IGNORED

Andi Weimann

Lanterne Rouge

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I was strongly against the signing of Wells. It was a vanity signing of a player in the most purple patch of all the purple patches in purple patch town. It was expensive, unnecessary, and typified the Ashton style.

Agree, it's not Wells himself I have an issue with. More what he represents.

Completely agree with this.

I still cringe when I hear someone say "Proven 20 goal per season striker". Wells had never scored 20 at this level before (and had often failed to get anywhere near 20). This isn't a criticism of Wells, it's a criticism of the idea that you can even buy a "Proven 20 goal per season striker". You can't. Such players are only realistic targets for Premier League teams, or those teams yo-yoing between the Premier League and Championship.

As you say, we paid very big money for a 30 year old striker on the basis that he was in good form and was a well known name. We didn't appear to consider how well he'd fit into our set-up, whether he'd address the issues the team was having at the time, whether his market value would fall etc.  

I also wonder whether it was:

A) a signing of convenience, since we were already working with Burnley on a deal for Brownhill

B) a "big name" signing to simply make the fans happy, given that Brownhill was leaving

32 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I actually feel really sorry for Wells. Probably didn't want to come, scored goals in a crap side on arrival and has since been shunted out wide and stuck on the bench.

Also agree with this.

Wells has conducted himself well since he arrived, and has come across as a good professional. 

I think he's been a bit unlucky with the state of the club he joined. Under LJ/Holden, he was often either playing out of position on the wing, or playing up front for the least creative side in the division. It was always going to be tough for him in those circumstances.

All in all, a major cock-up from the club. No thought. No plan. Instead making decisions like a 10 year old playing Football Manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offside said:

Fantastic season from Weimann. I’m really pleased for him to have got the 20 goals. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

9 assists as well!

I want him to get the assist to get the “double double”.

Everyone else has beaten me to it.

Top player, top pro.

Pearson some credit for getting him to sign a deal on less money.

Weimann now has 40+ league goals.  Another good season next season and he could make the 50 league goals honours board in the Lansdown Stand.

Cool finish today.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Gonna give him a new contract / payrise then?

No reason for us to do so with him under contract for a pittance until he is 32 but in a world of no loyalty , it would certainly be a nice touch

I did hear a story (no idea on ITKness of the person) that he might get a new deal (sane length) in recognition of his season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Couldn't happen to a better pro. An example for others to follow.

Well done Andi.

So true, loved this player from day 1 & couldn't fathom why some were wanting him out not so long ago. My growing concern is that we will be challenged to keep AW after his 20+ goal season (season isn't done yet).

What a star ???.

• Like 2

I’ve posted for years on here that Weimann is the best, and most intelligent, footballer at our club. And I’ve been criticised and shouted down for that point of view - mostly from the “he only runs around a lot” brigade. And I reckon most of the early sceptics are now the ones on here singing his praises! Yep, there are a few, and they know who they are!

I had a brief chat with Andi in the Sainsbury’s on Winterstoke Road in the days after a horrid defeat - he was magnificent - it was obvious he was still gutted and he said he felt the lads had let the fans down and they were all absolutely determined to put things right. He was brilliant and a credit to our club. 

Not many players would come back from a horrible injury, as Andi has done, and deliver a 20 goal return - he is our best player - and he should be our captain next season ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 5

Very well deserved.

In his 1st 3 seasons, he was shunted all over the place. Last season he had a lengthy injury, despite that his record in the circumstances wasn't too bad.

I remember the clever runs in his 1st season, as well as the great start of 5 goals and 1 assist in his 1st 6 League games- when played as a striker! That showed signs of what a class act he could be.

Further, the fact that those runs were not picked was on us mainly not him, he was slightly ahead of the curve.

Shunted to the wing, no complaints- FFS not even wide right in a front 3 which I get but wing! Even then he had some assists as well as 2-3 goals wrongly disallowed for offside.

Yeah enjoy it Andi. Well deserved, toasted it with a Thatchers tonight.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

In my 40 plus years as a City fan I can’t think of a harder-working or more professional player than Andi Weimann. He always runs himself into the ground, no matter what position he plays, and he will be remembered for years to come. And he is not just a work-horse either, he is a quality player. He deserves the glory of his 20 goal season.  

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Offside said:

In my 40 plus years as a City fan I can’t think of a harder-working or more professional player than Andi Weimann. He always runs himself into the ground, no matter what position he plays, and he will be remembered for years to come. And he is not just a work-horse either, he is a quality player. He deserves the glory of his 20 goal season.  

Spot on

The player he most reminds me of for his constant running and runs (And at times he’s constantly ruining 30-40 yard doggies, not 10 yard runs) , but one who didn’t have the ability and end product of Andi is

Liam Robinson

Another player much derided, and ultimately didn’t have the quality for this level ,  but who , I at least admired for his work rate and what he did for the team - he certainly played his part in the Liverpool games 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He`d be pushing 200 appearances for us if not for his ACL.

If he sees out his current contract he could potentially get 250ish with 60 odd goals. Outside chance of hall of fame potential there. Would certainly be in a "team of the 20's"...probably already is to be fair.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If he sees out his current contract he could potentially get 250ish with 60 odd goals. Outside chance of hall of fame potential there. Would certainly be in a "team of the 20's"...probably already is to be fair.

In the context that we`ve been pretty crap for most of that time it makes his achievement look a lot better.

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

In the context that we`ve been pretty crap for most of that time it makes his achievement look a lot better.

Sure, and Semenyo could yet play for us for the whole decade and score 200 goals and earn himself a statue next to Atyeo...but for the first little bit of the decade Weimann is up there.

• Like 1