IGNORED

Return of the Mac

bs3

Whilst I would be gobsmacked, nothing would really be a surprise when it comes to the owner and the Johnson family.

I can see Nige walking - lots of potential reasons - but the main one for me is that he will and has ruffled feathers and that will not have gone down well.

Also, and I think this is key, Nige will be in a financially secure position, sure he is of a vintage that when he was a player he would not be earning the astronomical sums that players do now, but as a coach / manager he will have had some good contracts and will not be worried about his next mortgage payment.

IF, he walks, I am afraid LJ would be in the prime position to get the job.

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

McAllister has been sat in the Lansdown, suited & booted, for the past 2 home games.

Nothing unusual for McAllister to attend games in the Lansdown. He still lives in Long Ashton and has a long history with our club, so he’s likely attending as a genuine fan (but with privileges). 

As for LJ’s return - I highly doubt LJ would return to this club as a Manager, but I wouldn’t rule out him being employed again here in some sort of capacity in the future (ie Dof type role) 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

As with most rumours, there is a plausible grain of truth (McAllister) and then it’s gone silly due to the man in the pub.

Suspect this all gathered momentum due to JMc being at home games recenently

With social media it is very easy to get a nonsense rumour up and running

29 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

IF, he walks, I am afraid LJ would be in the prime position to get the job.

Lets hope that isn’t the case in regards to LJ.The long standing rumour is that SL has always admired Mark Robins. I’ve heard that from a friend of a fairly reliable source at the club and it has also been banded about on here plenty of times over the years aswell.

If Nige does walk then i think we could do a lot worse than to try and get Robins.. has done a fantastic job at Coventry but with them tailing off a bit now into mid-table could we potentially tempt him away? He may take one look at our current situation with the financial constraints and think F that but he has hardly had millions to spend at Cov..

I’ve always just had this good feeling that he would do very well here if given the opportunity.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

Lets hope that isn’t the case in regards to LJ.The long standing rumour is that SL has always admired Mark Robins. I’ve heard that from a friend of a fairly reliable source at the club and it has also been banded about on here plenty of times over the years aswell.

If Nige does walk then i think we could do a lot worse than to try and get Robins.. has done a fantastic job at Coventry but with them tailing off a bit now into mid-table could we potentially tempt him away? He may take one look at our current situation with the financial constraints and think F that but he has hardly had millions to spend at Cov..

I’ve always just had this good feeling that he would do very well here if given the opportunity.

I see leaving Coventry and coming to Bristol City as a sideways step for Robins. They're a club who are currently on the up, he'd be silly to leave there after all the work he has done in getting Coventry to where they are. 

Maybe in a few years if he leaves or is sacked and we have a vacancy it might happen, but I seriously think City may be under new ownership by that time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bris red said:

Robins was always my favourite on the last two occasions we’ve appointed. I’d welcome that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

There have been some suggestions  of LJ or NP becoming director of football. I’m confused as to what this job actually involves so I did a quick Google. The answer was “ The exact nature of the role is often unclear and causes much debate in the sports media.” Something like that would be ideal for City. 

• Haha 9

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There have been some suggestions  of LJ or NP becoming director of football. I’m confused as to what this job actually involves so I did a quick Google. The answer was “ The exact nature of the role is often unclear and causes much debate in the sports media.” Something like that would be ideal for City. 

I’d place Mr Warnock ahead of those two in a ‘director of football’ role or ‘chief football consultant’ type gig 

• Like 1

Never go back Lee, especially to AG. You were average as a player, we are still saddled with your "coach" legacy and the metaphors, simile, cliché and pure gobbledygook of your press statements and interviews have left me scarred for life!

You need a new challenge(radio pundit should not be on your list following Saturday's attempt) several hundred miles away from Bristol!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

If that was to happen, let it be soon, then I could save best part of £600

Even with Lansdown's links and love of LJ, it makes no sense on any level.
McAlister  as coach, possibly , but would it be a Pearson appointment or from above ?

I'll be glad when this season ends, it just doesn't seem funny any more.

If that *** Johnson came back, there would be a mutiny at AG. Not even someone who has no idea about running a football club like Lansdown would be that stupid - would he?

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Rob k said:

As said previously, id quite like to see LJ here without Ashton pulling the strings 

It would be interesting to see how he'd perform within the financial restraints we've currently got where he can't go out and buy another player or two and is left to coach and improve players here. Even the biggest haters of LJ admit he was good at this.

38 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

On this I have some level of agreement. Though he is a coach , not a leader. He would be ok for example at running the academy at bit like Benny L. But he really needs to drop down to L2 or National League and get a promotion under his belt. Even Barton looks like going close with the shambles from north of the divide. Failing that, a career as an academy coach would suit him. 

Been a very noticeable change in tactic with regards to academy players since LJ left. It’s gone from out on loan at any sniff of ability to keeping around the first team and getting game time