IGNORED

Congratulations Nige

Numero Uno

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But that depends on whether you expect us to play as disciplined as this each game, take into account the opposition, etc…especially when you compare to the “average performance level” this season.  Of course players are capable of better, but the fact is, they rarely have…at least not in enough numbers each week.  Too often dragged down by two, three, four “4 or 5s out of 10”.  And that’s not been the youngsters either.  If we played like today all season (on average) I’d think differently.  We haven’t though.  It is however something to build from.

Isn't it Pearson's job to get them to perform better every week? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, tin said:

And if we hadn’t conceded so many goals in stoppage time, we’d be in the play-offs. Talking about ifs and buts is pointless IMO. We are where we are. 

As the saying goes if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need for tinkers. 

Don't give a stuff about how close it would still be without Derby/Reading points deductions. They cheated, got found out and paid the penalty so no sympathy here. 

• Like 1

Happy with survival as thought this year would be tough.

Even happier that we actually look like we can score goals which wasn't the case under LJ's last season and under Holden. Also, they both had money to spend and we were still no threat in attack

Sort the defence out and get a little bit more strength in depth and it' certainly could be looking a bit more positive.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mr Sno said:

3 points with 4 games left isn't huge, no matter which way you look at it.

Doesn’t matter, you play to what you need. If the deductions weren’t there everything would have been different.

No guarantee Derby put up such a strong fight, Rooney may have walked etc

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Doesn’t matter, you play to what you need. If the deductions weren’t there everything would have been different.

No guarantee Derby put up such a strong fight, Rooney may have walked etc

You can’t do what ifs tbh. Cardiff wouldn’t have made seven changes today against Hull.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

I think there are a fair few managers who would have got relegated with this squad to be fair.

It think it’s 40% squad, 60% mentality.

To take the lead as many times as Fulham, but lose it more than anyone else shows a glaring issue.

It’s obvious  to Nige and he needs to ensure he can correct this over the summer.

There are positives to take and attitudes which have been tested. Dasilva, Scott, Weimann and Semenyo have been some of the highlights of the season within the squad.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Waiting for the raft of Podcasts this weekend or as we’ve won & are safe, reckon there won’t be any? ?

Wrong on that score @GrahamC - our review is out now, not that you listen these days.

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/JD-wonder-strike-gives-city-all-three-points-in-a-gritty-display-at-stoke/

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Isn't it Pearson's job to get them to perform better every week? 

A squad worse than Lutons according to our resident fanalyst and pretend scout though.

So what could the Manager possibly do ?

Very good second half yesterday making fools of the posters who perpetuate the myth that this squad is uncoachable and not good enough for this Division.

Some good work has happened on the training pitch since last Saturdays debacle. 100% better and should be the standard.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

@Waconda

Be interested to hear your negative spin on yesterday 

I think you stand accused of the same offence: a knee-jerk reaction after one result.

To scrape a 1-0 away win against a team with nothing to play for was extremely pleasing yesterday, and especially given the clean sheet, but it hardly glosses over some of the awful performances recently, especially Peterborough.  The issue is whether Pearson is the right man to take us forward.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

In how JD has performed since his return to the side. Absolutely 

Spot on,

2 talented players and Wells were frozen out, 1 worked hard claimed his place, one continues to waste his talent like so many before him and Wells still mainly sits on the bench

49 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think you stand accused of the same offence: a knee-jerk reaction after one result.

To scrape a 1-0 away win against a team with nothing to play for was extremely pleasing yesterday, and especially given the clean sheet, but it hardly glosses over some of the awful performances recently, especially Peterborough.  The issue is whether Pearson is the right man to take us forward.

The issue is who can you bring in to get more out of the expensive flops we have at the club,

The same players who haven't  performed for 3 managers.....

It can't be the manager that's the problem, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

And you stand accused of still not grasping the mess we’re in . It’s a achievement staying up with the squad we have. You can only really judge nige when he’s has the squad he wants . He’s been working with one hand tied behind his back. You constantly fail to see this though 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

And you stand accused of still not grasping the mess we’re in . It’s a achievement staying up with the squad we have. You can only really judge nige when he’s has the squad he wants . He’s been working with one hand tied behind his back. You constantly fail to see this though 

When we win “we scrape a win against a team with nothing to play for” yet if Sheffield United with something to play for do us tomorrow The Dolman Pragmatist will lose his/her shit……no agenda obviously, just a fair minded discussion on whether Nige is right for job??

• Like 3

On one level, the points deductions help, how could they not.

Otoh, these clubs were docked points for a reason, to not have done so would have been allowing them to overspend or creatively structure their expenditure and gain an illegitimate advantage in so doing.

The deductions serve two purposes.

These are to not only punish the offending club(s) but uphold the integrity of the League by making sure that the compliant majority are not disadvantaged. Likewise -12 for administration, both punishment and deterrence on one hand, upholding rights on the other.

There was actually an argument in 1st Birmingham v EFL case I quite liked. One of Birmingham's defences was that as no Sporting Advantage was gained, no points should be docked (£37m loss, £37m wage bill and 3 year overspend of £9m to the period of June 2018..finished 21st!? Last day survival).

Trying it on and rightly dismissed. Firstly the mere act of overspending is sufficent for points but of more importance was the rebuttal which contained the counterfactual of what if all clubs could overspend to that extent.

This applies here. If we could have overspent to the level of Derby or Reading, NP or whoever would have had more to work with, less players to be sold perhaps and we (or any other compliant club) would have had a stronger chance on the pitch.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I liked Mr Pearson’s interview and the away end support post match!

My opinion is that we are building a team that can challenge next season or the season after. We may have to sell a player or two on the way to stay on the right side of the EFL and maybe get a little wedge for a new signing. We will also be dipping into the OOC market which is obvious! Also never forget the talent coming through. This is where The High Performance Center  comes into its own!!

However you only had to see the players, manager and supporters at the end to know we could be on the cusp of a very decent team! 

The support yesterday was magnificent and from my living room in the colonies was as loud as you could get. The team and the supporters obviously fed off each other (shame about the train thread, but I’ll brush over that).

It was clear those that went were not only behind the team but also behind the manager. A nice touch during Mr Pearson’s interview you had a few fellas shouting we are behind you Nigel which was obviously truly appreciated. 

Changes for Monday! The lads coming in have a bench mark to achieve. And to be frank so do the home supporters!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We have nothing to play for either. And I would point out that Peterborough very much do. 

On 15/04/2022 at 17:36, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's an interesting one. Credit to NP certainly and as for 3 year plan well I'd lean more towards 4 year plan given the FFP uncertainty.

I don't think our squad necessarily a relegation one when all consistently fit but although improved on last season, how many times just one one example have we been able to field from the off a James-Williams-Massengo trio.

Overall done fine. Cut wage bill and other player costs, been blooding youth and yes the regular medium term injuries still persist. More of a consistency of level at home from Barnsley onwards and when the level is alright results often follow.

Loads still to be done of course but very much NP in.

I have said before on here it's 5 seasons before we can expect to challenge seriously for promotion.

• Like 1