IGNORED

Derby County away match day thread

Derby County have played at Pride Park Stadium since 1997 as a replacement for their former home, the Baseball Ground. The stadium was built as part of the commercial redevelopment of the area, and was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 18th July 1997. We won’t be visiting Pride Park next season unless that is we get Derby in a cup game!

A new addition to the RamsTV output for the 2021/22 campaign has been the monthly ‘We Are Derby’ documentary series which provides supporters with an insight into the inner workings of the club: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/04/we-are-derby-the-ramstv-series-so-far-2022

Connections between us and them include Chris Martin, who was their top scorer for two consecutive seasons and Andi Weinmann who also played for them. Chris Martin (225 appearances / 76 goals) and Andi Weimann (88 appearances / 9 goals) will both be hoping to do well against their former club.

After a year out of football, Nigel Pearson was appointed manager of Derby County on a three-year contract on 27 May 2016. On 27 September 2016, he was suspended by the club pending an internal investigation, following a row with owner Mel Morris. It was later claimed that the row began with Pearson's objection to Morris's use of drones to observe training sessions. Pearson left the club by mutual consent on 8 October 2016, with Derby 20th in the Championship.

After losing there on Good Friday Marco Silva said ‘A fantastic atmosphere they created in their stadium. Fantastic for a team that are in a tough position with everything that has happened with them this season.’

On Easter Monday the Rams needed to match Reading's result or they would be relegated. If both teams drew the two teams would have be separated by nine points with three games left to play, however, Derby have a vastly inferior goal difference. With two minutes of the 90 to go Derby were drawing and Reading were losing. In the event Derby lost 1-0 away at QPR this is how the BBC captured it: 88 minute Goal! Queens Park Rangers 1, Derby County 0. Luke Amos (Queens Park Rangers) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Lyndon Dykes.

While Reading who were at home against Swansea fought back from 4-1 down to draw with this equalizer: 90'+5' Goal! Reading 4, Swansea City 4. Tom McIntyre (Reading) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Lucas João with a headed pass.

Which meant Derby were relegated.

If they’d not had 21 points deducted they’d be above us on 52 points, in 17th spot.

Derby have been in administration since September. Prospective new owner Chris Kirchner has set up a file at Companies House to complete a takeover of the club. On April 7 the American businessman was named as the preferred bidder for Derby County, by the club’s administrators. 

Kirchner, 34, said back in October he wanted to take Derby out of administration and was seeking approval from the English Football League (EFL) to become the owner of the club.

“Following a rigorous and well-documented marketing process, the joint administrators… have accepted an offer from Chris Kirchner to acquire Derby County Football club out of administration,” the administrators said in a statement “Mr Kirchner had initially expressed an interest in acquiring the club in late 2021, and the joint administrators have welcomed Mr Kirchner’s renewed interest.”

Kirchner told the BBC that “there is still a lot of work to do”, but that he is “excited for the future.” His bid does not include the stadium, which is owned by the club’s former majority shareholder Mel Morris. Kirchner is the CEO of software company Slync.io, a global logistics technology provider and has an estimated net worth of £3-4 million – not enough to buy Derby County on its own. The administrator had already turned down bids believed to be in the region of £40 million, but included the acquisition of the Pride Park stadium from Morris. It is understood that £50 million was closer to the expected price.

Details of Kirchner’s financing have not been revealed, nor has the price he has offered for the club. A company listed under the name 9CK Sports Holdings has been registered by an American under the name 'Christopher Stephen Kirchner' with his role listed as that of director. The company was incorporated on April 12 and has a share capital of £1, a nominal amount needed to set the company up.

Antoine Semenyo is available and Joe Williams, Andy King and George Tanner will all be in contention to be included in the squad, Calum O’Dowda may also feature in the squad. A decision on Jay DaSilva will be left as long as possible but NP certainly won’t take any chances with him.

Derby will be without Tom Lawrence who saw red on Monday after getting a second yellow card in the 98 minute. Rooney named his squad early. Barring any last-minute changes, the team will be: Allsop; Byrne, Davies, Stearman, Forsyth; Bird, Thompson; Ebiowei, Morrison, Watson; Cybulski. Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of the game, Rooney said: "It is a chance to look at players, a couple of the young lads who have been around the first team. There will be a chance for me to look at them, to see how they cope with it for next season. So I will do that but also with the mindset of winning the game. We want to win and finish the season strong. Louie Watson will start and young Barts (Cybulski) will start up front. They both deserve it. Watto has been on the fringe of it, and it is only through the form of Liam Thompson and Max Bird, and players in that position, that he just hasn't quite broken through yet. There has been a plan with Louie Watson to work on for next season, which we have done, and Bart has done well. I just want to see how they deal with it from the start."

Colin Bloomfield was an English radio personality best known for his coverage of Derby County F.C. on BBC Radio Derby, as a presenter, reporter and commentator. Following his terminal prognosis for melanoma, he became an activist and fundraiser, setting up an eponymous appeal to educate children about the illness. He died aged 33 on 25 April 2015. On 40 minutes today there will be a minutes applause for him.

Thomas Bramall will oversee this afternoon's match. He has overseen 30 games so far this season in all competitions, showing 96 yellow cards and six red cards. Bramall will be assisted by Nick Greenhalgh and Akil Howson on the lines, whilst Geoff Eltringham has been appointed as the fourth official.

Pubs

Derby dribble

• On the 8th September 1888, the first ever football league matches were played. Derby County were away to Bolton Wanderers for their first ever league game, and came away 6-3 winners. No league table was ever actually published after the first league fixtures, but based on modern day calculations, Derby County would’ve topped the table due to their goal difference and goals scored.
  • In 1975, Derby County met European giants Real Madrid in the Second Round of the European Cup. The Rams ran out 4-1 winners against the Spaniards, with David Nish scoring to add to Charlie George’s hat-trick, with Pirri scoring the visitors’ consolation. However, Derby couldn’t progress through to the next round, losing 5-1 in the return leg at the Bernabeu, meaning the Rams crashed out of the competition due to a 6-5 aggregate loss.
  • When Derby moved into the Baseball Ground in 1895, they were forced to evict gypsies off the site, and one apparently responded by putting a curse on the club: that they would never win the FA Cup. Over the next eight years, Derby reached three FA Cup finals, and lost on all three occasions. The curse finally appeared to be lifted in 1946, when Derby beat Charlton 4-1 in the FA Cup final. Jackie Stamps scored twice in that game, with rumours claiming that the day before the final, he had visited a gypsy to pay to have the curse lifted.
  • Derby are infamous for holding the record of the lowest points tally in a Premier League campaign, claiming just 11 during the 2007/08 season winning only one of their 38 games.
  • The team nickname, The Rams, is a tribute to its links with the First Regiment of Derby Militia, which took a ram as its mascot.
  • Looking forward Derby have only five players contracted for next season, are under a transfer embargo and cannot renew contracts as they remain in administration.

The traveling Cider Army have been superb yet again this season, well done to all who have made the trip today, be safe and here’s to you cheering the team to a victory, COYR!

5020D76B-00E4-4E5D-BD63-4370583A960A.jpeg

2D1AC781-C5DF-4E90-8EE7-05553C615B99.webp

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Robin 3
  • Admin

In their current plight I have been impressed with Wayne Rooney, he could surely afford to have walked away and not had the relegation on his CV.  I’m not wholly convinced the best way to punish a club is retrospective points deductions, it has penalised the players, the Manager and the fans, all of whom were totally innocent.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

In their current plight I have been impressed with Wayne Rooney, he could surely afford to have walked away and not had the relegation on his CV.  I’m not wholly convinced the best way to punish a club is retrospective points deductions, it has penalised the players, the Manager and the fans, all of whom were totally innocent.

Since owners aren't personally liable how do you sanction clubs without affecting fans?

And fans aren't innocent bystanders if they take no interest in how their clubs are run while demanding their owners take financial risks to secure promotion.

Any sympathy I have for Derby fans is tempered by the fact that they appeared mostly to back Morris as he ran their club into the ground.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
22 minutes ago, TomF said:

Bless them, they’ve actually disabled links from here to their forum.   

How pathetic. Do their Admins not know the site is directly accessible anyway? Complicated stuff this web thingy.

Make sure your anti malware software is up to date though you don't want to be infected with conspiracy thinking and delusions of grandeur.?

Perhaps they should move the site to the dark web. Otherwise known as League 1.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, TomF said:

Bless them, they’ve actually disabled links from here to their forum.   

Think a nerve has been touched…

”The one good thing about the new Financial Statements from Quantuma is that Bristol fans will be so busy analysing and commenting on them, there won't be any of them in the stadium tomorrow.”

?

• Haha 7
8 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s tedious and pointless as you say. Why would you block traffic to a site. 

Absolute village mentality.  Maybe I should make the forum appear upside down if they click on links to here 

You mean I've been holding my device the wrong way up all this time??

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Just reading through their matchday thread on their forum (yes, I used Google my insanely good hacking skills to get around the block).

They really don't like us do they? :laugh:

It’s so odd. I can’t think of a history of any sort. They’ve never been on our radar. Is it Pearson? 

14 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s tedious and pointless as you say. Why would you block traffic to a site. 

Absolute village mentality.  Maybe I should make the forum appear upside down if they click on links to here 

Maybe blocked with a message ‘viewable to Championship sides only’.

But then I am a small small man.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Just reading through their matchday thread on their forum (yes, I used Google my insanely good hacking skills to get around the block).

They really don't like us do they? :laugh:

@Mr Popodopolous has a lot to answer for! :D

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh. They were also confident of:

1. Staying out of administration 

2. Getting one over the EFL 

3. Not getting relegated

4. Mel Morris' accounting practices

5. Keeping Ebosele, Jozwiak, Jagielka etc

6. The list goes on.

7. (possibly my favourite) Mel Morris is a lifelong fan and with his wealth he would never leave Derby in the lurch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Pubs

The Navigation is the designated away fans pub but the opposite side of the ground to centre, a bit of a dump, and compared to the cracking real ale pubs one to avoid.

Anyone in the Brunswick up until about 2pm feel free to shout 'Popodopolous' and I'll buy you a beer.

• Haha 9
6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

7. (possibly my favourite) Mel Morris is a lifelong fan and with his wealth he would never leave Derby in the lurch.

They are currently also confident that 

8. "The whole squad want to stay".

Yeh. Sure. Of course they all desperately want to stay and play in league one next season. ? 

Anyway, I'd reckon this is a 2-2 draw.

Edited by ExiledAjax
36 minutes ago, Derby_Ram said:

The Navigation is the designated away fans pub but the opposite side of the ground to centre, a bit of a dump, and compared to the cracking real ale pubs one to avoid.

Anyone in the Brunswick up until about 2pm feel free to shout 'Popodopolous' and I'll buy you a beer.

You'll need a hearing aid after today!

I've now found a link to their forum that works. https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/39560-derby-county-vs-bristol-city-matchday-thread-saturday-3pm-kick-off/

The match day thread is already four pages long. Some are posting to say how proud they are of their team, others just being rude about not just City, but even Bristol as a whole.

This season has been one of, if not, the best in my 27 years as a ST holder. The bond built between the club and the fans is unbelievable.

Apparently, there's only one team in Bristol, but I have to ask : would anyone outside of Bristol notice if there were no teams in Bristol?

• Hmmm 1