

When Smith bleated about getting sacked bringing in this utter **** & Brian Mitchell was why, pal.

Also Richard Dryden, not only shit but gas, just total rubbish.

McKop wasn’t a CB, a left sided player, LB or left midfield (he was shite too).

Mitchell!  He was proper rubbish!