IGNORED

Small Targets - End of the Season Motivation

Port Said Red

First of all we are finally mathematically safe so even the most pessimistic of our supporter's can breathe deeply again. I seem to remember posting at the end of February when we had 40 points, that we were already safe, it's going to be close but I still think that will be true.

Nigel said he wanted a strong finish to the season and that's understandable but difficult to achieve with players that will have one eye on the break, individual targets can help with motivation but we need some as a team too 

From here we could look at: -

60 points - The most ambitious, will mean winning all the remaining games.

Reducing our terrible goal difference/some more clean sheets - Something that would increase confidence throughout the club.

15th place - looking at the way the table has split, that would put us at the top of the bottom group of teams.

Finishing above Cardiff - A bit of local ambition admittedly but one the supporter's will enjoy.

I would also like to see a few young players getting minutes, but that comes under the individual targets.

• Like 4
  • Robin 2

9 hours ago, TomF said:

Back to back wins would be nice

Winning a game by more than one goal.

Dont think we’ve managed either all season? 

Hoping we may get back to back wins on Monday, Sheff Utds form has been a bit patchy of late, be nice to do some damage to their top 6 aspirations ?

I’d like to see a couple games with more young players mixed in. Like a back 4 of Tanner Cundy Atkinson Pring. A front of Semenyo Conway Martin/weimann. Just rotate a few in a bit more. Gets them some minutes and takes some minutes off the older lads. Hopefully end the season with everyone fit for preseason even though a couple months away. 

Apart from that agree with some of the others. A couple clean sheets. Hopefully good performances. Don’t think it would bode well for them to play out the season thinking what is the point. NP won’t want that and for the most part don’t think it’ll happen. Just takes 1-2 to ruin it though. Hopefully avoid that. 

9 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I wonder if it’s worth giving lots of minutes to those we hope to move on, ‘put them in the window’ and all that. Vyner and Wells spring to mind.

That could work against us if there any scouts watching. Better to say Vyner would definitely be playing because he is a class player and the team needs him, unfortunately he has a slight strain so isn't available.

• Like 2

Dean Ashton gave a very accurate on Quest - 

The players will totally relax after achieving safety, booking holidays, avoiding injury and going through the motions etc.

Mentally switch off after intense season.

Not what fans want to hear but that is real life.

Our manager has already said he wanted the season over last week, so most will follow his example.

What it might mean some high scoring/exciting games but as for targets they are for fans only at this point.

We haven’t finished the season at all well recently, last season I think it was just 3 points from the last 10 games which was horrendous. The year before 9 points.

This season even just wining our last 2 home games will get us to 14 points from our final 10 games which although not promotion form it’s certainly an improvement and will give all of us more confidence going into next season.

On 16/04/2022 at 10:21, TomF said:

1 from 2 so far.

On 16/04/2022 at 22:39, cityexile said:

AW to score 20+ goals.

Finishing ‘safe’ without relying on others points deductions. Just to shut some up.

Winning two in a row.

Finishing above Cardiff.

Two from four, for you and on for a full house. :)

• Like 2

On 16/04/2022 at 09:11, Port Said Red said:

First of all we are finally mathematically safe so even the most pessimistic of our supporter's can breathe deeply again. I seem to remember posting at the end of February when we had 40 points, that we were already safe, it's going to be close but I still think that will be true.

Nigel said he wanted a strong finish to the season and that's understandable but difficult to achieve with players that will have one eye on the break, individual targets can help with motivation but we need some as a team too 

From here we could look at: -

60 points - The most ambitious, will mean winning all the remaining games.

Reducing our terrible goal difference/some more clean sheets - Something that would increase confidence throughout the club.

15th place - looking at the way the table has split, that would put us at the top of the bottom group of teams.

Finishing above Cardiff - A bit of local ambition admittedly but one the supporter's will enjoy.

I would also like to see a few young players getting minutes, but that comes under the individual targets.

On 16/04/2022 at 10:21, TomF said:

On 16/04/2022 at 22:39, cityexile said:

AW to score 20+ goals.

Finishing ‘safe’ without relying on others points deductions. Just to shut some up.

Winning two in a row.

Finishing above Cardiff.

So both Tom and Cityexile got their wishes. I got some of mine and have been proven right about the 40 points. 

Also it's worth pointing out that as it stands we would finish above Derby and Reading with or without points deductions. Although potentially results next week could ruin that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So both Tom and Cityexile got their wishes. I got some of mine and have been proven right about the 40 points. 

Also it's worth pointing out that as it stands we would finish above Derby and Reading with or without points deductions. Although potentially results next week could ruin that.

No, Derby would be on the same points as us, but with a better goal difference.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Thank you yes, perhaps truer to say that we would be comfortably safe even without the points deductions.

Although some, no doubt, will just point out how lucky we were that there were 6 teams worse than us in the division.

• Like 3

Huddersfield maybe making some changes in preparation for the playoffs.

One to consider might be...although by no means terrible if it doesn't happen, still a tough away game and decent side.

1. Win- 3 in a row and totally new ground for this team.
  2. Clean sheet- back to back wins with clean sheets.
  3. If at all possible Semenyo scores two so he can also hit the double double (10 goals and assists).

Martin would need 4 assists to achieve his 10 of each so that seems implausible tbh.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Huddersfield maybe making some changes in preparation for the playoffs.

One to consider might be...although by no means terrible if it doesn't happen, still a tough away game and decent side.

1. Win- 3 in a row and totally new ground for this team.
  2. Clean sheet- back to back wins with clean sheets.
  3. If at all possible Semenyo scores two so he can also hit the double double (10 goals and assists).

Martin would need 4 assists to achieve his 10 of each so that seems implausible tbh.

Obviously happy with any of those! Unbeaten would also make it our best unbeaten run of the season on six, our current five matching our run early in the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Obviously happy with any of those! Unbeaten would also make it our best unbeaten run of the season on six, our current five matching our run early in the season.

Was trying to think back earlier what our longest run was- and yeah that is motivation on its own too, we could actually achieve a few on Saturday but any would be good.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 20:43, Malago said:

Our results against the top 6, as is at the moment, is miserable to say the least. 3 points from a possible 33.   An opportunity next week against a play off side to see how we’ve progressed.

That is not great but I would rather we picked up points from the teams we “should” be picking up points against than we were a team that turned up against the top six and underperformed against the teams around us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That is not great but I would rather we picked up points from the teams we “should” be picking up points against than we were a team that turned up against the top six and underperformed against the teams around us. 

image.thumb.png.384cee15bad11effe28a1c343377c4ce.png 

bottom 7 - P14 W9 D2 L3 PTS29

….for me that is why we’ve never been in relegation trouble all season either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.thumb.png.384cee15bad11effe28a1c343377c4ce.png 

bottom 7 - P14 W9 D2 L3 PTS29

….for me that is why we’ve never been in relegation trouble all season either.

Agreed.  But if we’re going to progress up the table, we need to start taking points off the top teams, as well has beating the teams below us.