IGNORED

Snookered

MC RISK77

My father in law has been a huge fan for years, treasurer in the local Bristol league, player and referee, so I have maintained an interest as it makes a good discussion point now he is in his 80s.

Ironically he actually finds it less interesting now because "they are all so good, it's a bit boring". :)

I shall watch a few frames for reference though, as I am seeing him Tuesday. :)

4 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Used to play as a lad at the old Paragon snooker hall above a shop on North Street. That had some characters.

Don't have time to get invested in the whole world championship but get more involved as the final approaches usually on the May bank holiday.

I used to go in there mid-90s - one of the blokes that ran it wore glasses that were tied round his head with string to keep them on I recall

21 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I used to go in there mid-90s - one of the blokes that ran it wore glasses that were tied round his head with string to keep them on I recall

You used to enter through a small smoked filled room where a group of older blokes would be playing cards. There was a character who would occasionally appear whilst you were playing and in true Del Boy style place a suitcase on the table, open it and ask if you wanted anything inside. 

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else have a dislike of Robertson? - fantastic player and probably the most in form going into the tournament and he will take some stopping, however something about him that makes my teeth itch.

He looks like a Gerry Anderson marionette, something out of  Thunderbirds.

18 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Used to play as a lad at the old Paragon snooker hall above a shop on North Street. That had some characters.

Don't have time to get invested in the whole world championship but get more involved as the final approaches usually on the May bank holiday.

13 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

He was there all through the '80s as well. Their best table was the one by the door, so the older guys who wanted to play for money would try and kick us off it if we got there first.

He would come over and try to tell them off which was nice, but also a bit annoying as we knew that if we held out long enough they would give us anything up to a tenner to move. An hour of lights was only 60p so we could make a nice profit. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He was there all through the '80s as well. Their best table was the one by the door, so the older guys who wanted to play for money would try and kick us off it if we got there first.

He would come over and try to tell them off which was nice, but also a bit annoying as we knew that if we held out long enough they would give us anything up to a tenner to move. An hour of lights was only 60p so we could make a nice profit. :)

I used to dread that table as everyone who was waiting for a table would sit around it on those plastic seats watching my pathetic attempts at snooker :laugh:

• Like 1