IGNORED

Rob Atkinson

OldlandReddies

1 hour ago, Malago said:

The other advantage with the Robs is they’re never going to attract attention from premiership clubs or clubs with PP and both could have lengthy careers with us re Louis Carey.

Why don't you think that Atkinson can't follow the Webster route? He is putting in these sort of performances after 1 season at league 1 level and about 30 Championship games. Imagine what he could be like after another full season at this level.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Why don't you think that Atkinson can't follow the Webster route? He is putting in these sort of performances after 1 season at league 1 level and about 30 Championship games. Imagine what he could be like after another full season at this level.

I think it’s a question of perception.  He’s not what I would call a “sexy” footballer.  Slightly hunched shoulders (similar to my childhood hero John Galley), a slightly awkward gate, he’s very much an old fashioned centre half.  You can see why our Nige rates him highly, but I don’t think he fits the profile the prem clubs are looking for.  I used the comparison with Louis Carey, because like Louis I think he’s a decent footballer.  I hope I’m right, in the sense he stays with us longer than did Adam Webster, but good luck to the young man if he can get a move to the prem.

• Hmmm 1

Atkinson was my Man of The Match yesterday, hoping he can stay fit and in form next season!

One thing I would have liked (in the circumstances, wouldn't ever normally advocate it!) was when JD went off shift him to LWB... He's deceptively quick when running straight and seems to carry the ball quite well. Think he would have caused more problems for Sheff Utd than Benarous who looks lost out there  and been better defensively. Would have been a good out ball for Scott to switch play with Weimann and Wells sniffing out second balls. Brighton did it with Dan Burn a few times and was actually quite effective, would have also allowed Idehen to have a chance off the bench.

6 hours ago, Malago said:

I think it’s a question of perception.  He’s not what I would call a “sexy” footballer.  Slightly hunched shoulders (similar to my childhood hero John Galley), a slightly awkward gate, he’s very much an old fashioned centre half.  You can see why our Nige rates him highly, but I don’t think he fits the profile the prem clubs are looking for.  I used the comparison with Louis Carey, because like Louis I think he’s a decent footballer.  I hope I’m right, in the sense he stays with us longer than did Adam Webster, but good luck to the young man if he can get a move to the prem.

What? He won’t get a Prem move because he has hunched shoulders and a slightly awkward gate?

If he’s good enough he’ll get one. He’s not the athlete that football clubs are prioritising but if he’s a class defender he’ll go regardless.

He completely changes our team when he's fit, as much in an attacking sense as a defensive one. The ability to step forward into the middle of the pitch and beyond is something we've missed desperately ever since Webster left us, and Luke Ayling before that. By stepping forward, he takes 2 or 3 of the opposition players out of the game and gives us a numerical advantage in the opposition half. Suddenly we have multiple passing options. It's even more important when we play with a back 5 IMO.

When we don't do this, it often ends up with a hopeful, lofted, 40/50 yard pass forward from one of the CB's into Martin (who was excellent yesterday btw) and we risk giving the ball straight back. 

I'd love to see Kalas the other side of Klose doing the same thing. 

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 2

Yes he had a very good game, yesterday, but as everyones favourite podcast guest said he does tend to ball watch. I noticed he did this twice in the first ten minutes yesterday and was then caught on his heels as the ball was played in front of him whilst his man had gone round the back, to receive the pass.

Also needs to release the ball earlier when he does run forward. Took it on too long a run in the second half yesterday, ran out of options so fell on the ball and gave away a (handball) freekick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes he had a very good game, yesterday, but as everyones favourite podcast guest said he does tend to ball watch. I noticed he did this twice in the first ten minutes yesterday and was then caught on his heels as the ball was played in front of him whilst his man had gone round the back, to receive the pass.

Also needs to release the ball earlier when he does run forward. Took it on too long a run in the second half yesterday, ran out of options so fell on the ball and gave away a (handball) freekick.

When he was fouled as he was about to pass it?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

You mean when he was bundled over just as he was about to make the pass. 

He fell over because he was out of options and went for the foul, which Stroud wasn't buying. There were options of a decent pass moments before.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

He fell over because he was out of options and went for the foul, which Stroud wasn't buying. There were options of a decent pass moments before.

Whether he fell or was pushed and went down who knows. 

The lad was playing non league not that long ago and has made it here via League One. We have a development policy to develop players. The boy obviously has the ability and the stones to go forward with the ball at his feet and now it’s up to him and the club to ensure he can build on that and find the right pass at the right time! 

He reminds me a bit of Gary Collier who AD eventually turned in to quite a player. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Experience is required which he’s what he’s getting this season. Would like to think next year he’ll get tighter to his man and look and see the right pass coming out with the ball. He will learn a lot from Klose for sure.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KegCity said:

What? He won’t get a Prem move because he has hunched shoulders and a slightly awkward gate?

If he’s good enough he’ll get one. He’s not the athlete that football clubs are prioritising but if he’s a class defender he’ll go regardless.

I cannot see that his GAIT is awkward. For a tall lad who appears to have "filled out" his upper body since he arrived, he is very mobile and nimble. £1.5 million is a bargain.