IGNORED

Liverpool - United

phantom

Very late to the party on this one, so please feel free to bypass this, but....

I really enjoyed the game, simply because it was so one-sided in a way that suits my preferences with these two teams.

What REALLY hit home with me though were the post match comments of Keane and Souness about recruitment at Man Utd over the last ten years or so. Hit a nerve with me for sure, with regard to Bristol City. Orders of magnitude can be applied of course - BUT at the core, it's the same issues of ability and passion for the club and shirt that aren't up to scratch. Keane's passion for his club is mirrored in my passion for my club and it was good to hear what he said. Well done to him for calling it out. 

I do think that this is NP's message and very much what he sees at Bristol City. But it's obviously more precarious for him when speaking publicly. If that's the case, he's right, just as Keane is right about Man Utd. For that alone, NP will get my continued support. 

Edited by Red_Alligator
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It's not so much that. For the generation that I am part of, the only live TV football we would see would be the European Cup and supporting the British team more often than not, meant supporting Liverpool. 

So throughout the 70s they were a lot of people's "2nd team" or at least the one you'd want to see do well on a certain level.

We had a decent record against Liverpool at home during our Division 1 years (W2, D1, L1), but my dad always said the best 45 mins of football he’d ever seen by a team was the first half of the draw (77/78), they were 1-0 at half time (maybe we missed a pen?). I could claim to remember it as well, but can’t. 

Good post RA.

I too listened to Sourness and as you said his comments about recruitment applied 100% to us. 

No doubt that Nige is very much aware of the difficulties he’s inherited and as our performances over Easter showed his expectations, methods and tactics seem to be bearing fruit at long last. It’s taken pretty much all season but green shoots have started to show. 

Whether we win, lose or draw at Huddersfield on Saturday won’t  the be all or end but what is important is the performance and if the last two results are anything to go by I’m hoping for another decent showing.

I remain as optimistic now as I was when he was appointed that he’ll develop us into a very solid Championship club with the potential to reach the PL. 

• Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It's not so much that. For the generation that I am part of, the only live TV football we would see would be the European Cup and supporting the British team more often than not, meant supporting Liverpool. 

So throughout the 70s they were a lot of people's "2nd team" or at least the one you'd want to see do well on a certain level.

Quite right Red. I was a little kid in the 1970s and had Liverpool as well as City stuff. Love City but still have a soft spot for the Anfielders.  Incidentally, thats one of the elements that  made "that night" in the FA Cup special for me. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Very late to the party on this one, so please feel free to bypass this, but....

I really enjoyed the game, simply because it was so one-sided in a way that suits my preferences with these two teams.

What REALLY hit home with me though were the post match comments of Keane and Souness about recruitment at Man Utd over the last ten years or so. Hit a nerve with me for sure, with regard to Bristol City. Orders of magnitude can be applied of course - BUT at the core, it's the same issues of ability and passion for the club and shirt that aren't up to scratch. Keane's passion for his club is mirrored in my passion for my club and it was good to hear what he said. Well done to him for calling it out. 

I do think that this is NP's message and very much what he sees at Bristol City. But it's obviously more precarious for him when speaking publicly. If that's the case, he's right, just as Keane is right about Man Utd. For that alone, NP will get my continued support. 

I thought the same RA.

Interestingly, I think I'm right in saying that Man U has recently appointed a new chief exec. The implication the the previous incumbent might have been responsible for many of their poor recruitment decisions. 

Perhaps another similarity to us?

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

I thought the same RA.

Interestingly, I think I'm right in saying that Man U has recently appointed a new chief exec. The implication the the previous incumbent might have been responsible for many of their poor recruitment decisions. 

Yes indeed Downend. Also, the thing about Roy Keane is that, even as just a fan, you know that he would happily go into the dressing room and tell those Man United players that they think they're better than they are, and that they are simply not good enough or passionate enough to represent the club that he loves. I rather suspect that he'd also be quite clear with the owners about how poor recruitment has been in recent years. Not acceptable. Get it sorted. 

Wish I had the cahunnas that Keane has got. 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good post RA.

I too listened to Sourness and as you said his comments about recruitment applied 100% to us. 

No doubt that Nige is very much aware of the difficulties he’s inherited and as our performances over Easter showed his expectations, methods and tactics seem to be bearing fruit at long last. It’s taken pretty much all season but green shoots have started to show. 

Whether we win, lose or draw at Huddersfield on Saturday won’t  the be all or end but what is important is the performance and if the last two results are anything to go by I’m hoping for another decent showing.

I remain as optimistic now as I was when he was appointed that he’ll develop us into a very solid Championship club with the potential to reach the PL. 

Not sure we will even turn up at Huddersfield on Saturday.....as we should stop en route at Derby to join the relegation party.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I thought the same RA.

Trouble is their new Chief Exec was the right hand man of the outgoing one and was appointed by him.  Long may their troubles continue.

Getting back, somewhat belatedly, to the game itself, it was disappointing to see Bruno Fernandes swing a tired, frustrated and petulant boot for a late tackle, just minutes after the introduction of a young Hannibal Mejbri, who was booked only moments earlier for a similar offence. 

Interestingly, just like Han-Noah Massengo, Mejbri is also from a Parisian suburb, although south of Paris rather than north-east, but, similar hair styles aside, what a difference in their style of play.

Both run and harass like dervishes, but it seemed to me that Mejbri just wanted to pull his opponents' shirt or kick them and, frankly, I thought he was very fortunate not to receive a second yellow card - it seemed as if the referee was suggesting that there are only a few minutes left, but be very careful or you will be off.

Incidentally, Gary Neville seemed impressed with him as he was the only one sprinting to challenge.

The age old scenario when those who admire good football from teams other than their "own" club are derided by others.

I've supported City all my life and have only followed a couple of other sides because I lived in those towns for a while; Shrewsbury and Livingston.

But I've also been fortunate to see live games of some of the best teams in the world at the time.

Portsmouth, First Division champions twice in late 1940's. Wolves in the early 50's. Spurs, league and FA Cup winners in 1961, Brazil at Wembley in 1963 but without Pele. The Busby Babes at Eastville before Munich. Real Madrid's Di Stefano and Puskas, Portugal's Eusebio at Wembley in international games

Liverpool, Forest in 1970's at Ashton Gate.I hated losing to them but had a real thrill to see such quality football.

Now we are flooded on TV with top class football every week, yet while I still admire the class football from them, I still get a bigger buzz going to City. They are my club, for better and for worse, in sickness and in health, til death do us part!

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The age old scenario when those who admire good football from teams other than their "own" club are derided by others.

I've supported City all my life and have only followed a couple of other sides because I lived in those towns for a while; Shrewsbury and Livingston.

But I've also been fortunate to see live games of some of the best teams in the world at the time.

Portsmouth, First Division champions twice in late 1940's. Wolves in the early 50's. Spurs, league and FA Cup winners in 1961, Brazil at Wembley in 1963 but without Pele. The Busby Babes at Eastville before Munich. Real Madrid's Di Stefano and Puskas, Portugal's Eusebio at Wembley in international games

Liverpool, Forest in 1970's at Ashton Gate.I hated losing to them but had a real thrill to see such quality football.

Now we are flooded on TV with top class football every week, yet while I still admire the class football from them, I still get a bigger buzz going to City. They are my club, for better and for worse, in sickness and in health, til death do us part!

Wow mate back to the 40s. How old are you ? well done mate

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I only go back to the late 60s CA,I’m a whippersnapper compared to you!

Your last paragraph describes exactly the same way that I feel and I’m sure you and I are not alone in that.

The adage of ‘you can change anything in your life but not your football team’ is so true.

Edited by Robbored

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Fair play, I've never heard anyone describe a shot well inside the 18 YARD BOX as a 20 yarder

Have you never heard a man tell his partner what 8 inches looks like? ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, City oz said:

Wow mate back to the 40s. How old are you ? well done mate

@City oz

Born in 1943, saw my first league match, taken by my father, much to my eternal shame, at Eastville in Feb 1950. Bristol Rugby in March and City v Aldershot on Good Friday 1950. Cardiff City Easter Monday following. In the summer both Glos and Somerset County cricket.

Dad came from Rhondda Valley but his father born in Claverham next to Yatton. When Dad was young he would viisit an uncle who lived on Coronation Road and if City were home, all the males went. Around 1910 to 1914.

We'd go to Cardiff about five times a year en route to visit Nana and they were in the First Division. Saw Blackpool with Stan Matthews, Pompey had twice won the league a year or so before. John Atyeo was an amateur at Pompey while the won them before he joined City. Wolves were an awesome team then with England captain Billy Wright.

So I got in the habit of watching as much live football, rugby and cricket at a very young age. My memory of those days is clear, it's what I did five minutes ago that are the problem now. Early sixties after I left school and I grabbed the chance to see live football whenever I could. Even at Eastville as a last resort. Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea v Liverpool,West Ham in 1963, Fulham later on with George Best and Bobby Moore Internationals at Wembley and lots of City away games. Also didn't miss a City home game for nearly 25 years from 1960.

• Like 4
  • Robin 2

On 21/04/2022 at 18:54, cidered abroad said:

@City oz

Born in 1943, saw my first league match, taken by my father, much to my eternal shame, at Eastville in Feb 1950. Bristol Rugby in March and City v Aldershot on Good Friday 1950. Cardiff City Easter Monday following. In the summer both Glos and Somerset County cricket.

Dad came from Rhondda Valley but his father born in Claverham next to Yatton. When Dad was young he would viisit an uncle who lived on Coronation Road and if City were home, all the males went. Around 1910 to 1914.

We'd go to Cardiff about five times a year en route to visit Nana and they were in the First Division. Saw Blackpool with Stan Matthews, Pompey had twice won the league a year or so before. John Atyeo was an amateur at Pompey while the won them before he joined City. Wolves were an awesome team then with England captain Billy Wright.

So I got in the habit of watching as much live football, rugby and cricket at a very young age. My memory of those days is clear, it's what I did five minutes ago that are the problem now. Early sixties after I left school and I grabbed the chance to see live football whenever I could. Even at Eastville as a last resort. Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea v Liverpool,West Ham in 1963, Fulham later on with George Best and Bobby Moore Internationals at Wembley and lots of City away games. Also didn't miss a City home game for nearly 25 years from 1960.

You are a true robin. My first City home match was around 1968 and I was 6 years old. My dad took me too every home match for many years up to about I was around 11 or 12. We had a nice spot in the East End near the corner and I watched the Dolman stand being built. Then when my dad did not want to take me as he liked his Saturday afternoons in the Concorde pub at Stockwood other City die hards from Stockwood would take me.

Then in my teams I started to go too away matches with mates from Bris school. I remember so many great away matches. Coventry, West Ham, Arsenal, West Brom,  

Even had a season ticket in the Dolman between 82 and 83.

89 moved to OZ and have been back only three times in the past 30 or so years but I have always managed to get a home match in. Last one was early December a couple of years ago and we lossed to Blackburn Rovers. I was back for my dads funeral.