IGNORED

Taylor Moore

DT The Optimist

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair comment, the more you look at it, the stranger it all becomes;

Signing Marley Watkins & Adelakun at the same time, who are basically the same player & then never using either of them.

Szmodics then Palmer both arriving in the same summer when we already had Paterson (who is a far superior version of this type to either of them) on our books, so we then loan him out to Derby.

Nagy arriving & Pack suddenly leaving on deadline day, the former not being an effective replacement for the latter.

How much LJ felt he had no say in all this I have no idea, but it just resembles a 7 year old in a sweet shop.

Absolutely spot on. Scatter gun. Anybody looking to defend the transfer policy of LJ and the slippery one, really hasn’t got a leg to stand on.  

60 odd signings, 2 success, maybe half a dozen to ten who did ok and we managed to recoup a decent fee. 

But on the whole pretty poor. The foreign experiment with Hegeler, Duric  etc was bad enough, but the losses racked up (£5m Fammy leaving for nowt) are pretty unforgivable. 

The worst thing is, the bloke(s) who allowed it to happen have done it before, and are still here. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Absolutely spot on. Scatter gun. Anybody looking to defend the transfer policy of LJ and the slippery one, really hasn’t got a leg to stand on.  

60 odd signings, 2 success, maybe half a dozen to ten who did ok and we managed to recoup a decent fee. 

But on the whole pretty poor. The foreign experiment with Hegeler, Duric  etc was bad enough, but the losses racked up (£5m Fammy leaving for nowt) are pretty unforgivable. 

The worst thing is, the bloke(s) who allowed it to happen have done it before, and are still here. 

One poster defended LJ on the basis that our saleable assets right now were acquired by him. Fantastic, ignore the losses, the likes of Engvall, Hegeler, Djuric, Diedhou (fantastic bloke but look at it objectively and a terrible signing overall).

Posters still swear blind that we are lucky to have the bloke that mismanaged all this, allowed it to happen and not only that but defended it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

When we signed him I thought that we might have a player on our hands, but when I watched him on loan at Cheltenham he was puffing at lower league level and I felt then that he wasn’t going to cut it at City. Then we gave him a new contract, along with Vyner who is another player that I feel won’t cut it at City. Interestingly both players seem to suffer with the same problem, poor positional play and switching off when marking an opponent which is guaranteed to lead to a defensive error. It’s a shame really and I cannot see us being able to recoup anywhere near the money we shelled out on the initial transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I remember getting pelters on here about 18 months ago for suggesting he wasn't fit for purpose...........people posting aubergine emoji's and shit like that. I'm no football genius but it stood out as clearly as night follows day that you cannot be as error prone as he is and be anywhere near good enough to play Championship football over a sustained period. He's no kid (unlike Scott who has the talent but has hit a rough patch that you totally accept and expect for that matter) and hasn't been for a number of seasons now. Lower league player all day long - another one of LJ's fantastic club in the bag signings.

Not long ago, Pearson used an interesting word when talking about the Academy and specifically defenders.

He said, whilst the Academy was producing some good players, he'd like to see a few "thugs" coming through.

Thugs!

Now I'm pretty sure he didn't mean that literally but rather as an indication of the sort of mentality, personality, character he'd like to see in the team, particularly our defenders.

Moore is the polar opposite of that. I've always said, he's the sort of nice, polite lad you hope your daughter brings home. He's son-in-law material. That's not what Pearson's looking for mentality wise - even before you consider a player's technical ability, what have they got between their ears?

This may also be why Cundy is getting a chance to prove his worth - Pearson likes his character, so he's giving the lad a chance to play some games and prove his worth. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I actually quite liked TM, think he had an excellent attitude and showed he could be a good footballer. It seemed when he started making some errors following being played out of position by LJ, then becoming some fans scape goat who were very quick to get on his back, I don't think mentally he could cope with it and confidence became shot.

Some players have thick skins, some players don't care, but in TM case I think he did care but the pressure of making errors in a game affected his performance to an extent where he was worrying about making the mistake before even did with a negative mindset, which then lead to an error

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not long ago, Pearson used an interesting word when talking about the Academy and specifically defenders.

He said, whilst the Academy was producing some good players, he'd like to see a few "thugs" coming through.

Thugs!

Now I'm pretty sure he didn't mean that literally but rather as an indication of the sort of mentality, personality, character he'd like to see in the team, particularly our defenders.

Moore is the polar opposite of that. I've always said, he's the sort of nice, polite lad you hope your daughter brings home. He's son-in-law material. That's not what Pearson's looking for mentality wise - even before you consider a player's technical ability, what have they got between their ears?

This may also be why Cundy is getting a chance to prove his worth - Pearson likes his character, so he's giving the lad a chance to play some games and prove his worth. 

Scott is a great example. Clearly not a thug but the kid has an edge about him that says “I’m better than these senior pro’s alongside me” which is why, notwithstanding a dip in form that he recognises himself, the kid is going places. Benarous has it too.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Scott is a great example. Clearly not a thug but the kid has an edge about him that says “I’m better than these senior pro’s alongside me” which is why, notwithstanding a dip in form that he recognises himself, the kid is going places. Benarous has it too.

It`s that little bit of arrogance with the skill to back it up. All the great players have it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thugs!

He’s used that phrase in describing both Kalas & Baker in the past too (he called Kalas “a sensitive thug”) & I do know he means it as a complement.

Remember him saying how amused Baker was when an opponent had to go off injured after his knee clashed with Baker’s head & last week was saying how Kalas gives everything he has in every challenge, which is why he is out now.

Remember LJ directly criticising Moore for not being prepared to get hurt in stopping Pitman score the winner against us for Ipswich, as you rightly say he doesn’t seem that type, whereas Cundy, for whom the jury is out ability wise, definitely is. 

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I actually quite liked TM, think he had an excellent attitude and showed he could be a good footballer. It seemed when he started making some errors following being played out of position by LJ, then becoming some fans scape goat who were very quick to get on his back, I don't think mentally he could cope with it and confidence became shot.

Some players have thick skins, some players don't care, but in TM case I think he did care but the pressure of making errors in a game affected his performance to an extent where he was worrying about making the mistake before even did with a negative mindset, which then lead to an error

Moore, to his credit, went on a “mentality” course a couple of close seasons ago (might’ve been during covid layoff), but not sure it has paid off.  At least he has tried to better himself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Moore, to his credit, went on a “mentality” course a couple of close seasons ago (might’ve been during covid layoff), but not sure it has paid off.  At least he has tried to better himself.

As well as taking boxing lessons and further strength conditioning as accepted he was too nice

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting, didn't know that. Fair play to him.

The fact he also had the nuts to accept (ask for?) reduced terms on a new contract because he wanted to stick around and prove himself, you have to wonder....

.... is he too clever to be a footballer? Certainly a Centre Half - they're a special breed ?

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was not aware of that, so makes me wonder if perhaps I am not far off the truth.

I play a lot of golf and its amazing how it affects you game when you start getting negative thoughts when you are stood over a short putt or have to hit the ball over a lake. That's when I am playing a game for fun, but add the pressure of thousands of fans and its how you make a living and hopefully fulfil your dreams, then that pressure may get very intense and be difficult to handle

47 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thugs!

This a very valid point and is another reason why i think Alex Scott will go on to achieve good things in the game. He's got a nasty streak and has collected quite a few bookings already. Taylor Moore just doesn't seem to have that nasty side.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s used that phrase in describing both Kalas & Baker in the past too (he called Kalas “a sensitive thug”) & I do know he means it as a complement.

Yes, the Kalas comments were in the same interview I'm thinking of, now you mention it.

It was also a classic example of what makes me despair about our local journalism.

As soon as Pearson used the word "thug" I thought - blimey! It just leapt out at you. 

It begged a follow up - "That's an interesting word to use, Nige. Can you expand on what you mean by thug?"

But the dull journo didn't react at all, of course, just pressed on with the next pre-prepared, obvious question.

It's difficult to make those interviews interesting, they mostly follow a predictable pattern, so missing - being oblivious to - the chance to ask something other than "Is Joe Williams fit this week" etc is plain dumb. Talk about missing an open goal. 

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

We all have different opinions but the numbers are facts, it doesn't include the big fee paid for Kelly during the MA/LJ period, there were some poor signings in that group but it's a fact that the players sold for quite a bit more than they cost, as for the ones still on our books we don't know what we'll get for them (COVID will have reduced their values) but they will have played a high number of games for us so that must be worth something, I'm just trying to take a balanced view

Yep, I have no problem with differing opinions, it's what keeps the forum alive.

I didn't count the Academy signings ( Kelly, Reid & Bryan) as Johnson & Ashton had little or no involvement.  As for the profit , I look at it the same way as Johnsons year on year Improvement . And I do try to be level headed & fair. The profit and improvement were small, and so I consider it lucky rather than good. While an improvement each year over 3 years was good, it was small and so I wasn't that impressed. Same with the profits. Eisa as an example, massively lucky to break even, Magnússon profit but didn't feel like making the most of things. If you get 50-100 games from a player then it changes your view. I do think that over their time, and seeing as it was the plan, recruitment over all was  poor. 

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

If you're talking about Lansdown, then that's harsh. If he doesn't back the manager he's wrong. He brought in Ashton, and trusted him as a football man and had his pants pulled down. Through all the right reasons he was wrong. 
Lansdown has been too good with letting us spend money, but that's where a DoF or CEO should be able to step in. The problem was.....

.................. Ashton

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

If you're talking about Lansdown, then that's harsh. If he doesn't back the manager he's wrong. He brought in Ashton, and trusted him as a football man and had his pants pulled down. Through all the right reasons he was wrong. 
Lansdown has been too good with letting us spend money, but that's where a DoF or CEO should be able to step in. The problem was.....

The buck stops at the top

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I know, that was part of my point. We bought a winger, an out and out winger , yet Johnson didn't play with wingers. Even then he provided  good number of assists and goals. If we had been playing with a system that suited him, we may well have got full value from him.  
All if's and but's, but that time we signed , or loaned about 6 wingers and never set up to play that way.

He was a ridiculously good player for us, 15 assists or something stupid in his last season at the club. It’s crazy we didn’t try and replace him.

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Does he? That’s something I feel he’s missing but more than happy to be convinced otherwise.

7 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I actually don’t think the fans have got on his back, if anything he’s been given an extended stay of execution. The fact that he was a “England international” bought him time, then he was slowly utilised and then PR wise he came across with good stock. We’ve really wanted him to exceed almost as if he’s one of our own. Unfortunately, he is nowhere near good enough as proved in failing to play in a league boy to dissimilar  from Brislington.  

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Undoubtedly Swiss was the problem, but as pointed out above, the Buck stops at the top.

This isn’t the first time we have had a period of austerity under SL. The fact he allows his employees to run up massive debts (is it 120% wages to turnover…?) is ******* criminal..

9 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

This is exactly what’s wrong with Vyner, bricking it last time out, scared to make a mistake

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

How much LJ felt he had no say in all this I have no idea, but it just resembles a 7 year old in a sweet shop.

It does beg the question of whether we were too harsh on LJ on that front. You could always argue that a manager should have total control and his inability to question or go against it could be a criticism, but we've no idea of what the internal setup is/was like.

The Watkins deal probably isn't as weird as it looks, didn't he play under LJ before? Szmodics also made sense, we needed someone else in that position to complement Paterson, but once we had him in then that makes the Palmer signing completely baffling, and his wages even more so.

I'd be intrigued to see what the squad looked like at the time of the Man Utd/Wolves games, and whether this was before or during our transfer binge. If you throw a ton of mismatched players at any manager, it is going to breed disharmony and additional pressure. Perhaps LJ could have been better for us without a certain other person upstairs...

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Remember him saying how amused Baker was when an opponent had to go off injured after his knee clashed with Baker’s head & last week was saying how Kalas gives everything he has in every challenge, which is why he is out now.

Remember LJ directly criticising Moore for not being prepared to get hurt in stopping Pitman score the winner against us for Ipswich, as you rightly say he doesn’t seem that type, whereas Cundy, for whom the jury is out ability wise, definitely is. 

whilst i agree with the basic sentiment (of needing some tough old center backs) Lets not forget how this forum reacted to Bakers now imfamous moments of madness, when he lunged in and got sent off / injured / gave away penalties.

thats the flip side of having a CD who puts himself about.

We need a Shuan Taylor/ Louis Carey/Biff type - who isn't scared of getting in there, but isn't a pyscho for the sake of it.

(Glen Humphreys anyone?)