IGNORED

"Worst side in the League"

Mr Popodopolous

Had missed this one but browsing the Bristol Post briefly, some interesting- salty and sour grapes another that springs to mind- comments by Michael O'Neill.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-stoke-6974884?int_source=nba

Seemingly told his players that they had lost vs 'the worst side in the League'.

O'Neill I've always considered to be a bit of an arse tbh, also has a forked tongue- "I enjoy the challenge of FFP" when selling both big Tangible Assets and signing loanees that they have post Parachute Payments.

Good to see NP biting back.

We are a bit of a bogey team for them tbh, or have become one- 5-1-2 in the League since they came down plus a relatively comfortable win in the Cup in 2017/18.

Doesn't reflect terribly well on players or manager to lose- twice- to the 'worst side in the League'. :)

He also strikes me as somewhat of a moaner about refs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@robin for life We would be contenders yes but then as I said elsewhere they got points docked for a reason- the obvious counterfactual is that if everyone else, us included were able to overspend to the same level would we be relegation contenders- or would we at least be about where we are now? I'd suggest yes probably about the same.

Look at it another way, they are allowed to just get away with the expenditure and in Derby's case additionally possibly gaining an advantage via administration and restructuring debts shafting creditors in full and reforming as if nothing ever occurred- that disadvantages every other club who played within the rules and I include Stoke in that as it stands. I'm perfectly comfortable with the deductions and reasons for them. Anything else would constitute an unfair sporting advantage to Derby and Reading.

• Like 15
  • Flames 1

Can't actually find it anywhere else tbh, just yet- but I assume it's an accurate reflection of his quotes and that of O'Neill. ?‍♂️

Stoke local paper which probably took it from ours or similar or vice versa but without doing a huge trawl I can't find the quotes easily.

44 minutes ago, robin for life said:

We are not the worse, but we are one of the worse. The league table doesn't lie and without Derby and Reading's point deductions we would be relegation contenders this season, there is no doubt about that. 

This gets trotted out a lot, there are 5 sides below us once points deductions get taken into account. Reading would still be below us.

There is a reason why they got them, they cheated, for those who think Derby are unlucky, well they only stayed up last season because another side (Sheffield Wednesday) got one.

• Like 16
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This gets trotted out a lot, there are 5 sides below us once points deductions get taken into account. Reading would still be below us.

There is a reason why they got them, they cheated, for those who think Derby are unlucky, well they only stayed up last season because another side (Sheffield Wednesday) got one.

Granted and true although we would still be involved in a relegation scrap along with Birmingham, Hull, Reading and possibly even Cardiff- but do agree- and yes they both got points docked for a good reason.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't actually find it anywhere else tbh, just yet- but I assume it's an accurate reflection of his quotes and that of O'Neill. ?‍♂️

Stoke local paper which probably took it from ours or similar or vice versa but without doing a huge trawl I can't find the quotes easily.

Yep. Reach plc is the common denominator here. I sometimes wonder whether there is a real local paper left in this country. Maybe there's one in Royston Valley?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The table even without points deductions says 5th or 6th worst, probably.

Stop using facts to win the argument.

I mean just because there are no metrics whatsoever to back up that opinion doesn’t mean they’re wrong, does it?

Form table, last 6 games we are 19th, last 8 games, 18th.

Clearly 2nd or 3rd worst..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

I'm not just being negative but think he has a point. We've been fortunate Weimann and to a lesser degree Martin and Semenyo have produced important goals to keep us afloat. In terms of how we've played throughout the season we've been second best against a large majority of teams.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had missed this one but browsing the Bristol Post briefly, some interesting- salty and sour grapes another that springs to mind- comments by Michael O'Neill.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-stoke-6974884?int_source=nba

Seemingly told his players that they had lost vs 'the worst side in the League'.

O'Neill I've always considered to be a bit of an arse tbh, also has a forked tongue- "I enjoy the challenge of FFP" when selling both big Tangible Assets and signing loanees that they have post Parachute Payments.

Good to see NP biting back.

We are a bit of a bogey team for them tbh, or have become one- 5-1-2 in the League since they came down plus a relatively comfortable win in the Cup in 2017/18.

Doesn't reflect terribly well on players or manager to lose- twice- to the 'worst side in the League'. :)

He also strikes me as somewhat of a moaner about refs.

Somebody else moans about refs tbf, very close to home.

The fact we are top of the blowing shit tonnes of points in the last ten minutes league should tell us something? 

To explain to one or two. In order to blow the points we do actually have to have scored and taken the lead.

Therefore over a season we are doing some things well initially! Thus we are in fact the worst team in the league in the closing stages, but definitely not for most of the match. 

Despite hearing some weekend/post match garbage, it would appear that we are not leaking late goals like we have. The two guys that were playing non league football are developing assisted by Klose. Williams and James are getting games and Desilva is showing up. There is a lot of upside going into the close season after yet another injury ravaged season. I would suggest more effort needs to be made toward why we so disproportionately get medium/long term injuries, but the upside of giving our youngsters games is clear. 

The club have set Pearson a task over a three year period and I would certainly say that I see more upside for us than Stoke for the next two seasons. 

• Like 6

The three strikers have kept us up with their 35 goals and numerous assists, out of the 18 teams that are going to be left in this division and the three coming down from the premiership I’d imagine the bookies will have us as the favourites to be relegated, hopefully the three that come up will struggle 

19 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I actually think we are the worst or one of the worst teams, we just happen to have a bit of individual quality in Semenyo, Weimann to have kept us ticking the points over

I know where you are coming from but we’ve been on the end of some shocking refereeing decisions as well mind so it is a valid counter argument that we should have another 6 or 7 points at least in the bag.

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Last I checked Semenyo, Weimann and Martin are part of our team. Therefore if they are good, part of our team is good. Thus the exclusion of their excellence cannot be used to support an argument that our team is the worst, or even one of the worst, in the league.

Exactly. The same shite arguments are given, with what if scenarios, to justify attacks on the obvious party.

As for next season who the hell knows! The idea that we will be awful and promoted clubs better be terrible are around on a number of threads. 

The average supporter has no clue what is going to happen. Most latch on  to statements regarding finance and what we may/may not have to spend and are already crying about season tickets (the usual at this time of the season) or just whining we are doomed!

We Are Not!!

We will need to be canny with signings ( A massive change from the Ashton era), but there will be a dearth of out of contract players. We will almost certainly need to sell two or three in view of finance and contract scenarios, but that just makes us the same as 80% of the clubs in the division . 

The constant theme of we are not as good as club x/y/z who are smaller than us and are doing better is the usual shout and has some justification. However we are moving away from pour The clubs money down the toilet model on  ‘clubs in the ******* bag’ to a slimed down, bring your players through and actually get players that make your first team squad better model. 

These things are just facts. Remember last season Barnsley made the play offs this season they are relegation fodder. Obviously not a sustainable business model is it? City are actually now trying to build a sustainable squad from the resources we have, not trying to spend millions on players that clog up the treatment room because they can’t get match fit as they are barely on the pitch model. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Moaning about where we would be without other teams points deductions is just the high level ‘we would have lost that game if their player had not been sent off and we did not get a penalty’. I mean, sure, but dems the rules.

Can well see next year being difficult again, but  it think we will be alright.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 2