IGNORED

Happy St. George's Day

The Gasbuster

"Heroism  on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes in the name of patriotism".........that is a quote from Albert Einstein.  I am not saying he is right, or that I am right ....but it cannot be called inaccurate, because it is a matter of opinion, NOT fact.  So it cannot be inaccurate., if it is opinion and not a fact.    Sorry, but  what the hell does "Aspects of nationalism"  even mean?   If you truly believe that a bloke called George, cut off a Dragon's head in the 14th Century....then   that is your opinion....and your welcome to it?

Edited by maxjak

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Patriotism is being proud of your country and believing it to be a decent place, something that the current government (and Brexit) are making it very hard to do.

nationalism is blindly believing your country is superior to all others regardless of evidence, something that the current government (and Brexit) are a shining example of.

I'm going to stop now as this is in football chat and not Politics :P

Yes, please do stop as you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

Anyway, Happy St George’s Day fellow Reds. ???????

• Like 3

St. George's Day is our day to celebrate England and being English.

Some English people will find any reason not to be proud of England and to try and mock those who are.

Strange lot, but **** 'em, especially today.

Happy St. George's Day to proud English men and women everywhere. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Some English people will find any reason not to be proud of England and to try and mock those who are.

Tedious and this year the self loathers have a new joke.

"St George was Turkish and the Tories would have sent him to Rwanda". 

Moving on.

I'm a proud England belongs to me man meself.

57 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's a myth that there are a lot of people that hate England.

What people mock the plastic patriotism of those who use things like St George's Day to pretend England is somehow superior to everyone else.

We have a long proud history of self depreciation and self mockery in this country. We should never allow sensitive right wing snowflakes to stop our piss taking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Is it strange not to feel proud of your country?

9 hours ago, maxjak said:

Patriotism............next to Religion, the biggest cause of most of the world's problems.  St George was probably Turkish or Syrian......and it's all a myth which never happened anyway  Ha!!i?     

3 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

?

To be strictly accurate, St George - if he existed, there is no contemporaneous record of him - would be Greek, or at least Greek-speaking.

Turks didn't live in the Middle East until 900 years after St George's martyrdom (if indeed it happened) while Arabs (and hence "Syrians" and "Palestinians") still lived mainly in what is now Saudi Arabia until 400 years after his death. 

Anyway, I hope everyone's having a good ??????? Day.  I shall go out now and celebrate my nationality by sinking a few pints of best English ale. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

We should forget about St George and start celebrating St Edmund's Day on 20 November.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Edmund-original-Patron-Saint-of-England/

great shout but for me, King Alfred should be our patron saint, not exactly a Saint but the guy created England and while we're there, "Jerusalem" for our national anthem, every other country on the planet is allowed one but not us

Edited by Red Cloud

1 hour ago, Red Cloud said:

King Alfred should be our patron saint, not exactly a Saint but the guy created England

He wanted to, but he never managed it. His grandson, King Athelstan, was the first king of England.

Interestingly, Athelstan's brother Edmund succeeded him as king and ruled until he was murdered in Pucklechurch. Which remains the only interesting thing about Pucklechurch. ;) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

SHUT UP.

Dragons ARE real.

How else do you explain getting a Mr Whippy ice-crean WITH DRAGONS BLOOD on it.

You probably think of it as 'strawberry syrup' or something. But you're wrong. 

IT'S. THE. BLOOD. OF. DRAGONS.

Mother-in-Law comes to mind :gasmask: :whistle2:

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

He wanted to, but he never managed it. His grandson, King Athelstan, was the first king of England.

Interestingly, Athelstan's brother Edmund succeeded him as king and ruled until he was murdered in Pucklechurch. Which remains the only interesting thing about Pucklechurch. ;) 

Plus, he was always a bit mean to Uhtred son of Uhtred. 

• Haha 2

Seconded re Alfred - born in Wantage, kicked the Vikings’ sorry arses and essentially saved the last Anglo-Saxon Kingdom, brought in a new era of sage learning in England, was responsible for the advent of the English navy and yet is remembered for something he almost certainly didn’t do - burning some cakes.

A truly remarkable man. Read “The White Horse King” for the full story. Probably his grandson deserves the epithet of the original “King of the English” but it would never have been possible without Alfred’s escapades.

I was born a stone’s throw from the AD 878 battle site of Edington where he slapped the Danes but it is hopelessly obscure compared to Hastings, Agincourt, et al. Tis a crying shame.

• Like 1