IGNORED

Idehen Signs Two-Year Deal ✍️

Port Said Red

In thought Idehen did extremely well when he came on. Marking the only player that Derby had who could make a difference. He didn't take him right out of the game, there are few in this league who have, but he certainly got in some important challenges and kept him much quieter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 3

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Fantastic last ditch tackle on Ebiowei to prevent a Derby second. Well done Duncan. 

Certainly was.

For a lad who is really a CB, he did a steady job.

Been told we offered him a long contract a few weeks ago, guess he’s signed it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Did really well. Seem him a couple of times for the U23s and he's looked good.

Certainly in contention to be in the 1st team squad for next season.

Steady on. He's only currently contracted until the end of the season. I hope we come to terms with him because he looks like he might be able to do a steady job at this level.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Really excited by this guy, has looked great for the u23's and has a had a very quick rise to the 1st team, was he released by grimsby or did we pay for him ? 

Released…due to Grimsby cutting budgets on relegation.

Then again, I read today he’d had a falling out there…but hadn’t seen that mentioned anywhere else previously.

Credit to Tinnion for spotting him, and then pouncing after his trial spell at Brum cane to nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Then again, I read today he’d had a falling out there…but hadn’t seen that mentioned anywhere else previously.

Credit to Tinnion for spotting him, and then pouncing after his trial spell at Brum cane to nothing.

great that we are picking these players up early, obviously it's only one game but how many times have we picked young players up and they've not really come to anything or been linked with players who go onto to do great things elsewhere who we could have got, whilst there are loads of things our club needs to sort out, our u23's recruitment and development is certainly a massive positive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I wondered if the 6 months was to check his attitude. There may have been some doubt because he had fallen out with previous employers, you can never know whether that's the player fault or not, so sensible to check.

The thing I have liked in the U23 games is that he seems to be an organiser and leader, we need as many of those on the pitch as we can get.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Great to see another young player come into the side . Pearson and Tins clearly working well together . Finally a proper direction and strategy. 

Agree Billy

And Pearson brave enough to blood these youngsters 

The only time you will get a sense of whether they are or will be good enough is when you put them in

• Like 5

I was at Pride Park today and Idehen was great.  It wasn't the difficult things which impressed me, but the simple ones, he seems to understand when to kick it into row z and when to flick it along the touchline.

Edited by Hxj
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Street red said:

I've said all along Pearson will get quality out of a quality player not just that he will get the best out of a experienced pro but the fact now the younger players have Pearson to look up to and knock on. Seems to have loads of enthusiasm.

There will obviously be some casualties along the way if they don’t want to play ball, but it feel like “Nige loves his boys” in a similar way to Cotts.  He’s slowly turning the tide, showing them what a winner looks like.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Has he leapfrogged Towler then?

Think Towler is still coming back from injury, he hasn’t featured for the 23s & he is young enough to do so.

Pearson doesn’t exactly shower players with compliments but said he expects Towler to be a first team squad player next season.

I think Idehen typifies the type of CB/Defender that NP wants.

He's described the way we defend as "Passive"; and obviously wants physically strong people at the heart of his defence. Idehen seems to tick some of those boxes.

Yes, the current trio of Cundy, Klose & Atkinson haven't been pretty at times; and the days of a Websteresque great footballing CB may be behind us somewhat. But the last 4 performances in particular have shown a willingness to compete at a level of physicality  that I think NP will have been impressed by. He loves Baker of course, but we all know where that story is probably heading.

So it's a goodbye to players like Vyner, Moore & probably in a way Kalas who NP probably thinks are part of the passive malaise. Towler will hopefully have impressed his physicality during his injury break, so it maybe a fresh start for him in pre season friendlies. Let's see how he gets on, and hopefully banishes the memories of that Millwall game.

Kalas is a wonderful defender on his day, and certainly a top defender in the championship. But as a unit, he's quiet, doesn't take control (You only have to look at the difference Klose has made in that regard in the last few months); and sometimes seems to be trying too hard to cover for the deficiencies of others. That has had an effect on his own performances of course.

He's on huge wages, we can't afford them really; and neither can we afford to let him leave for nothing next summer. I've no doubt the operation he has had to "clear up" problems he has had for a few years, is in preparation for future medicals elsewhere.

Interesting where we go with the keeper situation (both OOC summer 23, but MOL has an option year of course). Plus JD entering his last year of contract. I've been so impressed by his return to form of late, after a really poor 18 months due to injury and form.

Roll on the summer ?.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unfortunately Ryley had something of a 'mare in the Millwall match and had to be subbed at half-time.  I imagine that would set back his first team aspirations here for a while. 

Because NP is such a good manager, he subbed Towler to protect him rather than as a punishment as some previous City managers would have!

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Because NP is such a good manager, he subbed Towler to protect him rather than as a punishment as some previous City managers would have!

Oh, I agree. But also changed the shape of the defence to protect our goal!

That game was one of the ultimate "game of two halves".

That doesn't mean Towler has been written off.  As I said on the Semenyo thread, young players all develop at a different pace and Ryley has only just turned 20.  Plenty of time to improve and learn. 

• Like 2