IGNORED

Sheffield United at home match day thread

Far too easy at the back in the first half, Sheffield United probably should’ve been up by a couple going into the break.

Really good turnaround in the second half, quality from Semenyo to set up the goal. Thought we looked much better in midfield today, thought Massengo in particular looked really good. Played his usual game and was crucial in us breaking quickly, you don’t get a quick turnover of the ball with James and Williams in the middle. They both need someone dynamic next to them, assuming Massengo leaves we need two players in that mould or next season could be dire.

Think Cundy is a real positive for next season assuming he stays. Looks comfortable at this level, be interested to see him in a back 4.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, grifty said:

The problem with James is that he drops in between the centre backs to pick up the ball, leaving HNM alone in the middle. As we've got 3 centre backs and two full backs who don't push on very far or wide, we've got 6 players behind the ball almost at all times.

Yep, and that was especially noticeable in the first half today. After half time we pushed up a bit and the CBs started to step forward more which gave us more presence in the middle of the pitch 

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

What on earth was Bentley doing? He was all over the place!!

He was rushing out against Stoke, sweeper/goalkeeper style. I imagine NP has asked him to play that way. Trouble is that it's not normal for him and he doesn't always pick the right moment - it will come though. At times put me in mind of playing with rush goalies as a kid...

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

Very impressed with today! Defo couldn’t tell the difference as to where the teams were in the table! Typical championship 

It was a good game just as the one at Stoke was. City never looked like losing either game. Seems as if Nige is getting his methods thru at long last.

This season is almost over and I’m really looking forward to the next campaign.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I agree, they are obviously the better team but with the right ball we look dangerous/have opportunities on the break

You wrote this just on h-t.  That was my overriding thought at the game at h-t too, just a bit more care over the final / key pass.  They were so square at the back, and no pace either.  As it transpired, we did improve our quality second half, pinched balls in midfield so we had that little bit extra time to find the right pass….and it made for an entertaining game.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It will be less in reality. 13K is inclusive of all season tickets, whether the holder actually turns up or doesn't. 13K is also about how many season tickets we have sold for this season. Suggests very few POTD tickets went for this one.

18,934….reality was probably 12-13k

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Is Pring injured or just pushed off the bus?

He’s was doing running pre-game with Vyner.

Thought first half was a bit flat and quiet all round. 2nd half I quite enjoyed, excellent break for our goal and had Wells squared to Weimann do we walk away with the win?

Bentley-Semenyo-Martin-GOAL

Good quick distribution, good work by Semenyo, decent finish.

Definitely some green shoots going into next season. Was quite happy with a point, could have been 3 although that said Sheffield United were dominant in certain areas too.

Shame about DaSilva and Semenyo going off injured. 

The last two games while not technically dazzling very honest, committed. Good response to the Peterborough game and the justified criticism.

• Like 4

Can't get too excited, but no doubt we caused problems for a team going for a playoff spot.

I thought we were a bit passive, stood off their midfield and let them play around us first half. Possibly played a little deep and allowed them space. 2nd half we seemed to press better, nicked some good ball that allowed us to break, which set them back a little. Yes we could have nicked 3 points with better choices, but I think we could have lost it by half time. Draw probably fair.
We could do with starting better, but as the commentator alluded to, with Kalas out and not much pace in the back 3 maybe we sat a bit deeper. Add 2 genuine FB/WB's to that team, which would release Scott to somewhere he can really affect play. Keep Williams fit or add a midfielder and if we could add a striker, maybe next year isn't looking as bad. Semenyo hits the target he scores seems to be the key. Weimann is still getting in positions to score. Martin I do have question marks about, he sees everything but just doesn't have the pace to get there or away from a defender. If we became a possession based team, he may well be more of an asset.

I really don't think things may be as dark as we sometimes think. Everything up in the air, and off field things and other teams will dictate where we are financially , but fingers crossed, and maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the light from an oncoming train :whistle2:

• Like 5

Decent game last night. Despite SU position dominance they didn’t create too many clear opportunities. Credit to our defensive shape for that, especially first half.

Thought our counter attacking second half was good and caused them lots of problems. I would say our offensive play has improved over this season, still room for improvement but better than the last couple of seasons.

I thought Berge was excellent for them first half. Interestingly his wages are in the Palmer range and shows what you can get if you spend your money well.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

What I was happiest with today was not that we could threaten a Top 6 side, it was that the players competed for 96 minutes in a game that was pretty meaningless to them.  We haven't always seen that level of commitment towards the end of a season. 

I know as professionals it should make no difference but Sheffield utd did have much more to play for than us, so you're right the players can take a lot of credit for the effort they put in considering they were really just playing for pride.  

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought first half was a bit flat and quiet all round. 2nd half I quite enjoyed, excellent break for our goal and had Wells squared to Weimann do we walk away with the win?

Bentley-Semenyo-Martin-GOAL

Good quick distribution, good work by Semenyo, decent finish.

Definitely some green shoots going into next season. Was quite happy with a point, could have been 3 although that said Sheffield United were dominant in certain areas too.

Shame about DaSilva and Semenyo going off injured. 

The last two games while not technically dazzling very honest, committed. Good response to the Peterborough game and the justified criticism.

I suspect he had Chris Martin’s anger from Friday in the back of his mind….do I shoot, or do I cross for a tap-in?  Semenyo has had a few games of late where he’s been a bit greedy.  He got it right last night.

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Decent game last night. Despite SU position dominance they didn’t create too many clear opportunities. Credit to our defensive shape for that, especially first half.

Thought our counter attacking second half was good and caused them lots of problems. I would say our offensive play has improved over this season, still room for improvement but better than the last couple of seasons.

I thought Berge was excellent for them first half. Interestingly his wages are in the Palmer range and shows what you can get if you spend your money well.

Berge cost £20m!!!

• Like 2