IGNORED

Taylor Moore

DT The Optimist

14 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I strongly recommend people look at the line up for the Man Utd game  . 

From memory?

Steele

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan

Paterson

Reid

Right to left in terms of CB and CM I can't remember exactly but that was it wasn't it? Had that settled line up for a month or 2, thanks in part due to a load of injuries!

• Like 1

The thing about that slightly wielded together lineup is that though they weren't necessarily the best 11 at the club at that time, or the best in their respective position- and yes Fielding > Steele in general but that aside though they weren't as just described, it just worked very well tactically for a while. Enabled us to dominate central areas too.

After Flint, Magnússon, Bryan and Reid sold, a possible replication in 2018/19 might have looked like. Plus Fielding and Smith had long term injuries too iirc...

Maenpaa

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack ? Eliasson

Paterson

Weimann

With Smith out injured, who partners Pack centrally? Walsh, Morrell or Hegeler injuries permitting- and the latter had a lot of those in his time here!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Hearts aim to keep 3 English-based loan players next season".

Runs the headline in today's Edinburgh Evening News.

Brilliant! 

Read a little further....

"Robbie Nelson admitted he would like to retain striker Ellis Simms, defender Alex Cochineal and forward Ben Woodburn".

Which says it all. 

Ben Woodburn, was going to be the new Robbie Fowler wasn't he? He has had 4 loan spells have been less than productive although he is only 22 even now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Ben Woodburn, was going to be the new Robbie Fowler wasn't he? He has had 4 loan spells have been less than productive although he is only 22 even now.

Had loads of injuries, seems to have done for him.

I have seen enough of Taylor Moore to believe there is a very good player in there, and an intelligent and determined young man.  I have no idea why things have gone so badly wrong for him - a couple of years ago I really saw him as a future captain at City - but I hope that with the right guidance and support he can begin to fulfil his undoubted potential somewhere.

• Like 2

Taylor Moore’s a good guy and I’d like to see him succeed with us, but unfortunately his development has stalled and if he can’t make it in the SPL he’s got no chance of making it in the Championship.

I will never understand Ashton extending his deal on a rumoured £10k a week for no logical reason other than to try and earn a transfer fee. The same principle applies to Vyner. Neither are up to it at this level IMO. 

Good luck to them both as they shouldn’t have long-term futures here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I have seen enough of Taylor Moore to believe there is a very good player in there, and an intelligent and determined young man.  I have no idea why things have gone so badly wrong for him - a couple of years ago I really saw him as a future captain at City - but I hope that with the right guidance and support he can begin to fulfil his undoubted potential somewhere.

Yeah, I don’t think he’s a bad player either, capable of lots of good stuff….passes the ball well, but I think like several players, concentration / consistency is an issue, maybe a bit of naivety that an opponent might “want it” more and be prepared to “cheat” to get the ball.

I don’t go down the line of “he’s Lg1 at best” type stuff.  He’s played almost 50 times at this level, and at times has looked perfectly capable.  I think his best spell was alongside Ashley Williams, where I thought he really was coming on nicely.

It just might be time to move on.  Sounds like he feels the same way.  If he does, I wish him all the best.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I still wonder how good he might have been had he played constantly on the right, rather than on the left, where he was frequently asked to play to provide cover.

My thoughts exactly.
Him and Vyner seemed to suffer being moved around a lot more than some others have, and that's not a criticism some players will want to get used to a position. I never understood, with an experienced International in the team, they gave the new role to the virtual rookie, he never looked comfortable at LCB. Vyner even more so, RCB, RB, RWB, DMF. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I still wonder how good he might have been had he played constantly on the right, rather than on the left, where he was frequently asked to play to provide cover.

Been played exclusively on the right by Hearts & they don’t want him, so think there’s your answer.

Plus let’s not try to pretend games v St. Mirren, Ross County, Motherwell & Dundee, etc. are going to be remotely Championship standard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Been played exclusively on the right by Hearts & they don’t want him, so think there’s your answer.

Plus let’s not try to pretend games v St. Mirren, Ross County, Motherwell & Dundee, etc. are going to be remotely Championship standard.

And in the games he’s played against teams that probably are at Championship level (given Rangers’ performances in Europe and Celtic’s performances against Rangers), his record is P2, L2, GF 0, GA 7. Clearly he may have played brilliantly in both games, but if Hearts don’t want to keep him it’s probably further support for the argument that he’ll struggle at Championship level. Given Hearts are clearly 3rd best in Scotland, presumably the players they want to keep/acquire will be more Championship level to help challenge Celtic/Rangers, as they’re a long way ahead of the rest. 

Similar to Vyner there’s lots to like and, oddly, almost looks as if he’d do better at a higher level. Strong technically, maybe lacks the nastiness which only increases in importance lower down the leagues, where refs are poorer and no VAR to catch out untalented, but cynical players. However the big issue for both Zak and Taylor is, as loads have mentioned, concentration - it’s a pretty low standard of football where switching off doesn’t get caught out. If we were knocking up a spreadsheet for various qualities, the problem for both of them is that in the Championship you need all categories (say, technical skills, athleticism, mental strength, some other things…) to be a minimum 6 or 7, but whilst they may have some categories that are 8 or 9, those that are 3 or 4 will mean they won’t make it, whilst players who are less gifted in lots of ways, will.

Could see both of them doing better abroad, where technical skill probably has more emphasis, maybe Taylor will go full circle. 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve watched whenever Hearts have been on , and , well , he’s been simply awful 

Rabbit in the headlights a lot

He appears to have really bulked up and broadened in his top half and looks as if his body is out of sorts / sync 

Instead of concentrating on his ball ability it looks like he’s been advised or chosen to work on his body to increase physicality

Not sure what that’s all about and ironically he still tends to lose out physically , physicality is not just bulk but bravery and technique too 

From the outside I’d suggest he’s had bad advice / guidance in his player development

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He appears to have really bulked up and broadened in his top half and looks as if his body is out of sorts / sync 

Instead of concentrating on his ball ability it looks like he’s been advised or chosen to work on his body to increase physicality

I made that same point earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

And in the games he’s played against teams that probably are at Championship level (given Rangers’ performances in Europe and Celtic’s performances against Rangers), his record is P2, L2, GF 0, GA 7. Clearly he may have played brilliantly in both games, but if Hearts don’t want to keep him it’s probably further support for the argument that he’ll struggle at Championship level. Given Hearts are clearly 3rd best in Scotland, presumably the players they want to keep/acquire will be more Championship level to help challenge Celtic/Rangers, as they’re a long way ahead of the rest. 

14 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’ve watched whenever Hearts have been on , and , well , he’s been simply awful 

You are probably all correct, but my point was very much 'what if?'.

I was just wondering whether he might have improved had he been able to grow in to the role in his favoured position, i.e. on the right side of the central defence, rather than helping out in a position in which I think he looked ill suited.

Nevertheless, whatever his merits as a footballer, he remains ideal son-in-law material.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You are probably all correct, but my point was very much 'what if?'.

I was just wondering whether he might have improved had he been able to grow in to the role in his favoured position, i.e. on the right side of the central defence, rather than helping out in a position in which I think he looked ill suited.

Nevertheless, whatever his merits as a footballer, he remains ideal son-in-law material.

Think that’s a very fair challenge for both him and Zak (who I suspect is best suited to defensive mid) at City, concentration an issue for both, but must be easier to concentrate when you’re playing in a position that comes intuitively more easily to you. Argument against that for Taylor is @GrahamC  point that Hearts are playing him in his preferred position and still not pulling up trees. 

On 23/04/2022 at 13:11, Sheltons Army said:

From the outside I’d suggest he’s had bad advice / guidance in his player development

I do wonder about this bit too. Possibly from a different angle.

Loan to Blackpool was it Jan 2020? Thought he did okay but prone to an error in the 1st half of the season, was loaning him out e.g. strictly necessary?

Then the loan itself, could a loan to a more possession based League One side have been better suited- or even to an e.g. 2nd tier French or German side have been more fitting if loaned at all, given he had part of his education football wise here and part in Europe.

Alternatively, he stays and gets to play his favoured RCB position...

Moore Kalas Benkovic

Sort of suited to a higher line given age and profile, and Moore on one side, Benkovic on the other can carry it a bit. All history now but certain aspects I wonder about.

• Like 1