IGNORED

Klose. Next season.

DT The Optimist

As season comes to a conclusion what are the thoughts re Klose…. Should he be nailed down ASAP for a deal, or should NP hang fire and see what else is available….

My own thoughts are he’s a class act and former captain of Norwich with promotions on his cv it’s a no brainier to try and keep him, and to think he was a free out of contract player…

• Like 6

Nailed on to get an offer, I think.

Arrived having not had a club in 6 months yet hasn’t missed a game since being called up against Preston.

Seems to have an excellent attitude & presumably on far lower wages than at the peak of his career.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Nailed on to get an offer, I think.

Arrived having not had a club in 6 months yet hasn’t missed a game since being called up against Preston.

Seems to have an excellent attitude & presumably on far lower wages than at the peak of his career.

Agree and hope your right re offer, I see no reason not to offer him a two year deal?  Clearly enjoyed his time here and spoken well about Bristol…cannot see many lot better than Timm Klose to be freebies?

• Like 1

I’d definitely hope to see him here next season. I think he’s done well, and also seems to have a great knack of interacting with fans in a way that seems very natural.

Last week he was seemed to be apologising for the inept display and got a few claps in amongst all the boos.

Yesterday he got a few laughs too, leaving the pitch last and pretending that he thought the booing of the officials was aimed at him.

Just seems genuine and down to earth. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I’m also in the ‘sign him up’ camp. A calming, organising presence. Remember how Webster improved Kalas’ game?  Well, Rob Atkinson starting to look very good alongside Klose. 

I noticed yesterday how Atkinson brought the ball out defence and he immediately reminded me of Webster. I’m not sure that’s due to Klose being alongside him tho.

I could because Nige has encouraged him to be more aggressive and proactive both in defending but in possession as well and we saw glimpses of that at Stoke yesterday.

As for Klose - much depends on what happens this summer but a further extension of another season would be a sensible option imo.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Agree and hope your right re offer, I see no reason not to offer him a two year deal?  Clearly enjoyed his time here and spoken well about Bristol…cannot see many lot better than Timm Klose to be freebies?

I’d offer a year with a clause for another one if he plays a certain number of games, just like Chris Martin has just activated.

He’ll be 34 in May & even though he’s done well, we hold all the cards in any negotiation.

His performances have been good enough to earn a new contract. 

Plus, Nige will see the bigger picture of what Klose can offer to the squad with his experience.

In particular the likes of Atkinson and Cundy, who look much more assured when playing alongside him.

I would still expect 1/2 new centre backs to arrive in the summer. 2 being if Kalas should depart. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’d offer a year with a clause for another one if he plays a certain number of games, just like Chris Martin has just activated.

He’ll be 34 in May & even though he’s done well, we hold all the cards in any negotiation.

Of course much will depend on what other irons we have in the fire this summer, but agree with what you and others say.

We have seen with Klose, what we’ve seen with Curtis Davies, Phil Jagielka, etc, that a top pro can play well into their 30s.  He looks to be a player who doesn’t rely on pace, nor does he get exposed when dragged into wide areas of the pitch.

I would have no qualms about seeing him get another year.  He’s taken a trial to earn a 5 month deal, so must think we’re “ok” as a club.

One of those rarities that passes the ball for his fellow CBs to move onto.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Keep Klose and Cundy, sell Kalas.

Why not keep all three?

Several times over the past couple of seasons we’ve been short of CBs after just one or two injuries/suspensions.

Kalas will be back to the top class player he is when he’s had a rest and got his injury fixed. 

I’m assuming Baker will retire (and probably Vyner leave)….and that will leave us needing all four (inc Atkinson) and give us a good mix of experience and youth in there. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think he’s key to us playing 4-3-3 when Tanner is fit again.  Another year for sure but he may have better offers elsewhere now he’s proved his fitness? 

I’d definitely keep Klose - as others have said good defender and looks most likely to help those around him, more vocal than Kalas. Can see Atkinson and Cundy developing faster alongside Klose than Kalas. For financial reasons, think Kalas is pretty high on the list to go, he’s a good player, been to the Euros and a decent age, so should carry value, but not sure he’s got a higher ceiling and think we can cope without him. Maybe we keep Idehen as well, BCTV mentioned him in glowing terms yesterday and probably wouldn’t break the bank. Would aim to keep Scott and Semenyo at all costs, HNM would be the other I’d be prepared to lose, should be able to get value, last year of contract, again, think we can cope without him. 

4-3-3 is tricky, probably has a higher performance ceiling than 5-3-2/4-4-2, but also requires better players? For a struggling team, yesterday showed the benefits of 5-3-2, ie more natural cover across the pitch, eg LCB/RCB able to push wide, 2 CMs screening the defence, 2 WBs able to create width when we had the ball. Think 4-3-3 would require rabbits out of the hat in the transfer market, eg we would need competition for Pring at LB (don’t think Dasilva is a plausible option in a 4 man defence) and Tanner looked more like a RWB than RB to me, but as a min would require competition. And where does Dasilva play? Think, along with Scott, he’s our best player with the ball at his feet, particularly in tight spaces. Maybe he can be converted into a left side of 3 up front, terrorising defences with Semenyo and Weimann! 4-3-3 would allow Scott back into a more central role, which would be a big positive. An interesting summer ahead. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Why not keep all three?

Several times over the past couple of seasons we’ve been short of CBs after just one or two injuries/suspensions.

Kalas will be back to the top class player he is when he’s had a rest and got his injury fixed. 

I’m assuming Baker will retire (and probably Vyner leave)….and that will leave us needing all four (inc Atkinson) and give us a good mix of experience and youth in there. 

I think the answer is FFP, unlike Wells who can’t get a regular start & Palmer who is completely out of contention, Kalas is the only one of the 3 highest earners Pearson would keep if he was on more sustainable wages, so if an opportunity arises this summer to move him on, I think we’ll take it.

If it doesn’t then your scenario could well pan out because NP has already shown he’ll pick Kalas if available.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Of course much will depend on what other irons we have in the fire this summer, but agree with what you and others say.

We have seen with Klose, what we’ve seen with Curtis Davies, Phil Jagielka, etc, that a top pro can play well into their 30s.  He looks to be a player who doesn’t rely on pace, nor does he get exposed when dragged into wide areas of the pitch.

I would have no qualms about seeing him get another year.  He’s taken a trial to earn a 5 month deal, so must think we’re “ok” as a club.

One of those rarities that passes the ball for his fellow CBs to move onto.

I wouldn't assume Cundy is staying.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Keep for me. Lowish wages and a year’s contract. Considering our circumstances it makes perfect sense. Oh and he’s a good player, done well 

He may only be on ‘ lowish ‘ wages for this season. He will have proved himself apte for Championship football with us and may have suitors in the summer. 
I would like him to stay but only if it keeps within our wages structure. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Why not keep all three?

For me I would be tempted to try and move Kalas on to save some wages - add into that selling Moore too, that would save us what 30k in wages? 

I would be tempted to keep Vyner as very much a spare part to fill in when desperate.

Edited by Mr Sno
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

For me I would be tempted to try and move Kalas on to save some wages - add into that selling Moore too, that would save us what 30k in wages? 

I would be tempted to keep Vyner as very much a spare part to fill in when desperate.

Vyner needs to go. I reckon Ipswich will have him 

I’m clearly in the minority then as wouldn’t offer Klose a contract.  All about opinions but for me gets rolled too easily and not as dominant in the air as I thought he would be.  Playing better centrally of a 3 as the spare man and in no way am I saying he’s rubbish but 34 now and think there could be better out there.  I 100% think he will sign a deal for what it’s worth.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I’m clearly in the minority then as wouldn’t offer Klose a contract.  All about opinions but for me gets rolled too easily and not as dominant in the air as I thought he would be.  Playing better centrally of a 3 as the spare man and in no way am I saying he’s rubbish but 34 now and think there could be better out there.  I 100% think he will sign a deal for what it’s worth.

Much of my thinking is because I think Kalas might be off….and that I think he has been key to the intro of Cundy and the re-found form and confidence of Atkinson.

But plenty of dynamics going on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Sno said:

I'd forgotten about Moore! 

Personally, agree with you about Vyner - but it seems pretty clear that NP doesn't rate him, and also that ZV is very much a confidence player, so I really don't see that working out and it's probably best for Zak as much as anyone that he move on.

I'm just worried that we end up with just one experienced player - and one whose not been without injury problems in the past. If we could bring in similar pedigree and experience to Kalas cheaper then maybe - but at least he's proven. 

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I'd forgotten about Moore! 

Personally, agree with you about Vyner - but it seems pretty clear that NP doesn't rate him, and also that ZV is very much a confidence player, so I really don't see that working out and it's probably best for Zak as much as anyone that he move on.

I'm just worried that we end up with just one experienced player - and one whose not been without injury problems in the past. If we could bring in similar pedigree and experience to Kalas cheaper then maybe - but at least he's proven. 

I would be happy next season with 4 cbs of Klose Atkinson Baker and one other, happy to see Kalas Cundy Moore and Vyner leave. Considering the money made both in sales and wages we should be able to get an established centre half, assuming that that are any takes for the above.

• Confused 1