IGNORED

Scudamore

RedRock

23 hours ago, Pezo said:

Hopefully asks a lot of questions about what Gould is doing and hopefully is trying to figure out if what Gould is doing is in the best long term interests of the club, you know like he did with Ashton.

Why would you not think Gould was doing a good job? His reputation in cricket is absolutely golden.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Scudamore would be asset to City simply for his knowledge and contacts within the game, plus he’s a City fan.

I imagine that with his profile in the game that’s he’s had a plethora of various offers many of them global and when Smarmy Ashton left I thought Scudamore would have made an ideal CEO but obviously never happened.

So replace a tinpot smarmy money orientated bluffer with a premier league proven smarmy money orientated bluffer?

What does he actually know?  How to get inflated prices for tv deals. How to suck money out of an organisation dripping with it..

Contacts from a few years ago when we're looking to buy Championship free agents and league 1/2 youngsters won't really help in anyway.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I would have thought that with Richards contact re the Premier in England and world wide would be a useful person if you were looking at selling the club.

Exactly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Why would you not think Gould was doing a good job? His reputation in cricket is absolutely golden.

I don't know, I'm not close enough to it and that's the problem, but that's why a non exec board exists - to hold the executive to account.

We don't know that the reason his reputation in cricket was good because he had a good team around him.

The problem with C level executives is you don't realise the positives or negatives for about 5 years and they usually move on every 4 years!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Bard said:

So replace a tinpot smarmy money orientated bluffer with a premier league proven smarmy money orientated bluffer?

What does he actually know?  How to get inflated prices for tv deals. How to suck money out of an organisation dripping with it..

Contacts from a few years ago when we're looking to buy Championship free agents and league 1/2 youngsters won't really help in anyway.

What leads you suggest that Scudamore is a a bluffer or a fraud as Ashton was? 

27 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What does he actually know? ? Turned the PL into the most attractive and powerful league in the world - that not enough ?

Scudamore is a life long City fan is he not? 

So are a load of people stood near me who can barely complete a sentence.

The skills you list, what use are they to us? 

We're an underachieving championship club. He has a high level background in sales basically. Never worked for an actual club.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

The skills you list, what use are they to us? 

We're an underachieving championship club. He has a high level background in sales basically. Never worked for an actual club.

He has proven business acumen. Dismissing him in the manner you are doing is ridiculous. Anyway, for me he is just in the stands watching his team as a fan. If he has been offered some kind of role then that's good for us

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What leads you suggest that Scudamore is a a bluffer or a fraud as Ashton was? 

If he us presenting himself as being able to run a club I'd be doubtful. That's a nuts and bo lj ts role which is not his background. He didn't turn the premier league into this global brand. He negotiated deals.

If he's advising Lansdown on how to sell the club it would make perfect sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If he us presenting himself as being able to run a club I'd be doubtful. That's a nuts and bo lj ts role which is not his background. He didn't turn the premier league into this global brand. He negotiated deals.

If he's advising Lansdown on how to sell the club it would make perfect sense.

No reason to suggest he’s a bluffer tho.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What does he actually know? ? Turned the PL into the most attractive and powerful league in the world - that not enough ?

Scudamore is a life long City fan is he not? 

That doesn’t mean he has the skills to run a football club. 
He’s just a slightly higher spec version of Mark Ashton - a salesman who works in football. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’s just a slightly higher spec version of Mark Ashton - a salesman who works in football. 

People are talking about him joining as a non-exec. Not "running the club".

What he knows about football is more than the Lansdowns, which is why it would be good to have such a voice on the board. 

Let's remember Richard Gould was a tank commander before he worked here in a commercial role for 4 years and then worked in cricket for 16 years, where the everyday challenges are quite different. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

I never said he should run our club. I said his proven business acumen, combined with the fact he is a city fan, would be an asset to us if he was offered a role in the club.

As for the comment about being a slightly higher spec version of MA - Ashton isn't even on the same chapter, let alone page as Scudamore. Being CEO of the biggest football league in the world for > 10 yrs trumps being CEO of the tractor boys by quite a distance

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

People are talking about him joining as a non-exec. Not "running the club".

What he knows about football is more than the Lansdowns, which is why it would be good to have such a voice on the board. 

Let's remember Richard Gould was a tank commander before he worked here in a commercial role for 4 years and then worked in cricket for 16 years, where the everyday challenges are quite different. 

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I never said he should run our club. I said his proven business acumen, combined with the fact he is a city fan, would be an asset to us if he was offered a role in the club.

As for the comment about being a slightly higher spec version of MA - Ashton isn't even on the same chapter, let alone page as Scudamore. Being CEO of the biggest football league in the world for > 10 yrs trumps being CEO of the tractor boys by quite a distance

The quotes I responded to were ones which started from Robbored’s comment saying he would make a good CEO. 
So I was responding to him fulfilling that role. Which he’s no more experienced at or has the skills for than Ashton did. 
Clearly a successful salesman but nothing on his CV to suggest he could be a successful day to day CEO of a football club. 
Commercial Director? Yep, go right ahead. But I’d think that would be a bit below him. 

Edited by Harry

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

The quotes I responded to were ones which started from Robbored’s comment saying he would make a good CEO. 
So I was responding to him fulfilling that role. Which he’s no more experienced at or has the skills for than Ashton did. 
Clearly a successful salesman but nothing on his CV to suggest he could be a successful day to day CEO of a football club. 
Commercial Director? Yep, go right ahead. But I’d think that would be a bit below him. 

I suggest a non-executive director, not a club employee.  A part-time basically advisory role that might hopefully temper farragoes like the Holden appointment. 

Others have suggested having an ex-player in that role but I think - with a few very notable exceptions - ex-players have made poor directors at lots of clubs. I think you need commercial nous, contacts and a knowledge of the game's realities. Being a genuine fan helps too.

I don't see any reason why we would need to replace Richard Gould at all, but if we did there is no reason why Scudamore couldn't do it - there is no set career ladder for a football club's CEO - but why would he want to do it? He's in his early 60s, made so much money he doesn't need a f/t job, particularly one that is such a ball-ache as running City must be. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1

A CEO of a football club should largely be someone who is seen but not heard.... Richard Gould is very much someone like that. Just gets on with the job and runs the club as he should whether things are going well or not on the pitch. For the most part, the CEO should go about their business in the background and just get on with working to improve the club, working with the manager and the board to try and ensure everything comes together. I guess a bit like a conductor of an orchestra. You also have to remember that a football club is a completely different business to most - so any role within the structure of the business is probably slightly different to the norm. 

Mark Ashton on the other hand was someone who loved the attention and the limelight and was happy to take the plaudits, whether he deserved them or not, when things were going well. But when things got tough, was nowhere to be seen. And this behaviour has been repeated at Ipswich. High fiving fans a few months ago as if they had won the league.... but now there is a bit of unrest, he has crawled back under his rock. Mark Ashton, for all his faults (of which there are many!) has one thing going for him... he is a master blagger. He is one of those people who bullshits their way through life, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake but still somehow comes out smelling of roses and lands on his feet no matter what. For that, I have to applaud him - because it takes some special kind of arrogance and belief to do what he does and somehow seem like he is doing a good job to those who employ him. He was on £500k a year at City. Someone signed off on that wage.... just think about that. 

Edited by Tim S
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1