IGNORED

“Most of the squad will still be here next year” - NP

One Team

Anyone else watched the pre match press conference with NP?

It may well be a strategic comment for potential interest but not quite what I wanted to hear after months of comments about players moving on. 

May mean nothing ultimately but there are quite a few who simply aren’t good enough and need to move on and a couple of others we probably need to sell to finance improvements. 

Depends on how you want to take that comment. Most could be 51%, but that isn’t ever going to happen. You also need other teams to want your players. Personally think it may be a couple sold, most ooc released & slightly more brought in ( mainly frees ). I’m also not bothered about if they are free, it’s what they bring to the party. There are going to be quite a lot of potential free signings this summer, recruitment is key ( you only have to look at Man Utd! ). Interesting summer ahead. COYR 

• Like 17
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, One Team said:

It may well be a strategic comment for potential interest but not quite what I wanted to hear after months of comments about players moving on. 

May mean nothing ultimately but there are quite a few who simply aren’t good enough and need to move on and a couple of others we probably need to sell to finance improvements. 

Well he has been unable (on the whole) to get the best out of this squad,  we have underachieved.

If he is unable to change the squad significantly and bring in players who buy into his apparent philosophy then we are bang in trouble. 

Looks like another year of "not on the bus" and "they".

17 minutes ago, The Coach said:

I’m not surprised. Cannot see many clubs lining up bids for likes of Palmer, Wells, Vyner,    Kalas and a few others. 

True - but then other clubs will definitely be interested in Scott, Semenyo and HNM. Forest made a derisory for AS during the winter window.

Nige also talked about strengthening this summer and that will mean selling to raise funds for the war chest.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

True - but then other clubs will definitely be interested in Scott, Semenyo and HNM. Forest made a derisory for AS during the winter window.

Nige also talked about strengthening this summer and that will mean selling to raise funds for the war chest.

Kalas and Weimann will definitely receive opportunities to move on.

Statistically that’s bound to be the case, isn’t it?

We have used 29 players this season, only one of those (Simpson) has officially left so far & Bakinson is probably likely to.

Only 4 who have featured (Klose, Cundy, King & O’Dowda) are out of contract & the first 2 of those could get new contracts & even the other two might (much less likely).

We will probably move on 4 or so others, we know the ones we don’t want or cannot afford, but anyone thinking we are getting rid of double figures in numbers like last season is naive.

Probably 4 or 5 in again & 7 out.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 8

48 minutes ago, One Team said:

Why did you think for one moment he’d be able to move on players that are on good contracts and won’t get a better deal elsewhere? 
No one seemed to ask that key question when he was making statements about getting rid of players.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Why did you think for one moment he’d be able to move on players that are on good contracts and won’t get a better deal elsewhere? 
No one seemed to ask that key question when he was making statements about getting rid of players.

It was interesting that wasn’t picked up on by the press either in the interview actually. 

Personally I am more interested in not signing the players out of contract and moving some on lesser contracts. The likes of Wells and Palmer will be difficult for sure.

It’s possible to get rid of most players if the price is right. For example, Nagy was given away. With the high earners at City a free transfer with a pay off, of part of their remaining salary, would encourage them to leave. It would mean a short term outlay  by City to be balanced by a longer term salary saving. Probably not much of an overall saving, but better than nothing. With the payoff players would be more receptive to accept a lower salary offer from other clubs. I’m sure there are clubs, at some level, who would take Palmer, Wells and Vyner if they can sign them on a relatively cheap package. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s possible to get rid of most players if the price is right. For example, Nagy was given away. With the high earners at City a free transfer with a pay off, of part of their remaining salary, would encourage them to leave. It would mean a short term outlay  by City to be balanced by a longer term salary saving. Probably not much of an overall saving, but better than nothing. With the payoff players would be more receptive to accept a lower salary offer from other clubs. I’m sure there are clubs, at some level, who would take Palmer, Wells and Vyner if they can sign them on a relatively cheap package. 

The players have to agree, can't force a loan or sale to somewhere they don't want to go.

Nagy wanted out and a return to Italy.

Bakinson wanted out, handed in a transfer request last Summer.

Edited by Waconda

18 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Then why say (on several occasions) that players won’t be here next season after a defeat in his post match press conference? At best he’s giving off mixed messages here.

Maybe in the hope that it makes a few of them think about knuckling down and doing the job they're paid to do, at an acceptable standard rather than the below par performances many of the players put in? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, One Team said:

It was interesting that wasn’t picked up on by the press either in the interview actually. 

Personally I am more interested in not signing the players out of contract and moving some on lesser contracts. The likes of Wells and Palmer will be difficult for sure.

I don't think he wants to get rid of Wells, of course it would be considered if a club came in with a reasonable offer but he said he's happy with the forwards and is not looking to change things in that area, the defence is the priority especially the full back positions, and a midfielder or two. I expect HNM to be sold if he doesn't sign a new deal, Bakinson probably not coming back, wouldn't be surprised if O'Dowda not offered a new deal and Palmer will go if necessary on a free to get him off the wage bill.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Those are the players you want to stay and build around. Which realistically, will not due to their quality. It's the natural cycle.

The players I've highlighted are the deadwood, and ones not good enough. Which are the ones you ideally want out the door first. This is what I feel NP is alluding to. 

We know who needs to go, but there will not be any serious interest for clubs to purchase these players at a cost. 

9 minutes ago, Akira said:

Maybe in the hope that it makes a few of them think about knuckling down and doing the job they're paid to do, at an acceptable standard rather than the below par performances many of the players put in? 

But if NP then goes on to state that most of those players will still be here regardless, what’s the incentive?

If they’ve already decided they’re not on board with NPs plan, but know they are staying then they could easily plod along collecting a wage without any real need to knuckle down.

There’s no real threat to underperforming players here is what I’m getting at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Statistically that’s bound to be the case, isn’t it?

We have used 29 players this season, only one of those (Simpson) has officially left so far & Bakinson is probably likely to.

Only 4 who have featured (Klose, Cundy, King & O’Dowda) are out of contract & the first 2 of those could get new contracts & even the other two might (much less likely).

We will probably move on 4 or so others, we know the ones we don’t want or cannot afford, but anyone thinking we are getting rid of double figures in numbers like last season is naive.

Probably 4 or 5 in again & 7 out.

Completely agree. Gone are the days where we would ship 7 to bring in 14. Leaning more on the youth, you’d expect a selection of Conway, Bell, Benarous, Idehen, Towler, perhaps Kadji and Owers as well to see more first team appearances. I think your assessment on the OOC players is about right too. 

Taking the step back, if we brought in 4 players, say two defenders, a midfielder and a striker, who were solid championship quality, kept Klose and Cundy, then hopefully move on Palmer, Wells, COD (ooc), King (ooc), Moore, and a couple others who either don’t warrant the wage (Kalas) or haven’t quite made the grade (Vyner). If we did that, would we be mad? We shouldn’t be.

Of course, this is all on the assumption that Webster and Kelly don’t transfer in the summer and land is a big sell on. Or if we cash in on HNM and/or Scott. That could tweak a few theories!

Edited by RobArnold10
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

That’s quite obvious, 4-6 will go so certainly not a majority. I didn’t expect him to say anything different to be honest.

Absolutely.

There are some weird responses to this thread.

Last Saturday’s 18 man squad probably only included Wells as someone we would move on this summer if the circumstances were right, because bluntly we can’t really afford him, even though he’s shown himself to be a decent professional this season.

That’s 17 players who could well stay then, plus Tanner who isn’t fit at present & Pring who didn’t make the squad, that’s 19.

That’s easily the majority of the squad, even if we sold one of HNM, Scott or Semenyo to help balance the books.

Really can’t see the issue here.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Or he'll stay and see out his contract on good money and not play football.

Makes me wonder exactly what’s going on with him …NP says very little about him and he’s nowhere near the first team and on a pretty decent wage I should imagine.

Will he ever play for us again ?

I would be more surprised if he said "most won't be"

It's incredibly unlikely that he's going to offload half the squad isn't it?! 

As long as he gets rid of the players where we are paying too much wages for their contribution to the team, then that's fine by me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes. He wasn't prepared to drop to league one to get games so realistically he'll be here doing sweet fa all next season. Maybe he'll get a wake up call in the January transfer window and make some effort to secure a contact elsewhere. Whatever the case he'll be dropping his earnings by more than half - probably more than three quarters if he goes to league one - for his next contract, if he gets one anywhere.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

First, the comment is just managing expectations of wholesale changes this summer.

I see Palmer as the most important move. Having him hanging around and not playing, whilst on top money is a constant distraction from the job in hand. I don’t know what he is like as a person ie. Is football just a job, or does he have a real passion for playing the game.

If it’s the former he could just see out his contract, or wait and see if there is a change of manager who might play him. He might also be thinking that in another 12 months football finances will improve and he will get a better contract than moving now. The down side is he wasn’t pulling up any trees last season, has not played this, and there is no expectation of him playing next season. If he waits out his contract finding another club on any sort of decent money is pretty close to zero. So there is pressure on him to move, if he is actually bothered about playing. I think the reality is, for Wells as well, we will have to pay up a proportion of his outstanding contract to get him to go.

48 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

That’s quite obvious, 4-6 will go so certainly not a majority. I didn’t expect him to say anything different to be honest.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

15 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

I would be more surprised if he said "most won't be"

It's incredibly unlikely that he's going to offload half the squad isn't it?! 

As long as he gets rid of the players where we are paying too much wages for their contribution to the team, then that's fine by me.

Yep, I think the OP is not really qualifying the use of the word “most”.  Most , being more than half, will still be here.  He also said there won’t be a major overhaul, so we aren’t gonna see a dozen leave for example.

image.thumb.png.48165e71c472cb1f3744f4425bc66a68.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cityfan1958 said:

I think the reality is, for Wells as well, we will have to pay up a proportion of his outstanding contract to get him to go.

I think Wells will go  because he wants to play, maybe we'll have to ease the move with cash in some way. I don't think Palmer is the same character, he's apparently on good money here, nowhere near the team, hasn't been able to get into anybody else's team anywhere, which suggests a problem with his attitude more than just his ability. He has no reason to give up his contract here, so he'll stay and take the cash or we'll have to pay him up to get rid.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1