IGNORED

Barbecue

Bristol Rob

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That looks epic. 

I have been smoking/slow cooking with my barbecue but find it quite a faff trying to keep a constant temperature in the barbecue for hours difficult.

I got a digital one for my birthday for that exact reason. In some ways it’s taken the “romance” out of the process but for longer cooks it’s a god send 

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I got a digital one for my birthday for that exact reason. In some ways it’s taken the “romance” out of the process but for longer cooks it’s a god send 

I get mine wired up to various thermometers which are suppose to beep when it's outside of a range.

Still requires a huge amount of attention. Romance is overrated, what model of BBQ did you get?

51 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I get mine wired up to various thermometers which are suppose to beep when it's outside of a range.

Still requires a huge amount of attention. Romance is overrated, what model of BBQ did you get?

A Masterbuilt 800.  I think Costco have them for around £600 but they don’t come with the Griddle plate that they normally come with elsewhere. 

24 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

A Masterbuilt 800.  I think Costco have them for around £600 but they don’t come with the Griddle plate that they normally come with elsewhere. 

That is some significant barbecue! Looks fantastic, bet the results are expic.

I'm using a CosmoGrill XL - a far more basic device, but it does have a bottle opener built in to it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That is some significant barbecue! Looks fantastic, bet the results are expic.

I'm using a CosmoGrill XL - a far more basic device, but it does have a bottle opener built in to it!

After nearly a decade of smoking meat it seemed a worthwhile investment.  It’s bloody heavy mind you - and doesn’t have a bottle opener. 

13 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

After nearly a decade of smoking meat it seemed a worthwhile investment.  It’s bloody heavy mind you - and doesn’t have a bottle opener. 

Didn't think you were gonna drag down Weston Super for a hot-dog on the beach! And something that weighty should stop any garden thieves from trying to carry it away!

As for the bottle opener.... Well, you can't have everything!

On 19/04/2022 at 11:48, TonyTonyTony said:

Talking of monkfish, if you can get hold of the cheeks skewer them up and they are not too different from scallops. Just a marinade of lemon and olive oil

Many Thanks for your tip.

I was returning from the market this morning and passed by our local fishmonger.

I called in out of curiosity to see what they had on special offer and, would you believe it, Monkfish cheeks at €16/kilo!

So, I bought 400g and prepared them in a pan, rather than on a barbecue, with olive oil and lemon as I would normally do for fresh bass, sea bream etc. 

Very nice indeed, similar to scallops as you suggested, and a very enjoyable new discovery.

Incidentally, I don't know whether they are popular in the UK, or even available, but beef cheeks are readily available over here and very tasty and succulent in a slow cooked stew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was returning from the market this morning and passed by our local fishmonger.

I called in out of curiosity to see what they had on special offer and, would you believe it, Monkfish cheeks at €16/kilo!

So, I bought 400g and prepared them in a pan, rather than on a barbecue, with olive oil and lemon as I would normally do for fresh bass, sea bream etc. 

Very nice indeed, similar to scallops as you suggested, and a very enjoyable new discovery.

Incidentally, I don't know whether they are popular in the UK, or even available, but beef cheeks are readily available over here and very tasty and succulent in a slow cooked stew. 

16 euros a kilo - bargain ! Glad you enjoyed them. The cheeks are normally always the best bit of any animal. 

(Arse jokes welcome)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

16 euros a kilo - bargain ! Glad you enjoyed them. The cheeks are normally always the best bit of any animal. 

(Arse jokes welcome)

A nice rump steak is usually quite enjoyable, although I prefer sirloin.

Incidentally, what do fresh monkfish cheeks sell for in the UK?

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Incidentally, what do fresh monkfish cheeks sell for in the UK?

Not really sure. My reaction to your 16 EUR/Kg for them was knowing how cheaper that is vs Scallops.

On a wider point it’s amazing to me how little fishmongers or even fish choice there is in the UK considering we are an island nation. Bizarre

Edited by TonyTonyTony

25 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not really sure. My reaction to your 16 EUR/Kg for them was knowing how cheaper that is vs Scallops.

On a wider point it’s amazing to me how little fishmongers or even fish choice there is in the UK considering we are an island nation. Bizarre

It`s because all those pesky forriners keep catching them.

I know this is true because Jacob Rees-Mogg told me.

• Haha 1

€16/kilo is about 1/3 of the price for fresh scallops - €40/50 per kilo, with the coral, although obviously far cheaper on the coast rather than in Paris.

Re. wet fishmongers in the UK, I fear it was very much a case of use it or lose it.

Prior to BREXIT, the northern French fishing ports were full of British boats, because the demand for fresh fish is far greater in France than in the UK, both from restaurants and the wider public.

I live in a small suburb west of Paris, and the well stocked fishmonger is busy every day, especially in the warmer months, and the twice weekly local market has three or four fish stalls, all of which have constant queues.

I suspect the English preference is for a takeaway fish and chips or, perhaps, a frozen, pre-prepared breaded cod, for convenience as much as anything, as it is invariably less expensive to buy fresh and cook it oneself.

The same principle applies to butchers, fresh fruit and veg shops, bakers and even cheese shops, of which we have several within walking distance.

If the demand wasn’t there, common sense suggests they would close down, but they are thriving, whereas in the UK they are virtually nonexistent.

I maintain it is a question of supply and (lack of) demand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

€16/kilo is about 1/3 of the price for fresh scallops - €40/50 per kilo, with the coral, although obviously far cheaper on the coast rather than in Paris.

Re. wet fishmongers in the UK, I fear it was very much a case of use it or lose it.

Prior to BREXIT, the northern French fishing ports were full of British boats, because the demand for fresh fish is far greater in France than in the UK, both from restaurants and the wider public.

I live in a small suburb west of Paris, and the well stocked fishmonger is busy every day, especially in the warmer months, and the twice weekly local market has three or four fish stalls, all of which have constant queues.

I suspect the English preference is for a takeaway fish and chips or, perhaps, a frozen, pre-prepared breaded cod, for convenience as much as anything, as it is invariably less expensive to buy fresh and cook it oneself.

The same principle applies to butchers, fresh fruit and veg shops, bakers and even cheese shops, of which we have several within walking distance.

If the demand wasn’t there, common sense suggests they would close down, but they are thriving, whereas in the UK they are virtually nonexistent.

I maintain it is a question of supply and (lack of) demand.

Drives me mad we don’t have access to fresh fish in the UK as you do over there. First meal I invariably have when I’m in France / the med is fresh fish.

Enjoy all the produce available. You can source stuff in the UK but not so easy. Thankfully I live in a town with a decent butchers 

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Drives me mad we don’t have access to fresh fish in the UK as you do over there. First meal I invariably have when I’m in France / the med is fresh fish.

Enjoy all the produce available. You can source stuff in the UK but not so easy. Thankfully I live in a town with a decent butchers 

I always find it interesting to eavesdrop (discreetly and politely) on British tourists in the local food markets.

Invariably, they comment on the wide choice and presentation of the fruit and veg, marvel at the array of fish and ‘strange‘ cuts of meat, but also on the large choice of cheeses.

But, of course, not all the cheeses are French, and, a few years ago in Brittany, I overheard an English woman with a northern accent exclaim to her partner that they were selling ‘fresh’ Cheddar.

They then bought a large slice, ‘to see what it tasted like’.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Cod cheeks are good as well, cooked the same way. Unfortunately I'm allergic to monkfish...the only fish ?

Beef cheeks are readily available in butchers if you ask. Like you say... gorgeous.

• Like 1

We're in English asparagus season now.

Try and get some nice big, chunky asparagus. A lot of the best stuff is grown in Kent. Wash, click, and boil for 3 minutes.

Pack of parma ham usually has 5 slices. Cut each slice in half and wrap a piece around each spear of asparagus. For the thinner spears, you could wrap 2 in one piece of ham. 

Brush each spear and ham with olive oil, all over. Place on a foil tray and season with salt and pepper.

Put on the bbq (assuming 200-210 c) for 5-6 mins for a tasty snack/side. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Flames 1

On 20/04/2022 at 21:00, TonyTonyTony said:

I have just spent a few days in Baie de Somme, 40 or so north of Dieppe.

I saw on the fish market yesterday; fresh scallops, still in their shell, €6/kilo!

• Like 1